Game of Thrones SPOILERS

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Be ready for useless amounts of nakedness for the first two seasons. I think they did it to get funding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well they were trying to mimic Rome a lot in the first 2 seasons. Rome got around a lot of low points with sex and scenery. I think it probably saved the show because the first battle didn’t happen until episode 19.

Season 4 is by far the best season of the show and season 5 is the worst.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
FWIW I think a very understated problem with this is show is GRR Martin. Take into account he started the series in 96 and just completed the 5th book in 2011 a month after the 1st episode began. Martin had promised to compete the 6th book by the time the show was entering its final two seasons but has spent most of the time trolling fans about the fate of Jon Snow ( yes we still don’t know if he is going to make it in the books) and the release of the 6th book. I honestly believe he has no idea of how to end it and is just seeing how the show runners are going to.

Also take into account we have no idea in the books if there is a Night King in the book. I really think the show runners were getting nervous that Martin wouldn’t finish WOW before season 7, but they knew Cersei was the real threat so they just built a generic Sauron character character to be able to wipe out the white walkers faster.

Point is Martin has been no help these last 3 seasons to the show and it has even gotten to the point in which Peter Jackson, Spielberg, and George Lucas have been on set and and in production meetings helping these guys out. That’s why since season 6 you’ve seen so many drastic tonal shifts during those seasons.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
SPOILER ALERT
Then out of nowhere, Arya makes a flying lunge at the Night King. He catches her at arm's length just before she gets him with a dragon glass dagger. She fumbles it, then catches it on the way down, and stabs blue eyes just above the knee. He fragments, and all of the Army of the Dead, including the blue-eyed dragon, disintegrate. Battle won.
WTH? That's not believable even in the context of fantasy literature. Arya sneaks through thousands of dead surrounding Bran and makes it, all alone, even through the last circle of White Walkers, all the way to the Night King, totally undetected? Really?
It was reminiscent of our offensive lines coached by Bucketstep Bob during the Shula years. But Arya is a slippery little thing and her training with the Many Faced God only enhanced her skills.

The second dragon might or might not be gone. Last we saw, he was struggling to take off with a bunch of wights riding and stabbing him. If they killed him, he's still dead, since the Night King can't raise him anymore. I'm betting he's still alive, but grievously wounded. Either way, I don't think he's an effective fighting force. Leaving Danerys with one usable dragon -- which is admittedly still one more than anybody else has.
I think I saw both dragons flying in the preview for next week in preparation for the battle against Cersie.

And I was massively irritated by the dead Starks rising in the crypt. They didn't die by the Night King or his minions, and up to tonight there's been no indication that he can raise dead that his own forces didn't cause. So all that changes now? Please.
It was only fitting. To assume that there was any place that was safe from the Night Walkers was foolish.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This is yet another example of why I love this board.

I don't think many agree with me about the quality of the episode. But nobody's taking it personally, and I've learned some stuff.

1. Thanks for the education on Arya's knife move, shifting hands. It was clearly a practiced technique, not a fumble as I initially characterized it. Still doesn't get to the central point of my skepticism as to how she got there in the first place, but the move itself was practice, not luck.

2. Good eagle eyes on seeing the dragons in the Episode 4 trailer. I could have sworn I watched the trailer in great detail, but I missed that. I think they're about the coolest things in the whole series, and would hate to be down to one.

3. Elsewhere, I was pointed to Ghost showing in the trailer at the 18 second mark. So he made it back from the erasure of the Dothraki in what would appear to be good health. If the dragons aren't the coolest ones, the direwolves are.

I agree that my assessment of who is left to fight Cersei assumes that the Lannister army follows her and not Jamie or Tyrion. That's because they weren't at Winterfell when Jamie and Tyrion were.

I also think Bronn is a wild card, out there unaccounted for. Has a chestful of gold at stake for carrying out a hit on Jamie and/or Tyrion. Hasn't been heard from since the end of Episode 1, and isn't in the E4 trailer (at least not that I saw). Something is going to happen there. Either he tries to fulfill the contracted hit, or he joins with his old friends. If the former, Brienne might have something to say. If the latter, Cersei will be royally hacked off, and might be baited into doing something unsound for emotional reasons.

