What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 68
  1. #27
    BamaNation Second Team CoachInWaiting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    238

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    How to explain #2 over #3 objectively?
    What Peterson does with his level of talent. Kudos to Dabo for his recruiting, though. It is very close in my opinion, and I almost took the cop-out and made then 2A and 2B. Bottom line, if Saban announced his retirement today, I'd rather have Peterson. Just a personal choice though.
    ​They said Bear Bryant walked on water....Nick Saban swims through land.

  2. #28
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19,317

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    David Shaw has only beaten 1 Top 10, and 3 ranked opponents in the last 3 years. I think it’s pretty obvious that after Harbaugh’s recruits left Shaw has been playing with borrowed time in a weak division waiting for someone like Peterson to take control.
    Shaw took over in 2011, meaning we can use the "but he had the other guy's players for 11, 12, and 13.

    Since then, he's gone 48-19 (.716)

    In 2015 (four years ago), he went 5-0 against ranked teams and 3-0 against the top ten teams. In fact, he had a substantially easier time with Iowa than did Mark Dantonio.

    Yes, he's 10-12 against ranked teams.

    But there's another variable: Stanford's academic standards are substantially more than most schools, which automatically puts him at a disadvantage.

    Not to sound like I'm beating a dead horse here, but...

    Gus Malzahn 2014-2018: 41-26, 0 SEC titles, 1 division title, 11-17 vs ranked teams
    David Shaw 2014-2018: 48-19, 1 Pac 10 title, 2 division titles, 10-12 vs ranked teams

    Now.....put Malzahn and his style of high school garbage at Stanford with the limitations Shaw has......and put Shaw at Auburn......and tell me who has the better record and is the better football coach?

    Yes, I've excluded 2013 for two reasons. First, to set aside the "but Harbaugh" argument but then again Malzahn's 2013 team as seniors won a national title as freshmen, so who exactly inherited the better squad? Secondly, the distance isn't so far as BOTH Shaw AND Malzahn were both OCs on what was basically the team they inherited.

    So if we include 2013.....


    Malzahn is 53-27, Shaw is 59-22 and each adds a conference title and a bowl game loss (although Malzahn gets credit for a national title appearance).

    I'm not as averse as a lot of Tide fans to Gus, I like his enthusiasm. I also think he's another Lincoln Riley type coach (at least so far) who coaches "defense optional."
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

    I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

    Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

    After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

  3. #29
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19,317

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    The funny thing about Les getting fired was, he was doing the exact same things as coach only he was losing the games he had been winning. His quirkiness and boneheaded late game calls were fine when he was winning them. When he started losing them L8U wanted him fired.
    you're correct, but so is B1G. The 2016 loss to Auburn was "really" about the 2015 loss to Alabama....and 2014......and 2013......and 2012........and 2011........

    Miles was by the seat of his pants, true, and he'd already blown a few with that nonsense (he blew 09 Ole Miss and got a reprieve against the Vols in 10 only because his chaos led to too many men on the field for Tennessee).
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

    I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

    Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

    After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

  4. #30
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    10,481

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Shaw took over in 2011, meaning we can use the "but he had the other guy's players for 11, 12, and 13.

    Since then, he's gone 48-19 (.716)

    In 2015 (four years ago), he went 5-0 against ranked teams and 3-0 against the top ten teams. In fact, he had a substantially easier time with Iowa than did Mark Dantonio.

    Yes, he's 10-12 against ranked teams.

    But there's another variable: Stanford's academic standards are substantially more than most schools, which automatically puts him at a disadvantage.

    Not to sound like I'm beating a dead horse here, but...

    Gus Malzahn 2014-2018: 41-26, 0 SEC titles, 1 division title, 11-17 vs ranked teams
    David Shaw 2014-2018: 48-19, 1 Pac 10 title, 2 division titles, 10-12 vs ranked teams

    Now.....put Malzahn and his style of high school garbage at Stanford with the limitations Shaw has......and put Shaw at Auburn......and tell me who has the better record and is the better football coach?

