Clemson Makes Dabo Highest Paid Coach in the Nation (10 years, $93 million) - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Re: Clemson Makes Dabo Highest Paid Coach in the Nation (10 years, $93 million)

It was more than that. As a fan you should know that too...
    Quote Originally Posted by FairlyAmazing View Post
    The single "issue" with Swinney was very simple..................he was losing games to South Carolina.

Everything else was on the upswing.

Lost 5 in a row, then things changed.

Big time.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    We can credit the assistants but...who hired them? That’s to his credit.
    I agree with this, Bill. These hirings certainly changed the team's offensive and defensive philosophy and, credit Dabo having the vision to bring these two coaches on board. I also think that, like a lot of things in life, timing played a huge role. Miami had sunk to a bottom feeder, and while FSU won the 2013 NC, the program was rotting from the inside in Bowden's last several years and apparently Fisher's commitment to FSU was on "thin ice". At this point Syracuse and NC State present the only challenge to Clemson in the ACC. I am not taking anything away from Dabo's success, but the ACC is not the most powerful conference of the P5 outside the SEC.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

Clemson Makes Dabo Highest Paid Coach in the Nation (10 years, $93 million)

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Chad Morris and Brent Venables happened.
    Great leaders surround themselves with other leaders who have complementary skills and then listen. Teams (companies/ troops / etc) who have an unchallengeable leader typically don’t have sustainable success. We all think about CNS being unchallengeable but it seems very much the case he acknowledges where he is “weak” and seeks correction and feedback constantly.

There is NO DOUBT Dabo is in this same mode, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNation View Post
    Great leaders surround themselves with other leaders who have complementary skills and then listen. Teams (companies/ troops / etc) who have an unchallengeable leader typically don’t have sustainable success. We all think about CNS being unchallengeable but it seems very much the case he acknowledges where he is “weak” and seeks correction and feedback constantly.

There is NO DOUBT Dabo is in this same mode, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That is all true, but my post was in response to what changed for the program. Those two guys were the changing point. Dabo as the HC made the hires that saved his job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by The Ols View Post
    It was more than that. As a fan you should know that too...

That would be my opinion.

The season records were good.

The recruiting was really improving.

But Losing to USc doesn't sit well, no matter how good they were during that period.

BamaNation Third Team

His records were:

2009 9-5
    2010 6-7
    2011 10-4
    2012 11-2
    2013 11-2

Lost to USc each of those seasons.

If it was more than that, I'm eager to hear it.

BamaNation All-American dWarriors88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    My guess is Clemson knows deep down that if given the opportunity, Dabo would be on the first thing smoking to Tuscaloosa. I don't know if anyone listened to his acceptance speech for the Bear Bryant Award. But there's noway if you were a Clemson fan, that you could have listened to that and not started picking up on that reality.

I’m not a Clemson fan so I didn’t pick up on it, can you clarify??

BamaNation All-SEC

With the collapse of Miami, FSU and Tech, Dabo has by far the easiest path to the final 4. Clemson's ACC championship matchup would rank as the fifth- or sixth-toughest opponent that we face on any given schedule.

As for winning, it helps that he's had a generational QB twice. Clemson was absolutely gifted Notre Dame in the semis - they were able to prepare for Alabama literally from the day they benched Kelly Bryant, almost the whole season.

Which is to say: Dabo is an excellent coach, good enough to hire great people, recruit, motivate and coach up really good players, and leverages his weak schedule to concentrate on the difficult games. Now they are established, and I just saw they are #1 in the 2020 recruiting rankings, they are going to be an ongoing final-4 presence.

I hope someone outbids Clemson, he would not do as well anywhere else. But a $90M contract is basically a lockdown.

BamaNation All-American Mystical's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FairlyAmazing View Post
    His records were:

2009 9-5
    2010 6-7
    2011 10-4
    2012 11-2
    2013 11-2

Lost to USc each of those seasons.

If it was more than that, I'm eager to hear it.
    I agree with you after 2013 they started using the term Clemsoning when they lost to a good South Carolina team. Then when they lost to Ga Tech in 2014 the heads at ESPN took off with it. It was largely a Media creation. From 2011 on he had good seasons. If memory serves they thumped Ok in the bowl game in 2014. As someone who has never, even back then, made it no secret I liked Dabo I thought the term was unfair.
    WHERE EVER YOU GO, YOU TAKE YOURSELF WITH YOU

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

So much is made about recruiting stats, but as we always say you still got to develop the talent you bring in. Recruiting rankings Alabama vs Clemson 2014-2019 (Per Rivals). Seeing that both teams have won two NCs since 2014 does this place greater emphasis on coaching and less on recruiting rankings?

Alabama #1 vs Clemson #13

Alabama #2 vs Clemson #4

Alabama #1 vs Clemson #6

Alabama #1 vs Clemson #22

Alabama #7 vs Clemson #8

Alabama #2 vs Clemson #9
    Last edited by GrayTide; April 27th, 2019 at 09:44 AM.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    So much is made about recruiting stats, but as we always say you still got to develop the talent you bring in. Recruiting rankings Alabama vs Clemson 2014-2019 (Per Rivals). Seeing that both teams have won two NCs since 2014 does this place greater emphasis on coaching and less on recruiting rankings?

Alabama #1 vs Clemson #13

Alabama #2 vs Clemson #4

Alabama #1 vs Clemson #6

Alabama #1 vs Clemson #22

Alabama #7 vs Clemson #8

Alabama #2 vs Clemson #9
    2020 Clemson recruiting is already on pace to be the best recruiting class ever in the history of college football by some projections
    Last edited by 81usaf92; April 27th, 2019 at 09:51 AM.

BamaNation Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical View Post
    I agree with you after 2013 they started using the term Clemsoning when they lost to a good South Carolina team. Then when they lost to Ga Tech in 2014 the heads at ESPN took off with it. It was largely a Media creation. From 2011 on he had good seasons. If memory serves they thumped Ok in the bowl game in 2014. As someone who has never, even back then, made it no secret I liked Dabo I thought the term was unfair.

Well, ESPN creates many things.

Another opinion I hold.

Tommy Bowden avoided getting fired by beating USc most years.

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

For comparison, here are all the 2018 salaries according to USAToday.com

Surprising observations:

• Top 82 coaches make $1mm+ in total pay
    • 83-113 make between $500k - $1mm total pay
    • Hawaii's coach (Nick Rolovich) has a max bonus of $1.2mm (He's probably not going to earn it but that's huge given he's the #114 salary and everyone around him is about $400K max or less.)
    • Harbaugh's school buyout is only $17mm
    • Jimbo's school buyout is $68mm (about double the max of everybody else's)
    • Gary Patterson, David Shaw, Mark Richt, Pat Fitzgerald, Pat Narduzzi, Derek Mason, Clay Helton, Matt Luke, and Joe Moorehead have no school buyout as of 4/1/19.
    • This data is not complete (TCU and Penn St are listed as having total assistant salaries of <$1mm total!)