Clemson Makes Dabo Highest Paid Coach in the Nation (10 years, $93 million) - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Re: Clemson Makes Dabo Highest Paid Coach in the Nation (10 years, $93 million)

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    So much is made about recruiting stats, but as we always say you still got to develop the talent you bring in. Recruiting rankings Alabama vs Clemson 2014-2019 (Per Rivals). Seeing that both teams have won two NCs since 2014 does this place greater emphasis on coaching and less on recruiting rankings?

Alabama #1 vs Clemson #13

Alabama #2 vs Clemson #4

Alabama #1 vs Clemson #6

Alabama #1 vs Clemson #22

Alabama #7 vs Clemson #8

Alabama #2 vs Clemson #9
    I've said we had more talent every time we played them and this shows it. We split the first 2 because they had a great talent advantage at the most important position: QB. Watson was so far ahead of Coker and Hurts that it equalized our talent advantage and both games were toss ups. Next game with equal QBs (Hurts and Kelly Bryant) we dominated the game. That's why the most recent game was such a surprise - we both had elite QBs but Tua was more experienced. The game turned on a handful of plays that all went their way. We were leading in total yardage until the final drive. Not an excuse - just pointing out we weren't dominated in this game like the scoreboard indicated. Typically, a game with a final score like we saw will have one team double up the other on yards. Not the case at all. Looking forward to the rematch if we get it..

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by deliveryman35 View Post
    All things being relative, he’s still underpaid.
    When you are a member of a tiny select group of Super Coaches, the sky is the limit salary wise.

This year I hope the Talking Heads really build up Clemson and Dabo.
    I hope our guys respond well to all the Clemson praise.
    I want our Defense to play mean, and I want our Offense to score every time we get the ball.
    While I love Coach Saban, he does tend to call off the dogs when we win big.
    I want Coach Saban to be Blood Thirsty.
    Last year some of our Players and Coaches didn't play to finish.
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; April 27th, 2019 at 11:49 PM. Reason: format

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

I like to see programs who think they have arrived pay salaries like they have arrived. That probably means they have arrived -- and intend to stay there. Good for Clemson, acting like a winner.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

BamaNation Second Team

Per an ESPN article "There is no buyout if he leaves for an NFL job."
    Is no buyout if heading to nfl common? I read some comments about his recruiting philosophy, but wonder if it is more of a smoke screen because he does not embrace the grind of recruiting.

BamaNation First Team bvandegraff's Avatar

Time for another team to deal with large quantities of Rat Poison (tm) for a change.
    Last edited by bvandegraff; April 28th, 2019 at 01:34 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I am not sure that Tua is a better QB than Trevor Lawrence right now, but the upcoming season should decide between the two. If you assume we had superior talent over Clemson then the two losses would be on the coaching staff, in its continuity and preparation. I think that may likely be the case since the turnover has to take its toll at some point and I think those two losses to Clemson bear that out. As many have said on here, in both the 2016 and 2018 losses to Clemson, coaches were either gone or were focusing on their new jobs which I believe led to those losses, especially the lost in January of this year.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

You also had some key players focused on the wrong things.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    You also had some key players focused on the wrong things.
    Yep. Canít say Clemson was the far superior team that night. Yes, they won fair and square. They werenít 28 points better the entire season, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by mrusso View Post
    A little insight into the minds of some Clemson fans. I have relatives in SC that are big time Clemson fans. I was out there earlier this year (first time I'd seen them since the game) and of course they gave me some good natured ribbing. One thing that stuck out from conversations with them and others is that they are more proud of beating Alabama than they are of winning the championship. No one mentioned the national championship, it was all talk about beating Bama.

Now, as for Dabo. Regardless of where he finishes up his coaching career, he is young enough that he has a realistic chance at becoming the perceived GOAT. Let's face it...Saban has 5, maybe 10 years at most. Dabo has upwards of 20 years left to coach. I don't see anyone in the ACC rising to challenge them anytime soon, so if he stays at Clemson he could continue to win championships and surpass Saban in numbers. If he chooses to come to Bama when the real GOAT retires, he could also continue down the path of winning, albeit with a little more difficulty. Probably not what we want to hear or admit to, but there is a real chance he could have more titles than Saban.
    Good points. I guess it all depends on what other coaches rise up to win a national championship. With Meyer retired, Stoops retired a year ago, are CNS, Jimbo and Dabo the only active coaches with national championships on their resume?

If you go back to Bear's day, he had to compete against McKay, Parseghian, Devaney, Osborne, Paterno, Hayes, Royal, Wilkinson, Switzer and probably some others I can't think of off the top of my head that won national championships.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I think it may be correct about CNS, Dabo and Jimbo being the only current coaches with a NC. However, I wouldn't put Jimbo on the same level as CNS and Dabo; at least until he can prove his one title wasn't a fluke. Several coaches have won one title, but that doesn't mean they are great coaches. Gene Chizik says hello.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Mack Brown and Les Miles are coaching this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I am not sure that Tua is a better QB than Trevor Lawrence right now, but the upcoming season should decide between the two. If you assume we had superior talent over Clemson then the two losses would be on the coaching staff, in its continuity and preparation. I think that may likely be the case since the turnover has to take its toll at some point and I think those two losses to Clemson bear that out. As many have said on here, in both the 2016 and 2018 losses to Clemson, coaches were either gone or were focusing on their new jobs which I believe led to those losses, especially the lost in January of this year.
    Tua is better than Lawrence and it is not close. But they are both just one player, and Lawrence had a better surrounding cast (including his own defense) that night. Lawrence isn't making throws on a dime like Tua does. We'll see how this season goes though.

I think you're right about the coaching turnover for sure.

BamaNation Second Team

Tue and Lawrence are neck n neck...both elite...both will be #1 picks over all in NFL draft...both probably will win at least 1 heisman before the graduate...both will have long and great NFL careers...for you to say that Tua is better and it's not close is honestly just laughable! Clemson's D was better in NC game...but offensively we had just as many studs as them! I don't agree...but the experts mostly have said that if both Tua and Lawerence were coming out in 2020 class...Lawerence would be chosen over Tua hands down. Better do some more research!
    Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    Tua is better than Lawrence and it is not close. But they are both just one player, and Lawrence had a better surrounding cast (including his own defense) that night. Lawrence isn't making throws on a dime like Tua does. We'll see how this season goes though.

I think you're right about the coaching turnover for sure.