Agree that Martin's lack of production has thrown a monkey wrench into the show.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Be ready for useless amounts of nakedness for the first two seasons. I think they did it to get funding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
well, if they got the funding, it was somewhat useful ;)

snark aside, it took a while for me to start watching regularly as we watched the first two episodes and stopped because the nudity/gratuitous/violent sex seemed a bit over the top and unnecessary and took away from the story lines.

i would catch the occasional episode in the first couple of seasons then i ended up picking it up sometime around the middle of season 3 and watched the rest of the way through.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Do it. :) I started watching when it was already on for 2-3 seasons. It took me a while to watch the full first episode. So don’t give up there.
I got a couple of days off coming up, so those days are spoken for.

I KNEW of the show but without HBO until recently, I could not watch the show.

A friend of mine who does love the show keeps telling me two words: Red Wedding. Was that a thing?

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I got a couple of days off coming up, so those days are spoken for.

I KNEW of the show but without HBO until recently, I could not watch the show.

A friend of mine who does love the show keeps telling me two words: Red Wedding. Was that a thing?
Are you seriously asking or is humor? I’m asking because that is a pretty defining moment in GOT.

I would feel worse ruining something from episode 1-63 (season 1 thru season 5 and 3 episodes) than ruining something in the last 3 years. Just asking before ruining it.

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
The Long Night was too long for me. Luckily, I was watching a recording and could fast forward through some of it. It really drug out during the first 10 to 12 minutes in an attempt to build up the suspense and give a look at all of the main characters before the battle. Also, the scenes were almost too dark for decent viewing with a little too much of same stuff different people.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The Long Night was too long for me. Luckily, I was watching a recording and could fast forward through some of it. It really drug out during the first 10 to 12 minutes in an attempt to build up the suspense and give a look at all of the main characters before the battle. Also, the scenes were almost too dark for decent viewing with a little too much of same stuff different people.
I may seem more critical of Martin than the writers and HBO, and maybe to a degree I am because of Martin’s attitude, arrogance, and laziness since the show earned him way more than he could have ever dreamed of just by writing one good series of books surrounded by a bunch of second rate Tolkien ripoff crap. I seriously wonder if Robert Jordan would’ve became as big of a donkey as a Martin has since 2011 had the Wheel of Time gotten a deal like this in his lifetime.

But tbf D&D and HBO deserve a good portion of criticism as well. So just to reference issues surrounding the fan fiction era of GOT (6-8):

D&D: the biggest issue with both are that they are fanboys. As we have seen with zack Snyder is that it is advantage if you have a source material in which they have to strictly follow, but give them creative liberty to get from A-C then you have a problem. They literally threatened not to do season 7 over if they were allowed or not allowed to shoot a scene with a zombie polar bear. This last battle also showed their egos more. The whole point of the needless extra 5 zombie dog piles was to beat LOTR’s Battle of Helmsdeep runtime. You see where their geekdom can be a problem

As for HBO, they still haven’t learned from Rome. These kinda epic series cost tons of money. I think cutting it to 8 seasons instead of 10 was a mistake based on money. We knew there were 2 battles that needed to resolve the series. It was obvious that they used the darkness to cut special effects costs so they could pull off the battle for kings landing.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I may seem more critical of Martin than the writers and HBO, and maybe to a degree I am because of Martin’s attitude, arrogance, and laziness since the show earned him way more than he could have ever dreamed of just by writing one good series of books surrounded by a bunch of second rate Tolkien ripoff crap. I seriously wonder if Robert Jordan would’ve became as big of a donkey as a Martin has since 2011 had the Wheel of Time gotten a deal like this in his lifetime.

