Tua's status for the 2020 draft - according to NFL Scouts

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I thought it was interesting they correlated Tua having bad games to getting hit.
We will find out a lot more this year. The assumption by Alabama fans is that Tua played poorly against teams with better defenses because he was injured.

Most analysts are not buying that. They know that he was injured, but they think that it was primarily a result of his difficulty when playing against solid defensive fronts. I guess that they forgot the CFPCG against Georgia, but it really doesn't matter right now. That is the perception. He needs to stay healthy and play better down the stretch this year.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Yea but they have been knocked by media and fans a lot because of how that loss went. Think Patriots. They always have a chip on their shoulder even though they continue to win Super Bowls. Little things like bounty gate and deflate gate added to that chip or at least that's the perception.

I agree its championship or bust but I just think there may be a little chip on this teams shoulder that wasn't there last season.
Nothing Bama does in the regular season will erase the final game of 2018.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We will find out a lot more this year. The assumption by Alabama fans is that Tua played poorly against teams with better defenses because he was injured.

Most analysts are not buying that. They know that he was injured, but they think that it was primarily a result of his difficulty when playing against solid defensive fronts. I guess that they forgot the CFPCG against Georgia, but it really doesn't matter right now. That is the perception. He needs to stay healthy and play better down the stretch this year.
And I think the biggest thing is Tua has to make the adjustment to not try the hero throw as much. Taking what the defense gives us will probably be enough for him to be in the Heisman hunt again next year. He'll get his chances to take the shots, but the standard pitch and catch will work just fine with the Juedy, Ruggs and Smith firm.

I may be oversimplifying things, but I think that along with being better at confirming his pre-snap reads with post-snap reads will make all the difference in 2019.

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
Yep - having 12 first round quality players on one team is crazy. Having 12 that could go out in one draft has simply never happened before. Alabama really needs to win #18 this year. I hope that the focus and work ethic matches the talent, because no team has ever been this talented.
way too early way too optimistic.

I am not even sure Tua is going to be drafted in 1st round. Lot more progress to be accomplished and injuries can completely change a player.

BamaFanatJSU

1st Team
Apr 24, 2008
Rainbow City, AL
I am not even sure Tua is going to be drafted in 1st round. Lot more progress to be accomplished and injuries can completely change a player.
Of course, injuries can derail any career, but multiple people in this thread keep saying this same thing, and honestly, it's just fans trying to be (falsely) modest. Seriously, I just watched Daniel Jones - whom I'd never even heard of prior to the Combine - get drafted at #6. If his skillset is what it takes to get drafted in the Top 10 as a QB, then it will take an absolute act of God to keep Tua out of the Top 3, if not #1 overall.

Let's get real: Tua is the most developed pure passer that has played college football in at least the last decade, and as long as he's remotely healthy, a half dozen NFL teams will be willing to pay a king's ransom to get him. And Trevor Lawrence will be a year behind him in exactly the same boat.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Of course, injuries can derail any career, but multiple people in this thread keep saying this same thing, and honestly, it's just fans trying to be (falsely) modest. Seriously, I just watched Daniel Jones - whom I'd never even heard of prior to the Combine - get drafted at #6. If his skillset is what it takes to get drafted in the Top 10 as a QB, then it will take an absolute act of God to keep Tua out of the Top 3, if not #1 overall.

Let's get real: Tua is the most developed pure passer that has played college football in at least the last decade, and as long as he's remotely healthy, a half dozen NFL teams will be willing to pay a king's ransom to get him. And Trevor Lawrence will be a year behind him in exactly the same boat.
I think its fair to question how early in the 1st Tua will go (barring injury) but I agree with you that people who think Tua isn't going round one are off. If he produces similarly to last year he's going round 1. When in round one and will any QBs go ahead of him are more valid questions.

But, i've been wrong before.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
For Tua to be top 5 picks, He has to continue to do what he does best with showing improvement in his reading coverages on the field, making the progressions from left to right, and knowing when to check down to RB or TE. I think his biggest test are in November/ December.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Tua’s biggest issue is he seems fragile. He was hurt early and often last year. If he goes through the season uninjured he may be Bama’s first number one draft pick. If he gets hurt as often as last year, I look for second round. The arm and head are solid.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Tua’s biggest issue is he seems fragile. He was hurt early and often last year. If he goes through the season uninjured he may be Bama’s first number one draft pick. If he gets hurt as often as last year, I look for second round. The arm and head are solid.
Bama has had a #1 NFL draft pick. He was a QB too.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Yeah it’s geewhiz knowledge that very few people bother to care about. I think everyone knew in what context the poster was referring to
There is a reason no one pays attention to AFL or NFL championships before the merger. The Super Bowl is all that matters.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.