Clemson Makes Dabo Highest Paid Coach in the Nation (10 years, $93 million)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
And this pays dividends.
Oh it has it's advantages. But how great do you think the dividends are? If the ACC is that inferior then at some point playing lessor competition long enough will start to hurt your own team when put up against better opponents. Again, I'm not saying it doesn't help Clemson to some degree. But is it the difference in winning or losing the last national title?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Oh it has it's advantages. But how great do you think the dividends are? If the ACC is that inferior then at some point playing lessor competition long enough will start to hurt your own team when put up against better opponents. Again, I'm not saying it doesn't help Clemson to some degree. But is it the difference in winning or losing the last national title?
They're not THAT much worse - it's not like they're playing a bunch of FCS teams. Those teams give scholarships, too - just not tot he same level athletes that Bama faces in conference.

But I'd be interested ins being the injuries from Clemson vs those from Bama over the last five years. I have no idea what the data would show, but I suspect Bama has seen far more injuries from playing bigger, stronger teams. And injuries obviously matter. Not just those that are season ending, but those that linger and slow you down - you played sports, you know what I mean.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Agree with this. It's worked out about 50% of the time for them in the last 4 years. We may be battle-tested, but they've stood toe to toe with us in recent years and have won as many as they've lost. They are the ACC's FSU of the 90's with probably better coaching.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
They're not THAT much worse - it's not like they're playing a bunch of FCS teams. Those teams give scholarships, too - just not tot he same level athletes that Bama faces in conference.

But I'd be interested ins being the injuries from Clemson vs those from Bama over the last five years. I have no idea what the data would show, but I suspect Bama has seen far more injuries from playing bigger, stronger teams. And injuries obviously matter. Not just those that are season ending, but those that linger and slow you down - you played sports, you know what I mean.
Yeah, the injuries created out of the harder road is the unpredictable wild card. If a team can go through a tough schedule and it doesn't completely wear them down. Then playing that tough schedule has its benefits. But if on the other side of that tough schedule you're beat to hell and back. It's no longer an advantage.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Right. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Sagarin averages each team's last 5 SOS as #10 and #20. It's not a massive difference but enough to allow one team to be healthier.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland

Clemson has had a lot of kids sent home for failed drug test, so maybe it's evened out.

miggy402

1st Team
Aug 23, 2009
Waycross, GA
Right. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Sagarin averages each team's last 5 SOS as #10 and #20. It's not a massive difference but enough to allow one team to be healthier.
Is that SOS ranking pre or post playoff season? If they are getting extra credit for playing Bama at the end of the year, I'd say the data is skewed.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Is that SOS ranking pre or post playoff season? If they are getting extra credit for playing Bama at the end of the year, I'd say the data is skewed.
It’s Sagarin’s last ranking of the year, which comes out the day after the title game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FairlyAmazing

Scout Team
Mar 17, 2019
If 2 teams actually meet on the field, I fail to see the relevance of "data".

But that's probably just me.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Clemson is USCw on the East Coast and until someone comes along (like Stanford) and makes them play a grueling, physical conference game they will continue this string of being healthy when the playoffs come along.

I do mean USCw in all facets, just look at the wiretap from the FBI if you don’t believe me.

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
What I find interesting about Dabo is how he got over the hump. For years he couldn't get it done and lost key games that prevented Clemson from being a National Championship contender. He was even labeled a "Choker" for a while. Then the lightbulb turned on and Clemson stopped losing the type of games that became the hallmark of his average career. So what was it? FSU's fall from the throne? Miami being mired in mediocrity? Did Dabo hire one or two position coaches that made the difference? Was it a change in recruiting philosophy, learning from mistakes... yada, yada? Something has changed in their program enabling them to have tremendous success over the last 4 years.
I think Dabo is a good head coach beyond question BUT even with the teams he's coached at Clemson it's highly doubtful he'd have won the SEC much less a national championship if they were in the SEC and playing SEC teams week after week.

Beating up on South Carolina every year isn't the same and when they've added another SEC team to their schedule they've come close to losing to Auburn and Texas A&M this year. Imagine if they had to play LSU and 7 others every year.

With an 85 scholarship limit and all the extra games just to get to the national championship makes Saban's run at Alabama IN the SEC amazing. I don't think Coach Bryant could have done it. He basically had no scholarship limitations and I don't think Dabo could do it.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I think Dabo is a good head coach beyond question BUT even with the teams he's coached at Clemson it's highly doubtful he'd have won the SEC much less a national championship if they were in the SEC and playing SEC teams week after week.

Beating up on South Carolina every year isn't the same and when they've added another SEC team to their schedule they've come close to losing to Auburn and Texas A&M this year. Imagine if they had to play LSU and 7 others every year.

With an 85 scholarship limit and all the extra games just to get to the national championship makes Saban's run at Alabama IN the SEC amazing. I don't think Coach Bryant could have done it. He basically had no scholarship limitations and I don't think Dabo could do it.
Very good points.

FairlyAmazing

Scout Team
Mar 17, 2019
Analogies with plenty of "if's" always have good points.

In my opinion, I see not too much standing in Alabama's way back to the playoffs again this upcoming season.

They're much better than any team on the schedule.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Can’t find anything other than Sagarin’s final ratings for each season. His predicted 2019 ratings are out. Clemson: 15-0 and Alabama: 14-1.

Predicted SOS for each is 25 and 9.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Can’t find anything other than Sagarin’s final ratings for each season. His predicted 2019 ratings are out. Clemson: 15-0 and Alabama: 14-1.

Predicted SOS for each is 25 and 9.

So he has us losing to them in the NC game again. If we both make that game 14-0 again, I'd bet my mortgage on us. The revenge factor means a ton. Just let Tony Brown do the pre-game speech.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.