What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNation View Post
    Pruitt has to prove himself over the long term before he's even in the top 50 IMHO. He can get there but it's a long haul with lots of coaching & recruiting scenarios to come. Even if he were to win 10+ this year, let's see what he does over the next 5-10 years before we put him at the top or proclaim him heir apparent!

Also, the premise was "... if we had to hire a coach right now and Dabo said "no"
    Well, for sure, I hope it's like 10 years before we find out AND then I hope Dabo won't say "no" and then if he does somebody like JP has proven himself.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    He also averages five losses a season over the last five seasons. Took him two of the most unbelievable plays to not have 3+ losses in 2013, too.

Hear about it pretty much every week on sports radio in Montgomery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Again who are you putting over him?

Shaw and Patterson? Guys that play in far weaker conferences and subdivisions and have still found a way to be irrelevant

Harbaugh? Maybe but harbaugh has done less than Gus in a comparable subdivision

I think Gus is Boom or average, but when he is boom it’s nearly impossible to beat them.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

1. Nick Saban
    2. Dabo Swinney
    3. Lincoln Riley
    4. Jimbo Fisher
    5. Kirby Smart
    6. Chris Peterson
    7. Gary Patterson
    8. Dan Mullen
    9. Tom Herman
    10.David Shaw
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Again who are you putting over him?

Shaw and Patterson? Guys that play in far weaker conferences and subdivisions and have still found a way to be irrelevant

Harbaugh? Maybe but harbaugh has done less than Gus in a comparable subdivision

I think Gus is Boom or average, but when he is boom it’s nearly impossible to beat them.
    I get it. When you think about comparing him to a single coach to decide, it becomes harder than just a blanket statement.

Another issue brought up on a consistent basis down here is his lack of player development. With the recruiting classes he has, he should do better than 5 losses a year.

When you say “when he is boom it’s nearly impossible to beat them,” what years are you referencing?

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    I get it. When you think about comparing him to a single coach to decide, it becomes harder than just a blanket statement.

Another issue brought up on a consistent basis down here is his lack of player development. With the recruiting classes he has, he should do better than 5 losses a year.

When you say “when he is boom it’s nearly impossible to beat them,” what years are you referencing?

13 and 17.

I think Patterson and Shaw are the same thing but they don’t go up against near as big competition as Gus does when they are having their “average” seasons. I just think if you were giving me a choice between 10 possible candidates to fill a new team out of active coaches I would find it difficult not to include Gus amongst them. If we are going to parade around the idea of the SEC being one of the toughest conferences you have to entertain the idea of what if would be like if Gus and Auburn were not in the SEC but in the PAC 12 or wherever and Patterson/TCU, Shaw/Stanford, and whoever were.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

I like BN's list. With Miles coaching again, he would make my list. He didn't forget how to coach - he just couldn't get past Saban.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I like BN's list. With Miles coaching again, he would make my list. He didn't forget how to coach - he just couldn't get past Saban.
    The funny thing about Les getting fired was, he was doing the exact same things as coach only he was losing the games he had been winning. His quirkiness and boneheaded late game calls were fine when he was winning them. When he started losing them L8U wanted him fired.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation First Team

1. Nick Saban
    2. Dabo Swinney
    3. Lincoln Riley
    4. Kirby Smart
    5. Jimbo Fisher
    6. Chris Peterson
    7. Gary Patterson
    8. David Shaw
    9. Dan Mullen
    10. Chris Klieman (As a nod to DI-AA...could fall off this year at K-State)

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saturdaysarebet View Post
    Crimson 1967 got me to thinking. With Les Miles and Mack Brown back on the sideline, that now makes five active coaches that have won national championships, the others being Coach Saban, Dabo and Jimbo Fisher.

What's your top 10 list look like? Does it have Lincoln Riley, Brian Kelly, Tom Herman, David Shaw, Kirby Smart, Chris Petersen, Mark Dantonio, James Franklin, Harbaugh? Does the last coach to beat Coach Saban other than Dabo make your list? That would be Gus Malzahn.

What about the coaches that seem to do more with less: Pat Fitzgerald, David Cutcliffe, Bill Snyder?

What's your top 10 list look like?

Once again we have what I call "the Alabama vision problem." Too many Alabama fans thinking, "Well, if he hasn't won X hundred championships, he ain't no good."