    Yes, I've excluded 2013 for two reasons. First, to set aside the "but Harbaugh" argument but then again Malzahn's 2013 team as seniors won a national title as freshmen, so who exactly inherited the better squad? Secondly, the distance isn't so far as BOTH Shaw AND Malzahn were both OCs on what was basically the team they inherited.

    So if we include 2013.....


    Malzahn is 53-27, Shaw is 59-22 and each adds a conference title and a bowl game loss (although Malzahn gets credit for a national title appearance).

    I'm not as averse as a lot of Tide fans to Gus, I like his enthusiasm. I also think he's another Lincoln Riley type coach (at least so far) who coaches "defense optional."
    Yes but here is the kicker. Malzahn plays in a conference and subdivision that is far more challenging than Stanford. Stanford only has to win one hard game to get into the PAC 12 championship but that game is nowhere near the two games that await Gus at the end of the year even if you reduce it to one. Yes Shaw has ND but that game doesn’t really matter.

    But the second kicker is that Shaw’s protege is already showing that his style probably doesn’t translate well in the SEC. He is practically a mirror image of a shaw team without California talent going against PAC 12 talent. Vandy is under the same limitations as Stanford but is scratching for wins. Franklin was there for 3 years and won 9 games back to back years.

    Point is Patterson and Shaw are probably way overvalued based off their early success against a weakened subdivision or conference. Gus is facing monsters every week. Losing to a LSU and Miss st is a lot different than losing a game to Cal.

  5. #31
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19,317

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Yes but here is the kicker. Malzahn plays in a conference and subdivision that is far more challenging than Stanford.

    Far more challenging, I doubt. More challenging? Indisputable.

    But again NONE of those schools have the academic admissions requirements that Stanford does. Some in his own league have similar ones (insert USC Lori Loughlin scandal joke here).

    But Shaw pulling off what he has done is just a step below if the Air Force Academy was in the hunt.

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Stanford only has to win one hard game to get into the PAC 12 championship but that game is nowhere near the two games that await Gus at the end of the year even if you reduce it to one. Yes Shaw has ND but that game doesn’t really matter.
    The problem is Gus has to win those but - for the most part - he doesn't. If the argument is "Malzahn has to play X and lose to them," I'm sure Shaw could lose to both UGA and Alabama as well.

    Could he beat them? Probably if given time.

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    But the second kicker is that Shaw’s protege is already showing that his style probably doesn’t translate well in the SEC. He is practically a mirror image of a shaw team without California talent going against PAC 12 talent.
    Most of Nick Saban's proteges have flopped as well. It doesn't prove much of anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Vandy is under the same limitations as Stanford but is scratching for wins. Franklin was there for 3 years and won 9 games back to back years.
    Yes, and he also had the good fortune to be in the SEC East when he got to replace a West team with Missouri (one win), Urban Meyer left (one win), Derek Dooley and Butch Jones were at Tennessee (two wins), caught Auburn in the 3-9 down draft of 2012 (who replaced Alabama on their schedule that year) for another win, and caught UGA in Richt's twilight.

    I'm not saying he's not a good coach, but Franklin damn near lost to App State this last year with a team that was supposed to be a national title contender.

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Point is Patterson and Shaw are probably way overvalued based off their early success against a weakened subdivision or conference.
    A few posts ago the argument was "But Harbaugh's players." Now that that argument has been shown to be less than 100% accurate it's "but Stanford doesn't play anybody."

    I don't disagree with the fact that the SEC is a tougher conference year-in and year-out than the Pac 12.

    But that's not the REAL question.

    Could David Shaw come to Auburn and win eight games a year like Malzahn does?

    Yup. Could Malzahn go and win 9 or 10 in the Pac 12 like Shaw does WITHE THE LIMITATIONS? I don't think so.


    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Gus is facing monsters every week. Losing to a LSU and Miss st is a lot different than losing a game to Cal.
    Uh, Cal hasn't beaten Stanford in football since 2009 when Jim Harbaugh's players lost to them.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

    I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

    Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

    After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

  6. #32
    BamaNation All-American tusks_n_raider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    4,854

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Top 10 Right Now (How Great they are Currently)

    1A. Nick Saban

    1B. Dabo Swinney


    3. Lincoln Riley
    4. Kirby Smart
    5. Jimbo Fisher
    6. Chris Peterson
    7. Chip Kelly


    8. Gary Patterson
    9. Dan Mullen
    10.David Shaw

  7. #33
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    10,481

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Far more challenging, I doubt. More challenging? Indisputable.

