Clemson Makes Dabo Highest Paid Coach in the Nation (10 years, $93 million)

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
For those interested in Dabo being CNS's replacement, his buyout is $4 million for anyone but Alabama and $6 million for Alabama. IOW, a buyout wouldn't be a problem if Alabama wanted to hire him.
I find that absolutely hilarious

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
My guess is Clemson knows deep down that if given the opportunity, Dabo would be on the first thing smoking to Tuscaloosa. I don't know if anyone listened to his acceptance speech for the Bear Bryant Award. But there's noway if you were a Clemson fan, that you could have listened to that and not started picking up on that reality.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He earned this contract - beat the GOAT twice in championship games. Good for him. Time for some complacency to creep in. :biggrin2:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Happy for that Bama boy. Really surprised his buyout to come home isn't something like 20 million. The fact it is higher but only slightly higher says "Clemson knows" if Dabo wants to come nothing will stop him.

If the players start having the attitude of their fans, it will be a collapse of epic proportions.
I met a Clemson fan at Disney earlier this year in Feb. who had a 2016 championship hat on. I struck up a conversation with him by saying "You need an updated hat." We talked for a while, and he was nice, but he was a little full of himself of Clemson. You know, I guess I can't blame him.

However, I can only imagine what opposing fan bases say about our "attitude." Honestly, if it was based on us, we'd fall fast and hard.

So that's where CNS makes his money by keeping the players focused and, we have a front row seat to see if Dabo can do this. So far, so good.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Good on Dabo.

Dude can coach and knows how to lead. May get on our nerves with his rah-rah stuff, but he knows how to fire up his orange base, keep coaches and players (at least those who don't get arrested), and raise money.

What he's done from the day he became HBC at Clemson is really remarkable.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
A little insight into the minds of some Clemson fans. I have relatives in SC that are big time Clemson fans. I was out there earlier this year (first time I'd seen them since the game) and of course they gave me some good natured ribbing. One thing that stuck out from conversations with them and others is that they are more proud of beating Alabama than they are of winning the championship. No one mentioned the national championship, it was all talk about beating Bama.

Now, as for Dabo. Regardless of where he finishes up his coaching career, he is young enough that he has a realistic chance at becoming the perceived GOAT. Let's face it...Saban has 5, maybe 10 years at most. Dabo has upwards of 20 years left to coach. I don't see anyone in the ACC rising to challenge them anytime soon, so if he stays at Clemson he could continue to win championships and surpass Saban in numbers. If he chooses to come to Bama when the real GOAT retires, he could also continue down the path of winning, albeit with a little more difficulty. Probably not what we want to hear or admit to, but there is a real chance he could have more titles than Saban.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
A little insight into the minds of some Clemson fans. I have relatives in SC that are big time Clemson fans. I was out there earlier this year (first time I'd seen them since the game) and of course they gave me some good natured ribbing. One thing that stuck out from conversations with them and others is that they are more proud of beating Alabama than they are of winning the championship. No one mentioned the national championship, it was all talk about beating Bama.

Now, as for Dabo. Regardless of where he finishes up his coaching career, he is young enough that he has a realistic chance at becoming the perceived GOAT. Let's face it...Saban has 5, maybe 10 years at most. Dabo has upwards of 20 years left to coach. I don't see anyone in the ACC rising to challenge them anytime soon, so if he stays at Clemson he could continue to win championships and surpass Saban in numbers. If he chooses to come to Bama when the real GOAT retires, he could also continue down the path of winning, albeit with a little more difficulty. Probably not what we want to hear or admit to, but there is a real chance he could have more titles than Saban.
It's difficult to blame them. We've been on a run like no other for over a decade now, and they've managed to beat us twice. Over the past 5 years they are our equal. I'd say beating us, during this run, may indeed mean more than the actual title. In 20 years, the trophies will mean more, sure. But now? I get their point of view.

With this many of you will probably get your desire of Dabo never coaching here.
This contract is in no way any sort of impediment to Dabo coaching at Alabama. The buyout is pennies, and we can easily match the 9.3 per year rate. The questions are and will always be, will we want him when the time comes and does he want to be here? Money won't be a factor.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Money ain't going to keep Dabo from coming here. Community and family will be the deciding factor.

He's got two rings now. He's going to be a well-paid man the rest of his working days.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.