But tbf D&D and HBO deserve a good portion of criticism as well. So just to reference issues surrounding the fan fiction era of GOT (6-8):

D&D: the biggest issue with both are that they are fanboys. As we have seen with zack Snyder is that it is advantage if you have a source material in which they have to strictly follow, but give them creative liberty to get from A-C then you have a problem. They literally threatened not to do season 7 over if they were allowed or not allowed to shoot a scene with a zombie polar bear. This last battle also showed their egos more. The whole point of the needless extra 5 zombie dog piles was to beat LOTR’s Battle of Helmsdeep runtime. You see where their geekdom can be a problem

As for HBO, they still haven’t learned from Rome. These kinda epic series cost tons of money. I think cutting it to 8 seasons instead of 10 was a mistake based on money. We knew there were 2 battles that needed to resolve the series. It was obvious that they used the darkness to cut special effects costs so they could pull off the battle for kings landing.
there are like 40 people left in Danerys's army, even with 2 Dragons how are they supposed to have a battle for King Landing?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
there are like 40 people left in Danerys's army, even with 2 Dragons how are they supposed to have a battle for King Landing?
You already know they are going to Star Wars TLJ it, and come up with a reason.

I personally think either they are going to say there are more unsullied guarding Casterly Rock and the rest of the Iron Borne. Or they are going to have the Lannister army defect to Jamie’s side. Because at some point you are going to have to showcase the Golden Company... of course they can be the ones defecting due to the lack of funds.

Point is they are going to come up with a lazy reason that is either glossed over or beat to death by fans depending on how satisfying the battle ends up being

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
You already know they are going to Star Wars TLJ it, and come up with a reason.

I personally think either they are going to say there are more unsullied guarding Casterly Rock and the rest of the Iron Borne. Or they are going to have the Lannister army defect to Jamie’s side. Because at some point you are going to have to showcase the Golden Company... of course they can be the ones defecting due to the lack of funds.

Point is they are going to come up with a lazy reason that is either glossed over or beat to death by fans depending on how satisfying the battle ends up being
I was thinking they are going to pull the Second Sons from Mareen and perhaps a few others

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
So, I have last week's episode on, waiting for tonight's to start, and I'm finding myself wondering the exact same thing I was wondering last week and I'm curious as to whether anyone else wondered it as well...

Why, for the love of all things living, didn't they make a crap-ton of dragon-glass arrowheads?!?!?!!!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Dany is spiraling out of control. Won't listen to most trusted advisors giving sound advice, has convinced herself that she is "destined," and is growing paranoid. Now she views Jon as a threat.

Honestly, she's beginning to have more in common with Cersei than the old Khaleesi. I don't think this ends well for her.

Cersei and Euron are absolutely despicable characters. I actually think Euron is the more honorable of the two (not that that's much of a bar to chin). Both are cruel and full of hate. However, Euron makes no pretense of being anything other than what he is. Cersei, on the other hand is full of pretense.

Meanwhile, Jon's true parentage is bound to get out. As Varys said, if 8 people know, it might as well be public. When it does, the people and the armies (other than the Unsullied -- more on that in a minute) will flock to him. He's a better leader and more effective than Danerys. He also understands what's needed to fight a battle, whereas Danerys now can see nothing other than the throne, and doesn't care about battle-readiness. She's destined, after all.

And then there's The Hound and Arya headed to Kings Landing. And Jamie. I think all three are on a mission. The Hound to kill The Mountain or die trying. Arya and Jamie to kill Cersei.

Prediction: Arya kills Euron and Jamie kills Cersei. Jamie's just not what he once was.

Got distracted...back to the Unsullied. Cersei killing Missandei is a wildcard. Could inspire Danerys and Grey Worm to heights of vengeance. Could equally goad them into emotionally-driven rash, premature, and/or insufficiently-resourced action carrying nasty consequences.

Given Khaleesi’s delusions, my money is on the latter.

Either way, The Unsullied end in a blaze of glory, following Khaleesi and Grey Worm wherever they lead, all the way to the conclusion. Question is whether it’s a positive or negative ending.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think this season is trying to satisfy both type of GOT crowds. The ones that loved the political backstabbing of seasons 1-5 and those who loved the fan service of the 6th and 7th seasons. I think the only problem is that we only have 6 episodes and conclusions to some of these story arcs are going to feel rushed and unearned. Last nights episode was pretty good imo but I think next week might be another break neck speed episode that concludes way too fast for most people’s liking.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.