What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 68
  1. #40
    BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Gadsden, AL
    Posts
    11,669

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    1. Saban
    2. Dabo
    3. Lincoln Riley
    4. Chris Petersen
    5. Jimbo Fisher
    6. Tom Herman
    7. Kirby Smart
    8. James Franklin
    9. Dan Mullen
    10. Gary Patterson
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

  2. #41
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Greenbow, Alabama
    Posts
    15,843

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by DawgAlum2054 View Post
    1) Nick Saban
    - The man is truly one of, if not the greatest coach in college football. I base this a lot on the fact that he doesn't lean on the coaches around him, but he builds the coaches around him. How many different offensive and defensive coordinators has Saban had??? It seems that it does not matter what coaches are on his staff or how many players went to the draft the previous year... the team is just as deadly if not more deadly the next year. Could Dabo say the same?

    2) Dabo
    - I give him this primarily due to accomplishments (national titles and conference titles). However, Clemson plays in a very weak conference and Dabo has a staff that does not have much change from year to year. Put Dabo in the SEC with the revolving coaching door that Saban has had and I don't think he would look nearly as impressive

    3) Kirby
    - Yes, I am biased here. Kirby beat Lincoln Riley. Kirby also only has 3 seasons of head coaching experience. What other coaches have been as successful as Kirby in their first 3 years? We will gauge more this year by seeing how he does with a new DC and new OC. In my opinion it is too early to tell, but its hard to say that Kirby isn't somewhere on the top 10 list at this time.

    4) Lincoln Riley
    -extremely impressive for his age and his number of years as a head coach. If he can get a defense figured out, they will be dangerous.

    5) Jimbo Fisher
    - Time will tell if he was a one hit wonder or not. He surely left FSU in shambles, but for a while there FSU was a pretty good team. He gets bumped up the board for the national championship

    6) Tom Herman
    -Texas was 6-7, 5-7, and 5-7 before Herman arrived and went 7-6 and then 10-4. Wins over Oklahoma and Georgia in a second year at Texas are impressive

    7) Chris Peterson
    - sure, he does a great job with what he has... but he also plays against PAC 12 schools and has a bowl record of 6-6

    8) Chip Kelly
    - how quickly and if he can turn around UCLA will tell us a lot

    9) David Shaw

    10) Scott Frost

    You could make arguments for any of them. Saban and Dabo are surely at the top, but I still insist that Dabo would not be nearly as successful in the SEC with a revolving coaching door like Saban has had.
    Not sure Scott Frost is a top 10 coach yet, but IMO he has a tremendous amount of potential. His problem, like we have discussed many times, is that Nebraska's location makes it a tough sale when recruiting. The state does not produce a lot of D1 players and Nebraska has to rely on bringing in recruits from Texas, California, Florida and some east coast states. If he can get the recruits to Lincoln I believe he can be a perennial contender for the B1G West since it the easier side of the B1G. I see Frost much like Herman, but Herman is in a recruiting hotbed and Frost will have to expand his base nationwide.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

    "The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

  3. #42
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19,853

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by DawgAlum2054 View Post

    7) Chris Peterson
    - sure, he does a great job with what he has... but he also plays against PAC 12 schools and has a bowl record of 6-6
    Let's conveniently not mention that 2 of his 3 consecutive losses came to the 2 greatest coaches of the last 20 years..........

    Washington was playing the same easy Pac 12 schedule they were playing from 2001-2013. In fact, you can argue the additions of Colorado and Utah actually made the conference tougher.

    As far as Frost - I think he's a coach with a tremendous upside IF - and it's a huge IF - the Nebraska Mafia will sit down and shut up long enough to allow him to BUILD a team. They are going to have to tolerate 9-4 seasons with the occasional Big Ten championship and 2-3 times a decade in the top five (at absolute most). I think he offers substantial upside in that he can appeal to the native instincts of Nebraskans and maybe - just maybe - get 2 or 3 guys from outside the state who are 3-stars that turn out to do better than anticipated.

    But if they cling to that delusion of returning to the glory days of the 90s, Frost will wind up coaching in the Pac 12 himself.

    I actually didn't take Chip Kelly into consideration, but if you take the overall body of work, one can argue he's top ten. Let's see if he can get it going out there.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

    I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

    Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

    After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

  4. #43
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    11,485

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Frosty is probably looking forward to a 6-6 season this year assuming he doesnít lose any games he isnít supposed to. Out of his next 4 years he may not have but one above .500 season and I donít think the children of the corn are going to put up with that. The simple truth is Nebraska is dead and isnít coming back unless Nebraska fans stop acting like they are an elite program and give a longer grace period to coaches, and stop firing good coaches because they have issues with Osborne and the BOT. Nebraska isnít going to be a team that competes for National titles every decade anymore and them going to the Big 10 all but assured that.

    Point is I donít think Frosty is going to get the time to prove he is great coach. But also note that Frosty had every advantage known to man to succeed at UCF. This is his first real job.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; May 6th, 2019 at 08:37 AM.

  5. #44
    BamaNation Second Team CoachInWaiting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    238

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    IF Scott Frost wins at Nebraska with consistency, and gets the 'Huskers in the Top Ten, he deserves to be in the conversation as a great coach. The fortunes of Nebraska football went downhill with the demise of the Big 8 and the formation of the Big XII. The move to the B1G only exacerbated their misery.
    ​They said Bear Bryant walked on water....Nick Saban swims through land.

