Avengers Endgame Discussion - Spoiler Warning

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Hey all. Saw it last night. As a long time comic nerd, loved it. I’m so glad it wasn’t 3 hours of fighting. It was an excellent story giving each character time Without it feeling overwhelming. Loved it. Will need to see it again to allow me to see things I’m sure I missed

Downey makes acting look so simple. But he managed to give us a character that by all logic shouldnt be likeable much less loved. But he did it. Perhaps it was his relationship with Peter, but he was absolutely phenomenal. I do believe Oscar Worthy

I didn’t like Evans initially for Cap. But it was perfect casting. The final arc for him was superb as well.

I could go on and on. But loved it. In no way was I let down. Felt like I was at Disney World for three hours. It was just about perfect

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Excellent review, CC. My family went yesterday afternoon and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I want to go back and see it in 3D now. Get the large bucket of popcorn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
*****Spoilers ahead*****

I am a huge Marvel fan and I feel this movie couldn't have been any better. I think it is probably the best Marvel movie. One of the reasons is it was really about the characters and not so much the action/graphics..etc. I agree that the pacing of this was perfect. They took their time and didn't rush any of the storylines.

I know that most of us knew it would be some kind of time travel to solve the problem. But, the way they did it was genius! I am a huge fan of time travel and the Back to the Future movies (which they joked about). I loved how they went back to the scenes from the other movies. It created some of the funniest scenes of the movie. (Hulk trying to act like how he used to be)

I knew Tony would most likely die in this movie. But I was still not ready for it. I haven't cried that much in a long time. When Pepper said to Tony "We are going to be ok" I just lost it completely. Personal story here, but my Mother said basically the same thing to me before she died of cancer 16 years ago..... "You are going to be ok". So it really got to me. That scene was sad.. but it was such a beautiful send off to an amazing character/actor.

Like you...I could go on and on about this movie.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I seriously think I am the only person left in the world that is just done with comic book movies. After 20+ movies (about 3 or 4 good ones), I am just done with it.

I will eventually watch this movie but no theater for me. I have actually read all the spoilers for the movie just in case I never actually see the movie.

I have not watched a marvel movie in the theater since Captain America or Iron Man 2 (I honestly don't remember which one.) I only saw Avengers Infinity War a month ago. I had to actually google what the name actually was for the third Avengers movie.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I seriously think I am the only person left in the world that is just done with comic book movies. After 20+ movies (about 3 or 4 good ones), I am just done with it.

I will eventually watch this movie but no theater for me. I have actually read all the spoilers for the movie just in case I never actually see the movie.

I have not watched a marvel movie in the theater since Captain America or Iron Man 2 (I honestly don't remember which one.) I only saw Avengers Infinity War a month ago. I had to actually google what the name actually was for the third Avengers movie.
You posted to tell us you didn't watch it?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm debating to whether see it at the movies or not. I'm just not one to go to 3 hr movies that often. Ive known for some time what was going to happen, how it was going to happen, and who was going to live and survive. Spoilers for this was not going to ruin it for me like it would for GOT. Its just the last 3 uber long Comicbook movies I seen in theaters were just a chore to sit through (Watchmen, BvS, and Dark Knight rises).

FWIW I'm glad it was good

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I'll go contrary

it was just ok

Infinity War was better.

The Captain America arc annoyed me and I loved season 1 of Agent Carter but the staying back in time thing was stupid

why was Captain Marvell even in the movie? She just left for 90% of the film, what was that about?

I thought Thanos 2 was terrible. After a fantastic performance in Infinity War having Thanos back as the bad guy here just didn't work. They had to change his motivations to make him menacing and to me it weakened the character overall.

I also thought most of the humor fell flat.

Don't get me wrong there was a lot I liked but overall disappointing end for me and I've seen every one of these movies in the theater, some multiple times and most on opening night

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'll go contrary

it was just ok

Infinity War was better.

The Captain America arc annoyed me and I loved season 1 of Agent Carter but the staying back in time thing was stupid

why was Captain Marvell even in the movie? She just left for 90% of the film, what was that about?

I thought Thanos 2 was terrible. After a fantastic performance in Infinity War having Thanos back as the bad guy here just didn't work. They had to change his motivations to make him menacing and to me it weakened the character overall.

I also thought most of the humor fell flat.

Don't get me wrong there was a lot I liked but overall disappointing end for me and I've seen every one of these movies in the theater, some multiple times and most on opening night
So you are basically saying... its a "Return of the Jedi" kinda film after we just got an Empire Strikes Back?

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I'm debating to whether see it at the movies or not. I'm just not one to go to 3 hr movies that often. Ive known for some time what was going to happen, how it was going to happen, and who was going to live and survive. Spoilers for this was not going to ruin it for me like it would for GOT. Its just the last 3 uber long Comicbook movies I seen in theaters were just a chore to sit through (Watchmen, BvS, and Dark Knight rises).

FWIW I'm glad it was good
I think I see your problem ;) -- you choose your superhero movies poorly!!

I did start to feel like the ending was a little like the ending of the last LOTR movie -- where it had 5-6 epilogues.... this one sort of needed it though.

Also -- I wish someone would give Favreau a bit more credit. If Iron Man doesn't hit hard -- the rest doesn't happen......or at least not to this extent. The dude went from being Vince Vaughn's sidekick to being one heck of a great Director!

