Game of Thrones SPOILERS

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think we are to a point in the show in which its almost impossible to have a conversation about the show without giving away spoilers. So I think this maybe needed to air some grievances or have some hurrahs about the show.

This is for spoilers. after the image and this post the spoiler warning is over.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Im going to be more vague at first to give one extra warning to those that may get second thoughts after reading some mild spoilers

-Okay there are 3 main deaths in the battle of Winterfell, and for the most part I believed that they are done well.

- The Battle is pretty epic. Think LOTR but bigger

- Melisandra is pretty awesome

- Everyone you think is going to make it out makes it out

- The surprise ending is one of the most satisfying and one of the most unfulfilling aspect of the episode. Satisfying in how it is done, but I think the lore should've been expanded more in the previous episodes.

- I think the battle at the end of the season is going to go along way into either justifying the twist ending or making it look stupid

8.5/10

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Will we ever have a moment like that again in television? I am so happy I didn't have any spoilers and saw that live. I literally jumped out of my chair and cheered.

This was a great weekend with Endgame and then this episode.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
SPOILER ALERT

If you read any further before seeing Season 8, Episode 3, it will ruin any surprises.

As stated in the Predictions thread, I didn't like this episode at all.

It was essentially one long battle scene. Dothraki get wiped out first. Then the Unsullied initially hold ground, but are beaten back by sheer numbers. There are just too many enemy, and not even the best fighter can overcome that volume. It's clear that it's just a matter of a very short time before even the most heroic defense will be overwhelmed.

Then out of nowhere, Arya makes a flying lunge at the Night King. He catches her at arm's length just before she gets him with a dragon glass dagger. She fumbles it, then catches it on the way down, and stabs blue eyes just above the knee. He fragments, and all of the Army of the Dead, including the blue-eyed dragon, disintegrate. Battle won.

WTH? That's not believable even in the context of fantasy literature. Arya sneaks through thousands of dead surrounding Bran and makes it, all alone, even through the last circle of White Walkers, all the way to the Night King, totally undetected? Really?

Then the trailer, with Danerys saying, "We've won the Great War, not we'll win the Last War," implies that she still has an army capable of doing anything at all. Dothraki are gone. Unsullied are at best a shadow of their former strength. Wildlings are decimated, and other parts of the alliance are in similar shape. Again, even by fantasy standards, how are we to believe there's anything left to fight with?

The second dragon might or might not be gone. Last we saw, he was struggling to take off with a bunch of wights riding and stabbing him. If they killed him, he's still dead, since the Night King can't raise him anymore. I'm betting he's still alive, but grievously wounded. Either way, I don't think he's an effective fighting force. Leaving Danerys with one usable dragon -- which is admittedly still one more than anybody else has.

And I was massively irritated by the dead Starks rising in the crypt. They didn't die by the Night King or his minions, and up to tonight there's been no indication that he can raise dead that his own forces didn't cause. So all that changes now? Please.

I'm glad the Night King is gone, and that a lot of central characters survived. But really, even by fantasy standards, that was an intellectually cheap way to get there.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Will we ever have a moment like that again in television? I am so happy I didn't have any spoilers and saw that live. I literally jumped out of my chair and cheered.

This was a great weekend with Endgame and then this episode.
Im kinda surprised that there really wasn't that game changer death. I seriously thought Jamie or Brienne or one of the Stark children was going to get it, but all survived.

The one nag I do have is that they did build the Army of the Dead up so much, and pretty much ended the story abruptly. I do like that the Night King was a macguffin and Cersi is the real threat. But I get a feeling that it would've been better served to have a season 9 because they missed out on some very good opportunities to expand the lore of the Night King, and make the army of the dead more of a threat than it already was.

I pretty much knew it was going to end 1 of 3 ways. 1) The Night King would be defeated at a great cost 2) Winterfell fell to the army of the dead, or 3) the attack was a diversion and the Night King was heading south. I picked 3 but it ended up be 1.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
SPOILER ALERT

Then out of nowhere, Arya makes a flying lunge at the Night King. He catches her at arm's length just before she gets him with a dragon glass dagger. She fumbles it, then catches it on the way down, and stabs blue eyes just above the knee. He fragments, and all of the Army of the Dead, including the blue-eyed dragon, disintegrate. Battle won.

She did that knife move in a previous episode. It definitely wasn't a fumble.

WTH? That's not believable even in the context of fantasy literature. Arya sneaks through thousands of dead surrounding Bran and makes it, all alone, even through the last circle of White Walkers, all the way to the Night King, totally undetected? Really?