  6. #45
    BamaNation All-American crimson fan man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Athens Al
    Posts
    4,511

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    I think Frost is a very good coach but I agree with many going to Nebraska was a major bad decision. The Coach I believe that will make the biggest waves not counting Saban or Dabo is Mulllen. I always thought he was a good Coach even when he was still at Florida as an assistant.

  7. #46
    Big-12 All American owenfieldreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    galveston tx. usa
    Posts
    1,638

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    I'm a little surprised no one included Matt Campbell in their list.

  8. #47
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19,853

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by owenfieldreams View Post
    I'm a little surprised no one included Matt Campbell in their list.
    It would have been hypocritical of me given that Campbell has only been a coach 12 games long than Riley, whom I refused to rank along with Herman due to their newness.


    But I think his upside is tremendous, yes.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

    I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

    Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

    After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

  9. #48
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Vinings, ga., usa
    Posts
    20,680

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by owenfieldreams View Post
    I'm a little surprised no one included Matt Campbell in their list.
    The jury might still be out on him. Another team will eventually give him a shot and we shall see if he can win there too. I am so far impressed with what he can do at Iowa State.
    Architects do it with models.

    Roll Tide Roll

  10. #49
    Big-12 All American owenfieldreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    galveston tx. usa
    Posts
    1,638

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    I've always thought the best coaching took place at schools not endowed with all the attributes necessary for success. Hence, Patterson, Campbell, Gundy in the Big 12. Shaw out west. Mendenhall at BYU. Cutcliffe at Duke. I'm sure I'm overlooking others. Snyder is/was the poster child...maybe the best coaching job ever done given the circumstances.

  11. #50
    BamaNation All-American PA Tide Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    2,271

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    I'm surprised some have put Lincoln Riley so high. Can a great coach care so little about defense? I'm not so sure. He got to the playoff twice but that's because he has a dynamic offense and nobody plays defense in the Big 12. He inherited a great situation from Bob Stoops and won with Stoops recruits. I'll have to wait a couple more seasons to be sure about him.

  12. #51
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hoover, AL
    Posts
    15,989

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Let's conveniently not mention that 2 of his 3 consecutive losses came to the 2 greatest coaches of the last 20 years..........

    Washington was playing the same easy Pac 12 schedule they were playing from 2001-2013. In fact, you can argue the additions of Colorado and Utah actually made the conference tougher.

    As far as Frost - I think he's a coach with a tremendous upside IF - and it's a huge IF - the Nebraska Mafia will sit down and shut up long enough to allow him to BUILD a team. They are going to have to tolerate 9-4 seasons with the occasional Big Ten championship and 2-3 times a decade in the top five (at absolute most). I think he offers substantial upside in that he can appeal to the native instincts of Nebraskans and maybe - just maybe - get 2 or 3 guys from outside the state who are 3-stars that turn out to do better than anticipated.

    But if they cling to that delusion of returning to the glory days of the 90s, Frost will wind up coaching in the Pac 12 himself.

    I actually didn't take Chip Kelly into consideration, but if you take the overall body of work, one can argue he's top ten. Let's see if he can get it going out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Frosty is probably looking forward to a 6-6 season this year assuming he doesnít lose any games he isnít supposed to. Out of his next 4 years he may not have but one above .500 season and I donít think the children of the corn are going to put up with that. The simple truth is Nebraska is dead and isnít coming back unless Nebraska fans stop acting like they are an elite program and give a longer grace period to coaches, and stop firing good coaches because they have issues with Osborne and the BOT. Nebraska isnít going to be a team that competes for National titles every decade anymore and them going to the Big 10 all but assured that.

    Point is I donít think Frosty is going to get the time to prove he is great coach. But also note that Frosty had every advantage known to man to succeed at UCF. This is his first real job.
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachInWaiting View Post
    IF Scott Frost wins at Nebraska with consistency, and gets the 'Huskers in the Top Ten, he deserves to be in the conversation as a great coach. The fortunes of Nebraska football went downhill with the demise of the Big 8 and the formation of the Big XII. The move to the B1G only exacerbated their misery.
    Quote Originally Posted by crimson fan man View Post
    I think Frost is a very good coach but I agree with many going to Nebraska was a major bad decision. The Coach I believe that will make the biggest waves not counting Saban or Dabo is Mulllen. I always thought he was a good Coach even when he was still at Florida as an assistant.
    Scott Frost is their ďGolden BoyĒ and ďHometown heroĒ and their last QB to lead them to an undefeated and national championship season. Why would they not give him more time?? IE see Jim Harbaugh. Iím sure Tom Osborne has his back 100%. Iím sure Frost can handle the ďMafiaĒ better than any outsider could.

  13. #52
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19,853

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by owenfieldreams View Post
    I've always thought the best coaching took place at schools not endowed with all the attributes necessary for success. Hence, Patterson, Campbell, Gundy in the Big 12. Shaw out west. Mendenhall at BYU. Cutcliffe at Duke. I'm sure I'm overlooking others. Snyder is/was the poster child...maybe the best coaching job ever done given the circumstances.
    Snyder would have been in my top ten had he not just retired.

    I think Cutcliffe "was" top 20, but the game has passed him.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

    I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

    Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

    After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear