What's your top 10 list of active college football coaches?

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
Crimson 1967 got me to thinking. With Les Miles and Mack Brown back on the sideline, that now makes five active coaches that have won national championships, the others being Coach Saban, Dabo and Jimbo Fisher.

What's your top 10 list look like? Does it have Lincoln Riley, Brian Kelly, Tom Herman, David Shaw, Kirby Smart, Chris Petersen, Mark Dantonio, James Franklin, Harbaugh? Does the last coach to beat Coach Saban other than Dabo make your list? That would be Gus Malzahn.

What about the coaches that seem to do more with less: Pat Fitzgerald, David Cutcliffe, Bill Snyder?

What's your top 10 list look like?

Last edited:

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
  1. Nick Saban
  2. Dabo Swinney
  3. Lincoln Riley
  4. Chris Peterson
  5. Kirby Smart
  6. James Franklin
  7. Jimbo Fisher
  8. David Shaw
  9. Gary Patterson
  10. Dan Mullen

One could argue (I would) that 3-10 really don't matter and any of these (and 20 others) could be at any one of those spots.

The top two, IMHO, are far and away the best - in coaching, in getting assistant coaches who understand and can execute their plans and systems, in recruiting, in "coach'in 'em up", in preparation, in leadership, and in all the off-field things that are necessary to be a successful D1 coach (I don't use the term FBS).

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Agree with all but Franklin...jury's still out for me on him...Telling his coaches that they need hot wives still isn't sitting well here...
  1. Nick Saban
  2. Dabo Swinney
  3. Lincoln Riley
  4. Chris Peterson
  5. Kirby Smart
  6. James Franklin
  7. Jimbo Fisher
  8. David Shaw
  9. Gary Patterson
  10. Dan Mullen

One could argue (I would) that 3-10 really don't matter and any of these (and 20 others) could be at any one of those spots.

The top two, IMHO, are far and away the best - in coaching, in getting assistant coaches who understand and can execute their plans and systems, in recruiting, in "coach'in 'em up", in preparation, in leadership, and in all the off-field things that are necessary to be a successful D1 coach (I don't use the term FBS).

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
In the other thread I said it was CNS and Dabo and then everybody else, including Jimbo and the other guys who have won one title.

Let's be real, if we had to hire a coach right now and Dabo said "no," would you want to hire Jimbo, Miles or Brown just because they had a title?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In the other thread I said it was CNS and Dabo and then everybody else, including Jimbo and the other guys who have won one title.

Let's be real, if we had to hire a coach right now and Dabo said "no," would you want to hire Jimbo, Miles or Brown just because they had a title?
No, I'd insist on Gene Chizik.......what coach knows more about beating Auburn....??????

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

I would probably say "Yes" to Jimbo but no to all the others. Jimbo can coach. He has amazing resources at hand at TAMU and would have similar resources at Bama. He can recruit, he knows the state of Alabama well from his 10+ years at Samford & Awburn, and will be uber successful.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Off the top of my head

1 saban
2. Dabo
3. Peterson
4. Jimbo
5. Riley
6. Mullen
7. Gus
8. Kirby
9. Pruitt
10. Neal Brown

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I would probably say "Yes" to Jimbo but no to all the others. Jimbo can coach. He has amazing resources at hand at TAMU and would have similar resources at Bama. He can recruit, he knows the state of Alabama well from his 10+ years at Samford & Awburn, and will be uber successful.
Yeah, of the guys who have won one NC, he's the only one I'd feel comfortable with, but for me he wouldn't be an automatic "yes." If JP has a few good years at UT I'd pick him over any of those guys but that's probably because I like him more than Jimbo.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Gus? Really?

Like your list, otherwise.
Honestly Gus is a pretty good coach. I think his annoying personality and his offensive style has clouded his overall coaching abilities amongst Alabama fans. Since he has came to Auburn he is one of 3 coaches that has beaten Alabama twice in a minimum of 4 games, and he has won 2 SECW titles along with one SEC title. If we are talking NOW, I really don’t know how he isn’t on a top 10 list.

As for me putting him ahead of Kirby I really think it’s more that I favor a guy who achieve me more with less than one that achieve less with more.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Honestly Gus is a pretty good coach. I think his annoying personality and his offensive style has clouded his overall coaching abilities amongst Alabama fans. Since he has came to Auburn he is one of 3 coaches that has beaten Alabama twice in a minimum of 4 games, and he has won 2 SECW titles along with one SEC title. If we are talking NOW, I really don’t know how he isn’t on a top 10 list.

As for me putting him ahead of Kirby I really think it’s more that I favor a guy who achieve me more with less than one that achieve less with more.
He also averages five losses a season over the last five seasons. Took him two of the most unbelievable plays to not have 3+ losses in 2013, too.

Hear about it pretty much every week on sports radio in Montgomery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Pruitt has to prove himself over the long term before he's even in the top 50 IMHO. He can get there but it's a long haul with lots of coaching & recruiting scenarios to come. Even if he were to win 10+ this year, let's see what he does over the next 5-10 years before we put him at the top or proclaim him heir apparent! ;)

Also, the premise was "... if we had to hire a coach right now and Dabo said "no"

Also part 2: I think the Alabama job is now a more CEO-like position. To me, that necessarily knocks out guys who have on-field success but haven't proven they can handle the off-field requirements. I keep reflecting back to Dubose. I think he could have been capable of the on-field stuff but failed miserably checking all the boxes necessary for off-the-field ... including high personal morals.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
He also averages five losses a season over the last five seasons. Took him two of the most unbelievable plays to not have 3+ losses in 2013, too.

Yep, he's ridden his "offensive genius" rep far beyond its reality with his 3-5 basic plays.

But the proof is in the pudding and he just loses way too many games.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Pruitt has to prove himself over the long term before he's even in the top 50 IMHO. He can get there but it's a long haul with lots of coaching & recruiting scenarios to come. Even if he were to win 10+ this year, let's see what he does over the next 5-10 years before we put him at the top or proclaim him heir apparent! ;)

Also, the premise was "... if we had to hire a coach right now and Dabo said "no"
Well, for sure, I hope it's like 10 years before we find out AND then I hope Dabo won't say "no" and then if he does somebody like JP has proven himself.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Again who are you putting over him?

Shaw and Patterson? Guys that play in far weaker conferences and subdivisions and have still found a way to be irrelevant

Harbaugh? Maybe but harbaugh has done less than Gus in a comparable subdivision

I think Gus is Boom or average, but when he is boom it’s nearly impossible to beat them.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
1. Nick Saban
2. Dabo Swinney
3. Lincoln Riley
4. Jimbo Fisher
5. Kirby Smart
6. Chris Peterson
7. Gary Patterson
8. Dan Mullen
9. Tom Herman
10.David Shaw

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Again who are you putting over him?

Shaw and Patterson? Guys that play in far weaker conferences and subdivisions and have still found a way to be irrelevant

Harbaugh? Maybe but harbaugh has done less than Gus in a comparable subdivision

I think Gus is Boom or average, but when he is boom it’s nearly impossible to beat them.
I get it. When you think about comparing him to a single coach to decide, it becomes harder than just a blanket statement.

Another issue brought up on a consistent basis down here is his lack of player development. With the recruiting classes he has, he should do better than 5 losses a year.

When you say “when he is boom it’s nearly impossible to beat them,” what years are you referencing?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I get it. When you think about comparing him to a single coach to decide, it becomes harder than just a blanket statement.

Another issue brought up on a consistent basis down here is his lack of player development. With the recruiting classes he has, he should do better than 5 losses a year.

When you say “when he is boom it’s nearly impossible to beat them,” what years are you referencing?

13 and 17.

I think Patterson and Shaw are the same thing but they don’t go up against near as big competition as Gus does when they are having their “average” seasons. I just think if you were giving me a choice between 10 possible candidates to fill a new team out of active coaches I would find it difficult not to include Gus amongst them. If we are going to parade around the idea of the SEC being one of the toughest conferences you have to entertain the idea of what if would be like if Gus and Auburn were not in the SEC but in the PAC 12 or wherever and Patterson/TCU, Shaw/Stanford, and whoever were.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I like BN's list. With Miles coaching again, he would make my list. He didn't forget how to coach - he just couldn't get past Saban.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I like BN's list. With Miles coaching again, he would make my list. He didn't forget how to coach - he just couldn't get past Saban.
The funny thing about Les getting fired was, he was doing the exact same things as coach only he was losing the games he had been winning. His quirkiness and boneheaded late game calls were fine when he was winning them. When he started losing them L8U wanted him fired.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.