Bases-loaded 9th inning rally falls short, 5-4 final

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Well, we had our chances.............got one in the 8th, one in the 9th, got 'em loaded in the 9th, but Holcombe strikes out to end the game.

Way too many (10) LOBs. We need to do something about that.

Maybe more details in a bit.................need to run................

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Just don't have sec caliber starters except one. Bats have been consistently inconsistent all season.Some things never change. Got to try to find a way to finish the season with at least a respectable record but I'm not sure it will happen. Hope things improve soon (the past few years aside) but I really thought we would be better this year especially this late in the season.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
Today was the first chance I've had to see them in person this year. I would hate to see what our RISP batting average is this season. Bottom line is you cannot come away with bases loaded, no outs with nothing to show.

The second time (score 5-2) we had bases loaded, the batter had a 3-1 count and swung late on a fastball down the middle. You can't over think that. Be confused on something off speed and go to a full count. Don't miss on the obvious best pitch you'll see to at least get something to the outfield. The heart of our order had some pitiful at-bats with men on, falling behind 0-2 swinging at garbage.

Just doing the little things like a sac fly here, a hit and run there, and they would've gotten the win today. Pitching was serviceabe, this one was on the offense.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
Another tidbit: the way the sun sets up on the Joe, it would make much more sense to have our guys in the first base dugout.

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
Today was the first chance I've had to see them in person this year. I would hate to see what our RISP batting average is this season. Bottom line is you cannot come away with bases loaded, no outs with nothing to show.

The second time (score 5-2) we had bases loaded, the batter had a 3-1 count and swung late on a fastball down the middle. You can't over think that. Be confused on something off speed and go to a full count. Don't miss on the obvious best pitch you'll see to at least get something to the outfield. The heart of our order had some pitiful at-bats with men on, falling behind 0-2 swinging at garbage.

Just doing the little things like a sac fly here, a hit and run there, and they would've gotten the win today. Pitching was serviceabe, this one was on the offense.

I think overall this year we've been better at the things like sac flies, etc. We're 3rd in the SEC currently with 24 sac flies. We had 16 in the whole season last year.

IMO, the problem is that we're terribly "un-clutch." I think some of that goes back to the approach we seem to be taking. Just like your example, 3-1 count and we're unprepared to hit a good pitch. That's something that's drilled into you your whole career. In so-called "hitter's counts" (2-0, 3-1...) you prep to hit that good pitch cause you know the pitcher has to bring it in there. If it's not that pitch, you let it go. Our guys seem to just determined to "take" when they get in that 2-0/3-1 count regardless of what's pitched. I can't count the number of times this weekend that we just watched a fastball over the heart of the plate in one of those "hitter's counts."

Bottom line, I think, is we seem to be going up to the plate trying to draw a walk instead of trying to drive the ball somewhere. Maybe it's a lack of confidence due to the struggles in conference-play, but playing passive like that is never a good thing in sports.

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
Another tidbit: the way the sun sets up on the Joe, it would make much more sense to have our guys in the first base dugout.

That's the way it used to be "back in the day", but i also remember metal bleachers 6-8 rows high like you see at kids soccer games behind first base line, that i sat on waiting for an afternoon class.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.