Also -- there is no after credits scene -- so, no need to wait through the 20 minute credits....

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I did start to feel like the ending was a little like the ending of the last LOTR movie -- where it had 5-6 epilogues.... this one sort of needed it though.

Also -- I wish someone would give Favreau a bit more credit. If Iron Man doesn't hit hard -- the rest doesn't happen......or at least not to this extent. The dude went from being Vince Vaughn's sidekick to being one heck of a great Director!

Also -- there is no after credits scene -- so, no need to wait through the 20 minute credits....
While I agree Favreau is a great director and made Iron Man great. That movie was really made great by Robert Downey Jr. I cannot imagine anyone else doing that role any justice.

While there is no scene, there is an end sound (a friend told me). Don't think it is anything more than a call back to the beginning but still something. I doubt I would sit through 20 minutes just to hear some hammering.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Meh, I think Watchmen was an awesome movie for the readers of the Watchmen and folks that knew the source was more of a metaphor to the constant changing of comics (8.5/10 for me), DKR is okay but it really showed that Nolan wasn't a Batman fan, and BvS.... its better with the extended cut and unwatchable with the theatrical cut. But overall I find it hard to sit through an over 2.5 hr comic book movie. Infinity War and Batman Begins are probably the most perfect times

LOTR is probably the only series of movies that never felt long to me even though I knew they were long, and its mostly because of how its setup. But TROK did sorta drag, but at that point they had to give everyone the proper send off.

FWIW the Hobbit series WERE VERY LONG to me, but I think it shows the style and story telling makes all of the difference.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
So you are basically saying... its a "Return of the Jedi" kinda film after we just got an Empire Strikes Back?
Return of the Jedi is more re-watchable, especially if you can get your hands on Harmy's De-specialized version

but otherwise yeah, Empire is the best of all the Star Wars films and so Rotj was certainly a let down.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Return of the Jedi is more re-watchable, especially if you can get your hands on Harmy's De-specialized version

but otherwise yeah, Empire is the best of all the Star Wars films and so Rotj was certainly a let down.
I’ll add a few more in my opinion:

Oh yea, here’s Professor Hulk: one of the big struggles in Infinity War was the inner battle between Hulk and Banner. Solved off camera with little fanfare. He claimed “best of both worlds” but we never see any Hulk, and when we do, Banner is not happy with doing it.

No Vision: no body, no attempts. He was forgotten, along with any attempts to revive him, which was fairly important in IW.

Who got the shield? Sam, really? The shield represents resilience. I know in the comic arcs both Sam and Bucky were CA, but neither have really been explored yet. Bucky should’ve gotten the shield simply because he’s a super soldier in the mold of Steve Rogers.

Thor wallowing in pork rinds. He’s a warrior, he’s killed and seen killing before. His comrades have died, his father and mother have both gone, but this sends him over the edge into blubbery? Come on.

Those are just a few. I enjoyed the movie, I know things can’t last forever, and I’m curious as to what direction they go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
One of the best things that this movie did was show appreciation to their fans. I loved all the callbacks to the previous movies. Whether it was a short line here and there or an actual scene (Cap in the elevator).

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’ll add a few more in my opinion:

Oh yea, here’s Professor Hulk: one of the big struggles in Infinity War was the inner battle between Hulk and Banner. Solved off camera with little fanfare. He claimed “best of both worlds” but we never see any Hulk, and when we do, Banner is not happy with doing it.

No Vision: no body, no attempts. He was forgotten, along with any attempts to revive him, which was fairly important in IW.

Who got the shield? Sam, really? The shield represents resilience. I know in the comic arcs both Sam and Bucky were CA, but neither have really been explored yet. Bucky should’ve gotten the shield simply because he’s a super soldier in the mold of Steve Rogers.

Thor wallowing in pork rinds. He’s a warrior, he’s killed and seen killing before. His comrades have died, his father and mother have both gone, but this sends him over the edge into blubbery? Come on.

Those are just a few. I enjoyed the movie, I know things can’t last forever, and I’m curious as to what direction they go.

I think with no plans for X-MEN and Fantastic 4 the MCU is going to take more shots to the chin

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Also I think the foundation for Guardians 3 was laid: I think Thor rides along and they look for Gamora.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I love it when people challenge the realism of a comic book movie.

You can critique the plot holes to death. But why not focus on what was great. Because there was plenty of that.

“Marvel is going to take more shots to the chin?”

They just made $1.2B in three days. I think they have a Thanos sized chin. They will be fine

Thor has seen deaths before. But losing family and friends over time is one thing. Blaming yourself for the deaths of 50% of the Universe is of a different scale.

What would have been the benefit of another 20 minutes of seeing Banner become Professor Hulk? Plus we didn’t see the five years in between. We just jumped there. We also didn’t see how Widow’s hair grew, a pregnant Pepper, and why the Van was impounded either. It was a jump forward.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So a friend talked me into going to see a morning show....

I agree with Jon in that it was very mediocre. I’ll expand on it but probably the two things that jump out is that 1) after they kill thanos in the first 30 minutes until thanos learns of their plans is just boring and long (about 1 hr 30 minutes of the movie) and 2) Thanos was a final boss video game villain in this one and not a unique one like he was in Infinity War.

Maybe if they cut about an hour out it would be more enjoyable to me because there was way too much needless scenes in the movie.

6/10

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.