    But again NONE of those schools have the academic admissions requirements that Stanford does. Some in his own league have similar ones (insert USC Lori Loughlin scandal joke here).

    But Shaw pulling off what he has done is just a step below if the Air Force Academy was in the hunt.



    The problem is Gus has to win those but - for the most part - he doesn't. If the argument is "Malzahn has to play X and lose to them," I'm sure Shaw could lose to both UGA and Alabama as well.

    Could he beat them? Probably if given time.



    Most of Nick Saban's proteges have flopped as well. It doesn't prove much of anything.



    Yes, and he also had the good fortune to be in the SEC East when he got to replace a West team with Missouri (one win), Urban Meyer left (one win), Derek Dooley and Butch Jones were at Tennessee (two wins), caught Auburn in the 3-9 down draft of 2012 (who replaced Alabama on their schedule that year) for another win, and caught UGA in Richt's twilight.

    I'm not saying he's not a good coach, but Franklin damn near lost to App State this last year with a team that was supposed to be a national title contender.



    A few posts ago the argument was "But Harbaugh's players." Now that that argument has been shown to be less than 100% accurate it's "but Stanford doesn't play anybody."

    I don't disagree with the fact that the SEC is a tougher conference year-in and year-out than the Pac 12.

    But that's not the REAL question.

    Could David Shaw come to Auburn and win eight games a year like Malzahn does?

    Yup. Could Malzahn go and win 9 or 10 in the Pac 12 like Shaw does WITHE THE LIMITATIONS? I don't think so.




    Uh, Cal hasn't beaten Stanford in football since 2009 when Jim Harbaugh's players lost to them.
    Actually it’s both “ he is living off Harbaugh” and “plays in a weak subdivision”.

    For the 1st: it’s indisputable that his first 3 years are his best. He went 3 straight big Bowls and had two PAC 12 championships. Since then 1 PAC 12 championships and 1 Rose Bowl appearance.

    Weak subdivision: In the past three years Peterson has achieved 3 straight NY6 bowl appearances without tapping into Sarks recruits. I mean Washington is about just a little better than The Mississippis I guess but they are pretty much dominating the PAC 12. I mean you really don’t have USC, UCLA, and Oregon to worry about at the same time anymore. It’s now beat Washington and you are in very good shape as long as you don’t find away to blow a game against USC.

    But here is another thing, Auburn and Stanford had a common opponent last year... even if you want to make the argument that it’s 1st game vs late season it still doesn’t answer why the three weeks prior to playoffs them that both Cal and Oregon beat Washington but David Shaw couldn’t.

    As for losing to Cal... fine I got Washington mixed up with Stanford, but I’ll replace it with something better. “ losing to either SAN DIEGO ST or Utah isn’t the same as losing to Arkansas or Tennessee”. Gus’s 2 worst losses are 2015 vs Arkansas and 2018 vs Tennessee, I don’t think either of them would lose to 2014 Utah or 2017 SDSU. Even if you try to say UCF, UCF was light years better than that team that beat Shaw in San Diego.

  8. #34
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    281

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    1. Nick Saban
    2. Dabo Swinney
    3. Jimbo Fisher
    4. Chris Peterson
    5. Kirby Smart - I put Kirby ahead of Lincoln, because Kirby's 1-0 against Lincoln.
    6. Lincoln Riley
    7. David Shaw
    8. Scott Frost
    9. Tom Herman
    10. James Franklin

  9. #35
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19,317

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Actually it’s both “ he is living off Harbaugh” and “plays in a weak subdivision”.

    For the 1st: it’s indisputable that his first 3 years are his best. He went 3 straight big Bowls and had two PAC 12 championships. Since then 1 PAC 12 championships and 1 Rose Bowl appearance.

