Tua's status for the 2020 draft - according to NFL Scouts - Page 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Tua's status for the 2020 draft - according to NFL Scouts

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJeff View Post
    The problem is that Bama's season doesn't start until December. There's not going to be a revenge tour - they beat every SEC team they played in 2018.

In 2019 it's beat Clemson and win the title or bust. Anything less will be a disappointment.
    Yea but they have been knocked by media and fans a lot because of how that loss went. Think Patriots. They always have a chip on their shoulder even though they continue to win Super Bowls. Little things like bounty gate and deflate gate added to that chip or at least that's the perception.

I agree its championship or bust but I just think there may be a little chip on this teams shoulder that wasn't there last season.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    As most of us know the NFL is a completely different game than college. There's been absolute studs in college who were in and out of the NFL quicker than Jameis Winston can pocket some crab legs. From the eye test, Tua's game seems to check a lot of the boxes of what it takes to be a successful NFL quarterback. But it's no guarantee Tua will make it in the NFL. Heck, as the year went on I (an untrained amateur eye) could see flaws in his game on the college level. Those are greatly magnified on the pro level and if not fixed normally is what puts players out of the game quick.
    I agree that some cracks appeared against the better teams, but I also think most of that was between the ears. Call it stubborness or a failure for our offensive coaches to make him check down to those wide open guys running underneath, but I feel better that most of his perceived faults are more mental than physical.

I also think that Tua is the type of player who will take the constructive criticism and turn it into success. He did that at the Elite 11 camp and improved quickly and I think he'll do the same this year, building off of last year.

Think about it like this - of the 12 players mentioned by these extremely early mock drafts, are there any you would be surprised to see go in the first round?

Not all are going because thatís pretty much impossible given the number of draft prospects up for 32 picks. However, they all seem realistic first rounders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I agree that some cracks appeared against the better teams, but I also think most of that was between the ears. Call it stubborness or a failure for our offensive coaches to make him check down to those wide open guys running underneath, but I feel better that most of his perceived faults are more mental than physical.

I also think that Tua is the type of player who will take the constructive criticism and turn it into success. He did that at the Elite 11 camp and improved quickly and I think he'll do the same this year, building off of last year.
    Mental flaws are (many times) harder to fix than mechanical ones. But, I agree, I think Tua is the type who will self critique and fix it.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Think about it like this - of the 12 players mentioned by these extremely early mock drafts, are there any you would be surprised to see go in the first round?

Not all are going because that’s pretty much impossible given the number of draft prospects up for 32 picks. However, they all seem realistic first rounders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed. But a few of those guys are based on projected development. For example, Lewis hasn't really played in 2 years, Moses needs to improve his play from a year ago but clearly has 1st round athleticism, Leatherwood has only played half a game at LT, etc.

That's why I think Tua and Jeudy are the closest thing to "sure things" barring injury. If they could have been drafted this year I'd bet both would have been 1st rounders. Not sure who else you can say that about except for maybe Ruggs.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post

Not all are going because that’s pretty much impossible given the number of draft prospects up for 32 picks. However, they all seem realistic first rounders.
    Yep - having 12 first round quality players on one team is crazy. Having 12 that could go out in one draft has simply never happened before. Alabama really needs to win #18 this year. I hope that the focus and work ethic matches the talent, because no team has ever been this talented.

BamaNation All-American dWarriors88's Avatar

I thought it was interesting they correlated Tua having bad games to getting hit.
    At Some Places They Play Football.
    At Alabama, We LIVE It.

"...Ain't nothin' but a winner."

Quote Originally Posted by dWarriors88 View Post
    I thought it was interesting they correlated Tua having bad games to getting hit.
    We will find out a lot more this year. The assumption by Alabama fans is that Tua played poorly against teams with better defenses because he was injured.

Most analysts are not buying that. They know that he was injured, but they think that it was primarily a result of his difficulty when playing against solid defensive fronts. I guess that they forgot the CFPCG against Georgia, but it really doesn't matter right now. That is the perception. He needs to stay healthy and play better down the stretch this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Yea but they have been knocked by media and fans a lot because of how that loss went. Think Patriots. They always have a chip on their shoulder even though they continue to win Super Bowls. Little things like bounty gate and deflate gate added to that chip or at least that's the perception.

I agree its championship or bust but I just think there may be a little chip on this teams shoulder that wasn't there last season.
    Nothing Bama does in the regular season will erase the final game of 2018.
    ----
    B.A. from The University of Alabama (during the Fran/Shula years) so don't question my fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJeff View Post
    Nothing Bama does in the regular season will erase the final game of 2018.
    My wife said it was karma calling for what Tua/Jalen did to GA fans twice in less than a year.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    We will find out a lot more this year. The assumption by Alabama fans is that Tua played poorly against teams with better defenses because he was injured.

Most analysts are not buying that. They know that he was injured, but they think that it was primarily a result of his difficulty when playing against solid defensive fronts. I guess that they forgot the CFPCG against Georgia, but it really doesn't matter right now. That is the perception. He needs to stay healthy and play better down the stretch this year.
    And I think the biggest thing is Tua has to make the adjustment to not try the hero throw as much. Taking what the defense gives us will probably be enough for him to be in the Heisman hunt again next year. He'll get his chances to take the shots, but the standard pitch and catch will work just fine with the Juedy, Ruggs and Smith firm.

I may be oversimplifying things, but I think that along with being better at confirming his pre-snap reads with post-snap reads will make all the difference in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    My wife said it was karma calling for what Tua/Jalen did to GA fans twice in less than a year.
    That's gonna bother them all their lives.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    That's gonna bother them all their lives.
    I work with some UGA fans. They said if Mac Jones beats them this year, they will quit watch college ball.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll