What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 68
  1. #1
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    154

    What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Crimson 1967 got me to thinking. With Les Miles and Mack Brown back on the sideline, that now makes five active coaches that have won national championships, the others being Coach Saban, Dabo and Jimbo Fisher.

    What's your top 10 list look like? Does it have Lincoln Riley, Brian Kelly, Tom Herman, David Shaw, Kirby Smart, Chris Petersen, Mark Dantonio, James Franklin, Harbaugh? Does the last coach to beat Coach Saban other than Dabo make your list? That would be Gus Malzahn.

    What about the coaches that seem to do more with less: Pat Fitzgerald, David Cutcliffe, Bill Snyder?

    What's your top 10 list look like?
    Last edited by saturdaysarebet; April 30th, 2019 at 06:46 AM. Reason: addition

  2. #2
    Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator
    BamaNation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,279

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    1. Nick Saban
    2. Dabo Swinney
    3. Lincoln Riley
    4. Chris Peterson
    5. Kirby Smart
    6. James Franklin
    7. Jimbo Fisher
    8. David Shaw
    9. Gary Patterson
    10. Dan Mullen


    One could argue (I would) that 3-10 really don't matter and any of these (and 20 others) could be at any one of those spots.

    The top two, IMHO, are far and away the best - in coaching, in getting assistant coaches who understand and can execute their plans and systems, in recruiting, in "coach'in 'em up", in preparation, in leadership, and in all the off-field things that are necessary to be a successful D1 coach (I don't use the term FBS).

  3. #3
    BamaNation All-SEC The Ols's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cumming,Ga.
    Posts
    1,149

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Agree with all but Franklin...jury's still out for me on him...Telling his coaches that they need hot wives still isn't sitting well here...
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNation View Post
    1. Nick Saban
    2. Dabo Swinney
    3. Lincoln Riley
    4. Chris Peterson
    5. Kirby Smart
    6. James Franklin
    7. Jimbo Fisher
    8. David Shaw
    9. Gary Patterson
    10. Dan Mullen


    One could argue (I would) that 3-10 really don't matter and any of these (and 20 others) could be at any one of those spots.

    The top two, IMHO, are far and away the best - in coaching, in getting assistant coaches who understand and can execute their plans and systems, in recruiting, in "coach'in 'em up", in preparation, in leadership, and in all the off-field things that are necessary to be a successful D1 coach (I don't use the term FBS).

  4. #4
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    11,621

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    In the other thread I said it was CNS and Dabo and then everybody else, including Jimbo and the other guys who have won one title.

    Let's be real, if we had to hire a coach right now and Dabo said "no," would you want to hire Jimbo, Miles or Brown just because they had a title?

  5. #5
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    19,354

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    In the other thread I said it was CNS and Dabo and then everybody else, including Jimbo and the other guys who have won one title.

    Let's be real, if we had to hire a coach right now and Dabo said "no," would you want to hire Jimbo, Miles or Brown just because they had a title?
    No, I'd insist on Gene Chizik.......what coach knows more about beating Auburn....??????
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

    I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

    Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

    After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

  6. #6
    Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator
    BamaNation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,279

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    In the other thread I said it was CNS and Dabo and then everybody else, including Jimbo and the other guys who have won one title.

    Let's be real, if we had to hire a coach right now and Dabo said "no," would you want to hire Jimbo, Miles or Brown just because they had a title?
    I would probably say "Yes" to Jimbo but no to all the others. Jimbo can coach. He has amazing resources at hand at TAMU and would have similar resources at Bama. He can recruit, he knows the state of Alabama well from his 10+ years at Samford & Awburn, and will be uber successful.

  7. #7
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    10,755

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Off the top of my head

    1 saban
    2. Dabo
    3. Peterson
    4. Jimbo
    5. Riley
    6. Mullen
    7. Gus
    8. Kirby
    9. Pruitt
    10. Neal Brown

  8. #8
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    11,621

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaNation View Post
    I would probably say "Yes" to Jimbo but no to all the others. Jimbo can coach. He has amazing resources at hand at TAMU and would have similar resources at Bama. He can recruit, he knows the state of Alabama well from his 10+ years at Samford & Awburn, and will be uber successful.
    Yeah, of the guys who have won one NC, he's the only one I'd feel comfortable with, but for me he wouldn't be an automatic "yes." If JP has a few good years at UT I'd pick him over any of those guys but that's probably because I like him more than Jimbo.

  9. #9
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    11,621

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Off the top of my head

    1 saban
    2. Dabo
    3. Peterson
    4. Jimbo
    5. Riley
    6. Mullen
    7. Gus
    8. Kirby
    9. Pruitt
    10. Neal Brown
    Gus? Really?

    Like your list, otherwise.

  10. #10
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    10,755

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Gus? Really?

    Like your list, otherwise.
    Honestly Gus is a pretty good coach. I think his annoying personality and his offensive style has clouded his overall coaching abilities amongst Alabama fans. Since he has came to Auburn he is one of 3 coaches that has beaten Alabama twice in a minimum of 4 games, and he has won 2 SECW titles along with one SEC title. If we are talking NOW, I really donít know how he isnít on a top 10 list.

    As for me putting him ahead of Kirby I really think itís more that I favor a guy who achieve me more with less than one that achieve less with more.

  11. #11
    Super Moderator RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    39,015

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Honestly Gus is a pretty good coach. I think his annoying personality and his offensive style has clouded his overall coaching abilities amongst Alabama fans. Since he has came to Auburn he is one of 3 coaches that has beaten Alabama twice in a minimum of 4 games, and he has won 2 SECW titles along with one SEC title. If we are talking NOW, I really donít know how he isnít on a top 10 list.

    As for me putting him ahead of Kirby I really think itís more that I favor a guy who achieve me more with less than one that achieve less with more.
    He also averages five losses a season over the last five seasons. Took him two of the most unbelievable plays to not have 3+ losses in 2013, too.

    Hear about it pretty much every week on sports radio in Montgomery.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

    "We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

  12. #12
    Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator
    BamaNation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    11,279

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Pruitt has to prove himself over the long term before he's even in the top 50 IMHO. He can get there but it's a long haul with lots of coaching & recruiting scenarios to come. Even if he were to win 10+ this year, let's see what he does over the next 5-10 years before we put him at the top or proclaim him heir apparent!

    Also, the premise was "... if we had to hire a coach right now and Dabo said "no"

    Also part 2: I think the Alabama job is now a more CEO-like position. To me, that necessarily knocks out guys who have on-field success but haven't proven they can handle the off-field requirements. I keep reflecting back to Dubose. I think he could have been capable of the on-field stuff but failed miserably checking all the boxes necessary for off-the-field ... including high personal morals.
    Last edited by BamaNation; April 30th, 2019 at 09:05 AM.

  13. #13
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    11,621

    Re: What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

    Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    He also averages five losses a season over the last five seasons. Took him two of the most unbelievable plays to not have 3+ losses in 2013, too.

    Hear about it pretty much every week on sports radio in Montgomery.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep, he's ridden his "offensive genius" rep far beyond its reality with his 3-5 basic plays.

    But the proof is in the pudding and he just loses way too many games.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear

2019 NFL Draft Gear