    Weak subdivision: In the past three years Peterson has achieved 3 straight NY6 bowl appearances without tapping into Sarks recruits. I mean Washington is about just a little better than The Mississippis I guess but they are pretty much dominating the PAC 12. I mean you really don’t have USC, UCLA, and Oregon to worry about at the same time anymore. It’s now beat Washington and you are in very good shape as long as you don’t find away to blow a game against USC.

    But here is another thing, Auburn and Stanford had a common opponent last year... even if you want to make the argument that it’s 1st game vs late season it still doesn’t answer why the three weeks prior to playoffs them that both Cal and Oregon beat Washington but David Shaw couldn’t.

    As for losing to Cal... fine I got Washington mixed up with Stanford, but I’ll replace it with something better. “ losing to either SAN DIEGO ST or Utah isn’t the same as losing to Arkansas or Tennessee”. Gus’s 2 worst losses are 2015 vs Arkansas and 2018 vs Tennessee, I don’t think either of them would lose to 2014 Utah or 2017 SDSU. Even if you try to say UCF, UCF was light years better than that team that beat Shaw in San Diego.

    Look - we don't see eye to eye on this and that's fine.

    I'm not gonna argue who's the tenth best coach in CFB...


    :O
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

    I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

    Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

    After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

  10. #36
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    10,481

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Look - we don't see eye to eye on this and that's fine.

    I'm not gonna argue who's the tenth best coach in CFB...


    :O
    Outside the top 5 it’s really a load of average to slightly above coaches. So I guess it really doesn’t matter as long as you get 4 out of 5 of the top 5 right.

  11. #37
    BamaNation Scout Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    7

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    1 CNS
    2 Dabo
    3 Kirby
    4 Peterson
    5 Lincoln Riley
    6 Scott Frost
    7 Gary Patterson
    8 David Shaw
    9 Jimbo Fisher
    10 Harbaugh

  12. #38
    BamaNation Third Team
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    14

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    1) Nick Saban
    - The man is truly one of, if not the greatest coach in college football. I base this a lot on the fact that he doesn't lean on the coaches around him, but he builds the coaches around him. How many different offensive and defensive coordinators has Saban had??? It seems that it does not matter what coaches are on his staff or how many players went to the draft the previous year... the team is just as deadly if not more deadly the next year. Could Dabo say the same?

    2) Dabo
    - I give him this primarily due to accomplishments (national titles and conference titles). However, Clemson plays in a very weak conference and Dabo has a staff that does not have much change from year to year. Put Dabo in the SEC with the revolving coaching door that Saban has had and I don't think he would look nearly as impressive

    3) Kirby
    - Yes, I am biased here. Kirby beat Lincoln Riley. Kirby also only has 3 seasons of head coaching experience. What other coaches have been as successful as Kirby in their first 3 years? We will gauge more this year by seeing how he does with a new DC and new OC. In my opinion it is too early to tell, but its hard to say that Kirby isn't somewhere on the top 10 list at this time.

    4) Lincoln Riley
    -extremely impressive for his age and his number of years as a head coach. If he can get a defense figured out, they will be dangerous.

    5) Jimbo Fisher
    - Time will tell if he was a one hit wonder or not. He surely left FSU in shambles, but for a while there FSU was a pretty good team. He gets bumped up the board for the national championship

    6) Tom Herman
    -Texas was 6-7, 5-7, and 5-7 before Herman arrived and went 7-6 and then 10-4. Wins over Oklahoma and Georgia in a second year at Texas are impressive

    7) Chris Peterson
    - sure, he does a great job with what he has... but he also plays against PAC 12 schools and has a bowl record of 6-6

    8) Chip Kelly
    - how quickly and if he can turn around UCLA will tell us a lot

    9) David Shaw

    10) Scott Frost

    You could make arguments for any of them. Saban and Dabo are surely at the top, but I still insist that Dabo would not be nearly as successful in the SEC with a revolving coaching door like Saban has had.

  13. #39
    BamaNation Second Team DogPatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    149

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    1. Nick Saban
    2. Dabo Swinney
    3. Chris Peterson
    4. Jimbo Fisher
    5. Bryan Harsin
    6. Pat Fitzgerald
    7. Dan Mullen
    8. David Shaw
    9. Mark D'antonio
    10. Troy Calhoun

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear

2019 NFL Draft Gear