​Wasn't her whole thing all these seasons the way she snuck around? It finally paid off. I think the walkers were just in a trance waiting for the Night King to make his move. You could see the the one walker's hair move when she came charging in.

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Im kinda surprised that there really wasn't that game changer death. I seriously thought Jamie or Brienne or one of the Stark children was going to get it, but all survived.

The one nag I do have is that they did build the Army of the Dead up so much, and pretty much ended the story abruptly. I do like that the Night King was a macguffin and Cersi is the real threat. But I get a feeling that it would've been better served to have a season 9 because they missed out on some very good opportunities to expand the lore of the Night King, and make the army of the dead more of a threat than it already was.

I pretty much knew it was going to end 1 of 3 ways. 1) The Night King would be defeated at a great cost 2) Winterfell fell to the army of the dead, or 3) the attack was a diversion and the Night King was heading south. I picked 3 but it ended up be 1.
Seems like a false sense of hope for us as fans. I have a feeling more will die in the final battle.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Then the trailer, with Danerys saying, "We've won the Great War, not we'll win the Last War," implies that she still has an army capable of doing anything at all. Dothraki are gone. Unsullied are at best a shadow of their former strength. Wildlings are decimated, and other parts of the alliance are in similar shape. Again, even by fantasy standards, how are we to believe there's anything left to fight with?

And I was massively irritated by the dead Starks rising in the crypt. They didn't die by the Night King or his minions, and up to tonight there's been no indication that he can raise dead that his own forces didn't cause. So all that changes now? Please.
Dany still has some of her forces at Dragonstone and Casterly Rock from what I remember. but the tide has definitely turned on her.

As for the crypts... I think we all knew they were going to do it, but were hoping they weren't.

I think the main problem with this and last season is that this show really should be 10 seasons and not 8. Season 7 is my least favorite season next to season 5 of the series mostly because it was rushed. GOT should've gone like this

S7- Dany and Jon meet
S8- We get the peace story arc that we had at the end of season 7
s9: The war for the dawn
s10: the war for the 7 kingdoms

I just think the shortened seasons, the break neck plot, and the fact we are basically dealing with fanfiction vs source material has kinda limited us from the solid seasons of S2-4.

But so far Season 8 has really delivered imo, but maybe its too big of a story for 6 episodes. I hope it continues its momentum

Last edited:

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
SPOILER ALERT

I’ll only address this point right now, and it is something GOT could have done better. Of anyone, Arya was the perfect choice to sneak up on the Night King. Had they actually shown her as a wight or white walker getting that close it would have made a little more sense because she could have obviously disguised herself as one. I think it was implied that’s how she got so close, but maybe should have been actually shown.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’ll only address this point right now, and it is something GOT could have done better. Of anyone, Arya was the perfect choice to sneak up on the Night King. Had they actually shown her as a wight or white walker getting that close it would have made a little more sense because she could have obviously disguised herself as one. I think it was implied that’s how she got so close, but maybe should have been actually shown.
I think if wasn’t Jon then Arya or Jamie were the only ones that made any sense in killing him.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
SPOILER ALERT

The second dragon might or might not be gone. Last we saw, he was struggling to take off with a bunch of wights riding and stabbing him. If they killed him, he's still dead, since the Night King can't raise him anymore. I'm betting he's still alive, but grievously wounded. Either way, I don't think he's an effective fighting force. Leaving Danerys with one usable dragon -- which is admittedly still one more than anybody else has.
You’re assuming the Lannister army will align themselves with Cersei over both Jaime and Tyrion.

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Maybe it is like The Walking Dead, she had all that wight blood all over her. I still think that the Night King was so arrogant that he had all the surrounding dead in a trance to watch him finally get Bran.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
Maybe it is like The Walking Dead, she had all that wight blood all over her. I still think that the Night King was so arrogant that he had all the surrounding dead in a trance to watch him finally get Bran.
I was referring to her training with the Faceless Men.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

She used the knife move when sparring with Brienne upon her return to Winterfell, it was taught to her by Sirio Farrell way back in Season 1 and was foreshadowed by Mellisandre with the "what do we say to the god of Death, not today" line that was Sirio's

The sneaking up in the godswood was also foreshadowed last season. Jon is there by himself brooding (shockingly) when Arya simply appears and he says "how did you sneak up on me like that"

Arya at this point is a Faceless Man a practiced and silent assassin if anyone in Westeros could sneak through the wights it's her and it is on her own turf where she's been sneaking since she was toddler

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.