Clemson Makes Dabo Highest Paid Coach in the Nation (10 years, $93 million) - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

Re: Clemson Makes Dabo Highest Paid Coach in the Nation (10 years, $93 million)

Good on Dabo.

Dude can coach and knows how to lead. May get on our nerves with his rah-rah stuff, but he knows how to fire up his orange base, keep coaches and players (at least those who don't get arrested), and raise money.

What he's done from the day he became HBC at Clemson is really remarkable.

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

BTW, these contracts like CNS & CDS and others have is what will get players paid sooner rather than later.

BamaNation First Team

A little insight into the minds of some Clemson fans. I have relatives in SC that are big time Clemson fans. I was out there earlier this year (first time I'd seen them since the game) and of course they gave me some good natured ribbing. One thing that stuck out from conversations with them and others is that they are more proud of beating Alabama than they are of winning the championship. No one mentioned the national championship, it was all talk about beating Bama.

Now, as for Dabo. Regardless of where he finishes up his coaching career, he is young enough that he has a realistic chance at becoming the perceived GOAT. Let's face it...Saban has 5, maybe 10 years at most. Dabo has upwards of 20 years left to coach. I don't see anyone in the ACC rising to challenge them anytime soon, so if he stays at Clemson he could continue to win championships and surpass Saban in numbers. If he chooses to come to Bama when the real GOAT retires, he could also continue down the path of winning, albeit with a little more difficulty. Probably not what we want to hear or admit to, but there is a real chance he could have more titles than Saban.

BamaNation All-American Mystical's Avatar

With this many of you will probably get your desire of Dabo never coaching here.
    WHERE EVER YOU GO, YOU TAKE YOURSELF WITH YOU

BamaNation Second Team

He's a great guy and a great coach.

Good for him.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrusso View Post
    A little insight into the minds of some Clemson fans. I have relatives in SC that are big time Clemson fans. I was out there earlier this year (first time I'd seen them since the game) and of course they gave me some good natured ribbing. One thing that stuck out from conversations with them and others is that they are more proud of beating Alabama than they are of winning the championship. No one mentioned the national championship, it was all talk about beating Bama.

Now, as for Dabo. Regardless of where he finishes up his coaching career, he is young enough that he has a realistic chance at becoming the perceived GOAT. Let's face it...Saban has 5, maybe 10 years at most. Dabo has upwards of 20 years left to coach. I don't see anyone in the ACC rising to challenge them anytime soon, so if he stays at Clemson he could continue to win championships and surpass Saban in numbers. If he chooses to come to Bama when the real GOAT retires, he could also continue down the path of winning, albeit with a little more difficulty. Probably not what we want to hear or admit to, but there is a real chance he could have more titles than Saban.
    It's difficult to blame them. We've been on a run like no other for over a decade now, and they've managed to beat us twice. Over the past 5 years they are our equal. I'd say beating us, during this run, may indeed mean more than the actual title. In 20 years, the trophies will mean more, sure. But now? I get their point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical View Post
    With this many of you will probably get your desire of Dabo never coaching here.
    This contract is in no way any sort of impediment to Dabo coaching at Alabama. The buyout is pennies, and we can easily match the 9.3 per year rate. The questions are and will always be, will we want him when the time comes and does he want to be here? Money won't be a factor.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Money ain't going to keep Dabo from coming here. Community and family will be the deciding factor.

He's got two rings now. He's going to be a well-paid man the rest of his working days.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

I know Clemson folks are very proud (and should be) of their recent championship run. The problem is, unless they continue winning them AND stop Bama from winning anymore. This run (from a historical perspective) is going to fall in the shadow of the greatest championship run in college football history. I'm not saying they're going to be a footnote. But this "run" Bama is on has lasted dang near ten years and signs pointing to that it's not over yet. Clemson's run started right in the middle of Bama's, now running parallel with it. Again, I'm not taking ANYTHING away from Clemson or Dabo. Just saying it is very likely that when looked at and/or remembered from a historical perspective. It may not get the credit it deserves because of the run Bama is on as well.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNation View Post
    Good on Dabo.

Dude can coach and knows how to lead. May get on our nerves with his rah-rah stuff, but he knows how to fire up his orange base, keep coaches and players (at least those who don't get arrested), and raise money.

What he's done from the day he became HBC at Clemson is really remarkable.
    What I find interesting about Dabo is how he got over the hump. For years he couldn't get it done and lost key games that prevented Clemson from being a National Championship contender. He was even labeled a "Choker" for a while. Then the lightbulb turned on and Clemson stopped losing the type of games that became the hallmark of his average career. So what was it? FSU's fall from the throne? Miami being mired in mediocrity? Did Dabo hire one or two position coaches that made the difference? Was it a change in recruiting philosophy, learning from mistakes... yada, yada? Something has changed in their program enabling them to have tremendous success over the last 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by DawgByte View Post
    What I find interesting about Dabo is how he got over the hump. For years he couldn't get it done and lost key games that prevented Clemson from being a National Championship contender. He was even labeled a "Choker" for a while. Then the lightbulb turned on and Clemson stopped losing the type of games that became the hallmark of his average career. So what was it? FSU's fall from the throne? Miami being mired in mediocrity? Did Dabo hire one or two position coaches that made the difference? Was it a change in recruiting philosophy, learning from mistakes... yada, yada? Something has changed in their program enabling them to have tremendous success over the last 4 years.
    Chad Morris and Brent Venables happened.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Personally, I think Dabo may have done what most people in life never do and that's take a look in the mirror and truly self evaluate. People who end up being great have the ability to drop the pride and make changes about themselves. He made me a believer in the first national title game against them when they went toe to toe with us from a physicality standpoint. Most teams in the country cannot hold up against us like they did. They were our equal from a tenacity and physical standpoint. Money doesn't buy that nor does hiring an assistant coach. That type change comes from the head coach.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Personally, I think Dabo may have done what most people in life never do and that's take a look in the mirror and truly self evaluate. People who end up being great have the ability to drop the pride and make changes about themselves. He made me a believer in the first national title game against them when they went toe to toe with us from a physicality standpoint. Most teams in the country cannot hold up against us like they did. They were our equal from a tenacity and physical standpoint. Money doesn't buy that nor does hiring an assistant coach. That type change comes from the head coach.
    I think there's a lot of truth to what you say. I also agree with RTR91 that Morris and Venables have made a significant contribution to their recent success. Venables will be a HC soon, unless he's not interested.

I think there's a lot of truth to what you say. I also agree with RTR91 that Morris and Venables have made a significant contribution to their recent success. Venables will be a HC soon, unless he's not interested.
    Wasn't Venables there when they got blown out a few times? Maybe my memory is messing with me, but I think he was there when they got skull drug on the scoreboard a few times in big games.