Clemson Makes Dabo Highest Paid Coach in the Nation (10 years, $93 million)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
A little insight into the minds of some Clemson fans. I have relatives in SC that are big time Clemson fans. I was out there earlier this year (first time I'd seen them since the game) and of course they gave me some good natured ribbing. One thing that stuck out from conversations with them and others is that they are more proud of beating Alabama than they are of winning the championship. No one mentioned the national championship, it was all talk about beating Bama.

Now, as for Dabo. Regardless of where he finishes up his coaching career, he is young enough that he has a realistic chance at becoming the perceived GOAT. Let's face it...Saban has 5, maybe 10 years at most. Dabo has upwards of 20 years left to coach. I don't see anyone in the ACC rising to challenge them anytime soon, so if he stays at Clemson he could continue to win championships and surpass Saban in numbers. If he chooses to come to Bama when the real GOAT retires, he could also continue down the path of winning, albeit with a little more difficulty. Probably not what we want to hear or admit to, but there is a real chance he could have more titles than Saban.
Good points. I guess it all depends on what other coaches rise up to win a national championship. With Meyer retired, Stoops retired a year ago, are CNS, Jimbo and Dabo the only active coaches with national championships on their resume?

If you go back to Bear's day, he had to compete against McKay, Parseghian, Devaney, Osborne, Paterno, Hayes, Royal, Wilkinson, Switzer and probably some others I can't think of off the top of my head that won national championships.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think it may be correct about CNS, Dabo and Jimbo being the only current coaches with a NC. However, I wouldn't put Jimbo on the same level as CNS and Dabo; at least until he can prove his one title wasn't a fluke. Several coaches have won one title, but that doesn't mean they are great coaches. Gene Chizik says hello.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I am not sure that Tua is a better QB than Trevor Lawrence right now, but the upcoming season should decide between the two. If you assume we had superior talent over Clemson then the two losses would be on the coaching staff, in its continuity and preparation. I think that may likely be the case since the turnover has to take its toll at some point and I think those two losses to Clemson bear that out. As many have said on here, in both the 2016 and 2018 losses to Clemson, coaches were either gone or were focusing on their new jobs which I believe led to those losses, especially the lost in January of this year.
Tua is better than Lawrence and it is not close. But they are both just one player, and Lawrence had a better surrounding cast (including his own defense) that night. Lawrence isn't making throws on a dime like Tua does. We'll see how this season goes though.

I think you're right about the coaching turnover for sure.

daddybama1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2018
Tue and Lawrence are neck n neck...both elite...both will be #1 picks over all in NFL draft...both probably will win at least 1 heisman before the graduate...both will have long and great NFL careers...for you to say that Tua is better and it's not close is honestly just laughable! Clemson's D was better in NC game...but offensively we had just as many studs as them! I don't agree...but the experts mostly have said that if both Tua and Lawerence were coming out in 2020 class...Lawerence would be chosen over Tua hands down. Better do some more research!
Tua is better than Lawrence and it is not close. But they are both just one player, and Lawrence had a better surrounding cast (including his own defense) that night. Lawrence isn't making throws on a dime like Tua does. We'll see how this season goes though.

I think you're right about the coaching turnover for sure.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Tue and Lawrence are neck n neck...both elite...both will be #1 picks over all in NFL draft...both probably will win at least 1 heisman before the graduate...both will have long and great NFL careers...for you to say that Tua is better and it's not close is honestly just laughable! Clemson's D was better in NC game...but offensively we had just as many studs as them! I don't agree...but the experts mostly have said that if both Tua and Lawerence were coming out in 2020 class...Lawerence would be chosen over Tua hands down. Better do some more research!
So IOW you’re telling me the offense led by the banged up QB had just as many yards as the healthy one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Recent topic of discussion has been about Clemson handling a SEC schedule. Some think it’s silly to think they couldn’t do it just because they are in the SEC.

Consider these numbers:

Nick Saban: 12 years at Alabama, 3 years undefeated SEC record
Dabo Swinney: 10 full years at Clemson, 2 years undefeated ACC record

As far as SOS goes, Sagarin average rankings from the last five seasons:

Clemson - 20.2
Alabama - 10

And then we get this absurd take today on Finebaum. Have to think this is one of those ESPN ideas to use as the big off season discussion.

https://twitter.com/finebaum/status/1122950092984598533?s=21

daddybama1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2018
yes, but he also had 2 interceptions and one was a pick 6 and the other i do believe turned into a CU touchdown. And it was Clemson's D that did not let us in the endzone. But make no mistake, Tua is elite...Tua has weapons-many 1st round WR's and a 1st round RB (jacobs)and our offense was called the best ever until the NC game...it was a thing of beauty! my real point was to push back on Tua being so much better than Lawerence that it is not even close...sort of makes me smile to type it ha...i'd love that to be true...but i've got to give credit to both of these young men...they both are game changers!

So IOW you’re telling me the offense led by the banged up QB had just as many yards as the healthy one?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Recent topic of discussion has been about Clemson handling a SEC schedule. Some think it’s silly to think they couldn’t do it just because they are in the SEC.

Consider these numbers:

Nick Saban: 12 years at Alabama, 3 years undefeated SEC record
Dabo Swinney: 10 full years at Clemson, 2 years undefeated ACC record

As far as SOS goes, Sagarin average rankings from the last five seasons:

Clemson - 20.2
Alabama - 10

And then we get this absurd take today on Finebaum. Have to think this is one of those ESPN ideas to use as the big off season discussion.

https://twitter.com/finebaum/status/1122950092984598533?s=21

What does the link say? I cannot see it.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Experts? That's a load of crap. Lawrence can't hit the windows Tua can. Or at least he hasn't had to yet, and hasn't needed to prove it, because I haven't seen it. I didn't even see it in the NC game. I saw WRs making plays on so so thrown balls, or WRs running wide open because of busted coverage.

Lawrence had a much better, more focused, surrounding cast that night. I'm not talking about talent and ability as much as I am talking about focus and preparedness. Clemson was on fire, and we just didn't make the trip mentally. Which is inexcusable, but factual. Lawrence is a very impressive QB, has all the tools, and all that. But he's not making the throws Tua is right now. That might change this season, we'll see.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Lawrence has physical tools that Tua simply doesn't. Tua has accuracy to all levels that Lawrence simply doesn't. Both need to improve to reach their potential.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Do they know Clemson had won a title before? And that they had been a fairly good regional power for many years?

I mean, I think Dabo has Clemson swinging above their weight class, to be sure, but not by that much.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
If Clemson's DBs fell down and ran in molasses, the comparison between Tua and Lawrence might be viewed differently.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am not taking anything away from Dabo or what Clemson has accomplished over the 5 years, but I do not think anyone believes the ACC is a truly competitive conference. FSU, Va Tech, and Miami have become "middle of the pack teams" at best. Clemson's biggest challenges are now Syracuse, NC State, and BC.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I am not taking anything away from Dabo or what Clemson has accomplished over the 5 years, but I do not think anyone believes the ACC is a truly competitive conference. FSU, Va Tech, and Miami have become "middle of the pack teams" at best. Clemson's biggest challenges are now Syracuse, NC State, and BC.
I think the issue is getting lumped together and I think you're saying it. Saying the ACC isn't a very competitive conference isn't automatically saying that Clemson isn't legit or their national titles aren't legit. If Clemson as a team wasn't legit that would have been long exposed in all the times we've now played them in the last five years. They are a legit team, their conference on the other hand simply doesn't offer them much competition.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.