Tua's status for the 2020 draft - according to NFL Scouts

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm lost. Was there a Bama player other than Gilmer selected as the #1 NFL draft pick?
Acknowledging Harry Gilmer as a #1 pick is the same as acknowledging Joe Namath as the #1 AFL pick. Neither league was really heads and shoulders over the other and it wasn’t until the merger that the NFL became the NFL. It’s why many non Packers, Bears, and Browns fans will never let them hold mythical championships over everyone’s heads.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Acknowledging Harry Gilmer as a #1 pick is the same as acknowledging Joe Namath as the #1 AFL pick. Neither league was really heads and shoulders over the other and it wasn’t until the merger that the NFL became the NFL. It’s why many non Packers, Bears, and Browns fans will never let them hold mythical championships over everyone’s heads.
Namath would have been the #1 pick if the drafts were combined that year.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
We cant just enjoy the successes of the 2019 draft class we have to go on to the 2020 draft class which, by some accounts, includes up to 12 Alabama players drafted in the first round.

That’s crazy talk. Five max and more likely three.
I looked at a 2020 mock draft and saw 8 Bama players in Round 1. I thought that was silly and must be an aberration, so I looked at another mock. It had 9 Bama players in Round 1. :cool2: I then decided to just wait and see. Lol, it would be huge for the school and program, but it's probably in the range of 0.25-1% likely to happen, if that.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Tua was rated by many as the #1 player in the 2020 draft after watching only a half of competitive football in January 2018.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Before we announce he’s the second coming of Joe Montana, let’s see how he adjust to a new OC and having a whole years worth of tape plus an ugly loss on him. Do I believe he will rise to the occasion, absolutely but we have a new season ahead of us.

I’m just hoping he goes to a good organization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Before we announce he’s the second coming of Joe Montana, let’s see how he adjust to a new OC and having a whole years worth of tape plus an ugly loss on him. Do I believe he will rise to the occasion, absolutely but we have a new season ahead of us.

I remember when Brodie Croyle started some for Kansas City and got abused. Not comparing Brodie to Tua, but in terms of arm talent, Brodie had it, but if a QB doesn't have time his arm talent really doesn't matter.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

The second coming of Joe Montana is already playing and still winning Super Bowls in his 40’s.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Technically, shouldn't we say Joe Montana was the first coming of Tom Brady. He's the GOAT.
It really depends on what you believe the GOAT is... I know several who believe Manning and Marino are better than Brady and Montana. They have some solid arguments even though I’m not sure I can agree with. But I think if you have Montana and Brady too far out of your top 5 then it shows a large degree of bias.

But fwiw I think Brady is the GOAT

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
It really depends on what you believe the GOAT is... I know several who believe Manning and Marino are better than Brady and Montana. They have some solid arguments even though I’m not sure I can agree with. But I think if you have Montana and Brady too far out of your top 5 then it shows a large degree of bias.

But fwiw I think Brady is the GOAT
Brady is the GOAT but I'll still argue to this day Manning is the GOAT regular season QB.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Something will have to go wrong badly for Tua to not be a Top 3-5 Pick in the 2020 Draft.

I mean look I get that the last time everyone saw Tua play we were beaten badly on the scoreboard.

Most say that Tua played a poor game because of the 2 INT's. But he wasn't awful.... he was 22 for 34 for 295 yards 2 TD's and 2INT's and a QB rating of 145.2.

It wasn't his best night, no.... but he didn't stop being an Elite QB because of that one night.

I know no one seems to be cutting him any slack for playing the last half of the season hurt/injured. I thought it he showed toughness to keep gutting it out.

I mean some are even insinuating that he's 'soft/fragile'?? He played almost the entire UGA game with the same injury that shelved Jalen immediately and for weeks afterwards.

What has changed for people's opinions to go from 'He's the best college QB I've ever seen' to ' Man I'm not sure he's got what it takes to make in the NFL'???????

Good Grief.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's a "what have you done for me lately world." His last game was not his best.

It's just like when CNS occasionally loses a game and the pundits start saying he's gonna retire.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
It's a "what have you done for me lately world." His last game was not his best.

It's just like when CNS occasionally loses a game and the pundits start saying he's gonna retire.
I know and it doesn't bother me from outsiders but it really rubs me wrong when many Alabama fans are echoing the criticisms.

Tua set the NCAA record for QB rating in his 1st year even starting and people are picking him apart and trying illuminate holes in his game that he's gotta fix or else.

He's not perfect.... and yes there are some things he needs to work on like all developing players.

He's still the Best College QB I've ever seen...... I'm just one fan.... but I've got his back.

The kid has played his GUTS out for Alabama and while we didn't win this past year's NC we also 100% wouldn't have won the 2017 Title w/o Tua either.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I know and it doesn't bother me from outsiders but it really rubs me wrong when many Alabama fans are echoing the criticisms.

Tua set the NCAA record for QB rating in his 1st year even starting and people are picking him apart and trying illuminate holes in his game that he's gotta fix or else.

He's not perfect.... and yes there are some things he needs to work on like all developing players.

He's still the Best College QB I've ever seen...... I'm just one fan.... but I've got his back.

The kid has played his GUTS out for Alabama and while we didn't win this past year's NC we also 100% wouldn't have won the 2017 Title w/o Tua either.
He deserved the Heisman last year, period. No one will ever convince me otherwise.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
He deserved the Heisman last year, period. No one will ever convince me otherwise.
He would have won it any other year. I'm still torn on it. He clearly faced better teams but Murray had an incredible season as well and wasn't a product of facing bad defenses.

If he had stayed healthy Tua probably wins it IMO. Georgia game really cost him.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
He would have won it any other year. I'm still torn on it. He clearly faced better teams but Murray had an incredible season as well and wasn't a product of facing bad defenses.

If he had stayed healthy Tua probably wins it IMO. Georgia game really cost him.
That's what burns me up about it. Tua wasn't healthy because he faced vastly superior defenses than Murray did. If Murray could have played the exact same schedule, his numbers would have suffered. I'm not suggesting he doesn't still have a stellar season, but he's not putting up those kinds of numbers against SEC defense for an entire season. He also likely suffers injury and probably doesn't finish the season to be frank about it. This will prove itself out in the NFL, and that's why it was ludicrous for him to go #1 overall, but it was also ludicrous for the Cardinals to hire a losing coach from the college ranks.

What he did against LSU, on one leg, should have won it. What Murray did against what amounts to glorified manikins is simply not as impressive***.

***And yes I am fully aware of what he did to our defense in the second half of the Orange Bowl. Despite the numbers over the course of the season, I do not think Alabama's defense was one of the better units in the SEC at all, especially by the end of the year.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.