Clemson Makes Dabo Highest Paid Coach in the Nation (10 years, $93 million) - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Re: Clemson Makes Dabo Highest Paid Coach in the Nation (10 years, $93 million)

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I am not taking anything away from Dabo or what Clemson has accomplished over the 5 years, but I do not think anyone believes the ACC is a truly competitive conference. FSU, Va Tech, and Miami have become "middle of the pack teams" at best. Clemson's biggest challenges are now Syracuse, NC State, and BC.
    I think the issue is getting lumped together and I think you're saying it. Saying the ACC isn't a very competitive conference isn't automatically saying that Clemson isn't legit or their national titles aren't legit. If Clemson as a team wasn't legit that would have been long exposed in all the times we've now played them in the last five years. They are a legit team, their conference on the other hand simply doesn't offer them much competition.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    They are a legit team, their conference on the other hand simply doesn't offer them much competition.
    And this pays dividends.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    And this pays dividends.
    Oh it has it's advantages. But how great do you think the dividends are? If the ACC is that inferior then at some point playing lessor competition long enough will start to hurt your own team when put up against better opponents. Again, I'm not saying it doesn't help Clemson to some degree. But is it the difference in winning or losing the last national title?
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Oh it has it's advantages. But how great do you think the dividends are? If the ACC is that inferior then at some point playing lessor competition long enough will start to hurt your own team when put up against better opponents. Again, I'm not saying it doesn't help Clemson to some degree. But is it the difference in winning or losing the last national title?
    They're not THAT much worse - it's not like they're playing a bunch of FCS teams. Those teams give scholarships, too - just not tot he same level athletes that Bama faces in conference.

But I'd be interested ins being the injuries from Clemson vs those from Bama over the last five years. I have no idea what the data would show, but I suspect Bama has seen far more injuries from playing bigger, stronger teams. And injuries obviously matter. Not just those that are season ending, but those that linger and slow you down - you played sports, you know what I mean.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Agree with this. It's worked out about 50% of the time for them in the last 4 years. We may be battle-tested, but they've stood toe to toe with us in recent years and have won as many as they've lost. They are the ACC's FSU of the 90's with probably better coaching.

They're not THAT much worse - it's not like they're playing a bunch of FCS teams. Those teams give scholarships, too - just not tot he same level athletes that Bama faces in conference.

But I'd be interested ins being the injuries from Clemson vs those from Bama over the last five years. I have no idea what the data would show, but I suspect Bama has seen far more injuries from playing bigger, stronger teams. And injuries obviously matter. Not just those that are season ending, but those that linger and slow you down - you played sports, you know what I mean.
    Yeah, the injuries created out of the harder road is the unpredictable wild card. If a team can go through a tough schedule and it doesn't completely wear them down. Then playing that tough schedule has its benefits. But if on the other side of that tough schedule you're beat to hell and back. It's no longer an advantage.

Right. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Sagarin averages each team's last 5 SOS as #10 and #20. It's not a massive difference but enough to allow one team to be healthier.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-SEC

Clemson has had a lot of kids sent home for failed drug test, so maybe it's evened out.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by USCBAMA View Post
    Clemson has had a lot of kids sent home for failed drug test, so maybe it's evened out.
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Right. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Sagarin averages each team's last 5 SOS as #10 and #20. It's not a massive difference but enough to allow one team to be healthier.
    Is that SOS ranking pre or post playoff season? If they are getting extra credit for playing Bama at the end of the year, I'd say the data is skewed.

Quote Originally Posted by miggy402 View Post
    Is that SOS ranking pre or post playoff season? If they are getting extra credit for playing Bama at the end of the year, I'd say the data is skewed.
    Itís Sagarinís last ranking of the year, which comes out the day after the title game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

BamaNation Third Team

If 2 teams actually meet on the field, I fail to see the relevance of "data".

But that's probably just me.

Quote Originally Posted by FairlyAmazing View Post
    If 2 teams actually meet on the field, I fail to see the relevance of "data".

But that's probably just me.
    Somehow Iím not surprised by this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -- Coach Bryant