Clemson Makes Dabo Highest Paid Coach in the Nation (10 years, $93 million) - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Re: Clemson Makes Dabo Highest Paid Coach in the Nation (10 years, $93 million)

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Chad Morris and Brent Venables happened.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Wasn't Venables there when they got blown out a few times? Maybe my memory is messing with me, but I think he was there when they got skull drug on the scoreboard a few times in big games.
    Venables replaced Kevin Steele as DC after Clemson got blown out by WVU 70-33 in 2011.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Wasn't Venables there when they got blown out a few times? Maybe my memory is messing with me, but I think he was there when they got skull drug on the scoreboard a few times in big games.
    Kevin Steele was the DC when West Virgina skulldragged them in a bowl game. He was fired and Venables was hired.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Third Team

I know Clemson folks are very proud (and should be) of their recent championship run. The problem is, unless they continue winning them AND stop Bama from winning anymore. This run (from a historical perspective) is going to fall in the shadow of the greatest championship run in college football history. I'm not saying they're going to be a footnote. But this "run" Bama is on has lasted dang near ten years and signs pointing to that it's not over yet. Clemson's run started right in the middle of Bama's, now running parallel with it. Again, I'm not taking ANYTHING away from Clemson or Dabo. Just saying it is very likely that when looked at and/or remembered from a historical perspective. It may not get the credit it deserves because of the run Bama is on as well.

A great time to be a college football fan.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Thanks for the clarification on the Venables/Steele mix up. However, I don't think you can give full credit to assistant coaches for the change at Clemson without giving a lot of it to Dabo as well. Just like I tell my boys in baseball, you're either getting better or you're getting worse (as a player). There's no such thing as idle. The same I think goes with the development as a coach. You're either getting better or you're getting worse. I have a hard time believing Dabo is no better or wiser of a coach now than 7 years ago and the only reason they are where they are is because of an assistant coach who's been gone several years and one who is still there.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Thanks for the clarification on the Venables/Steele mix up. However, I don't think you can give full credit to assistant coaches for the change at Clemson without giving a lot of it to Dabo as well. Just like I tell my boys in baseball, you're either getting better or you're getting worse (as a player). There's no such thing as idle. The same I think goes with the development as a coach. You're either getting better or you're getting worse. I have a hard time believing Dabo is no better or wiser of a coach now than 7 years ago and the only reason they are where they are is because of an assistant coach who's been gone several years and one who is still there.
    Dabo was on the verge of getting fired until he hired Chad Morris, which changed their offensive philosophy. Yes, Morris is gone, but he made a major impact on how Clemson did things on offense from scheme to recruits. Things have continued that way after he left.

Venables changed the way the defense played. Their mentality changed. They got tougher and stronger.

Maybe it is just a coincidence, but those two guys had a major impact on how Clemson turned things around.
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; April 26th, 2019 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Wrong button, SORRY!
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Dabo was on the verge of getting fired until he hired Chad Morris, which changed their offensive philosophy. Yes, Morris is gone, but he made a major impact on how Clemson did things on offense from scheme to recruits. Things have continued that way after he left.

Venables changed the way the defense played. Their mentality changed. They got tougher and stronger.

Maybe it is just a coincidence, but those two guys had a major impact on how Clemson turned things around.
    Which indicates that Dabo isn't to prideful to change. Much like Coach Saban did a few years ago with finally starting to implement RPO concepts after getting hosed by them for several years. It is also a sign that he's willing to learn something new and try it. Again, that is a trait that a lot of people can't bring themselves to do and keeps a lot of people from getting better.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

We can credit the assistants but...who hired them? That’s to his credit.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

Which indicates that Dabo isn't to prideful to change. Much like Coach Saban did a few years ago with finally starting to implement RPO concepts after getting hosed by them for several years. It is also a sign that he's willing to learn something new and try it. Again, that is a trait that a lot of people can't bring themselves to do and keeps a lot of people from getting better.
    Think we're on the same page but with different thoughts. Dabo was willing to change because he was on the verge of getting fired. That change of coaches and philosophy can be seen as the reason for the turnaround at Clemson.
    -- Coach Bryant

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Think we're on the same page but with different thoughts. Dabo was willing to change because he was on the verge of getting fired. That change of coaches and philosophy can be seen as the reason for the turnaround at Clemson.
    Dabo was definitely on the "hot seat" before the change. I used to work for a clemson grad and it wasn't that long ago, he was wanting Dabo fired.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Makes one wonder the kinds of things Clemson has heard Dabo say over the years.

Also good to know they still know their place. LOL
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Third Team

The single "issue" with Swinney was very simple..................he was losing games to South Carolina.

Everything else was on the upswing.

Lost 5 in a row, then things changed.

Big time.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

This is Dabo's only HC gig. CNS learned at multiple stops and has 20 years seniority. Dabo's losses (Clemsoning) was simple him learning on the job.

He's still learning. I woudn't trade him for CNS, but I'd be happy if he follows him in about 10 years. There's no question he's the #2 best coach in the country, hands down and it's not close.