What did Nick Saban win at Michigan St? And why did he leave there? Oh yeah - his own words - because even he couldn't win a national championship in East Lansing (so goes the tell of Saban and Mark Emmert both).

So I'm forced to consider scenarios like: "If I take coach X and put him on team Y, does he improve that team's standing?"

There are a few coaches it's too soon to evaluate. Lincoln Riley might well be the next Steve Spurrier - but he's just as likely at this point to be the next Dennis Erickson, a guy who could do a bunch with Jimmy Johnson's players and couldn't do diddly anywhere else. Same goes for Tom Herman. FTR - I think both are going to do just fine.

So.....the top ten.

1) Nick Saban
    2) Dabo Swinney

Followed by a Grand Canyon of distance.....

3) Dan Mullen - it's very simple: how many other coaches in CFB could take MISSISSIPPI STATE to the top spot and keep them there for a month? Keep in mind he's the #2 program in the state and doesn't get the superstar recruits (oh yeah.....and he pulled this while Ole Miss was bankrolling Mo Greene to send them every burner receiver they could afford). He couldn't beat Saban - but he beat pretty much everyone else multiple times and with a talent gap I expect to narrow in Florida.

4) Jimbo - we'll wait and see if his title was a fluke or if he's the real deal.

The next four you could flip around in almost any order.

5) Paul Chryst - almost the Gene Stallings of Big Ten football with a lesser defense. He's not Urban Meyer, but the guy just flat out wins to the tune of .663. His team is not flashy just steady but consider that in recent years he's turned in a solid performance losing to Alabama and beaten Les Miles's LSU (2016). He coached the Pitt team that took Notre Dame to three overtimes in 2012, and he's won two division titles, lost 2 B1G titles to substantially better teams by one score each time, and he's 4-0 in bowls, including a thumping of Mark Richt's #11 Miami team.

6) Chris Peterson - he's not likely to win a national title unless he gets a little bit of luck......say goes unbeaten, draws the easy game in the early round, and the two behemoths take it out of each other and enable him to beat a weakened foe. But he's a very good and solid coach.

7) Kirby Smart - question is still whether he's capable of making in-game decisions that don't involve using that 8 ball with water and following it's advice when it tells him to do something incredibly stupid.

8) Mark Dantonio - I guess one could argue he's better than Chryst as his winning pct is higher. On the other hand, he's the Don Nehlen of CFB, the guy who can't put together two solid seasons in a row. Sure, he did in 2010 and 2011......when Ohio St was in the midst of scandal and Michigan was in the midst of Rich Rodriguez to Brady Hoke. It was more of a case of other teams imploding than any excellence Mark did. Still, he's a solid coach. Dantonio vs Chryst? Well, they've played once and Chryst's team won, 30-6.

9) David Shaw - the problem with Shaw is that while he manages to put together a solid team that was able to slow down Oregon a time or two, he also manages to blow 1-2 games per year where he has the greater talent. He will move up this list if he can rectify that.

10) James Franklin - jury is still out, but he seems to be a decent enough coach.

Best up and comers
    Mario Cristobal
    Lincoln Riley
    Tom Herman
    Jeremy Pruitt
    Clay Helton

Overrated - Kevin Sumlin, Mike Gundy, Mark Stoops
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

David Shaw has only beaten 1 Top 10, and 3 ranked opponents in the last 3 years. I think it’s pretty obvious that after Harbaugh’s recruits left Shaw has been playing with borrowed time in a weak division waiting for someone like Peterson to take control.

BamaNation Second Team CoachInWaiting's Avatar

1. Saban, of course
    2. Peterson
    3. Dabo
    4. Shaw
    5. Patterson
    6. Jimbo
    7. Jeff Monken
    8. L. Riley
    9. B. Harsen
    10. F. Solich
    ​They said Bear Bryant walked on water....Nick Saban swims through land.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoachInWaiting View Post
    1. Saban, of course
    2. Peterson
    3. Dabo
    4. Shaw
    5. Patterson
    6. Jimbo
    7. Jeff Monken
    8. L. Riley
    9. B. Harsen
    10. F. Solich
    How to explain #2 over #3 objectively?

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    The funny thing about Les getting fired was, he was doing the exact same things as coach only he was losing the games he had been winning. His quirkiness and boneheaded late game calls were fine when he was winning them. When he started losing them L8U wanted him fired.
    LSU fired him for losing to Alabama. Orgeron will also get fired for losing to Saban, no matter how many other games he wins.