Tua's status for the 2020 draft - according to NFL Scouts

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
al.com said:
... Kurt Warner, a Hall of Fame quarterback and former Super Bowl MVP, likes Tagovailoa’s accuracy, decision making and lack of turnovers.

“But they’re so talented that sometimes you have to take it with a grain of salt and go, OK, you watch some of those games when he struggled a little bit and you go, why did he struggle? He’s getting hit,” Warner said. “Things weren’t perfect around him and he started to struggle a little bit. You start to weigh that. But what we’ve seen in two years of playing and the level of consistency he’s had, the accuracy that he’s shown, I’m really excited to see how he progresses for another year and then what he can do at this level.”

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/...hink-of-tua-tagovailoa-in-2020-nfl-draft.html

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I have a feeling Tua and this team will be on a little bit of a revenge tour this season. I'm looking forward to it

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
We cant just enjoy the successes of the 2019 draft class we have to go on to the 2020 draft class which, by some accounts, includes up to 12 Alabama players drafted in the first round.

That’s crazy talk. Five max and more likely three.

Last edited:

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
We cant just enjoy the successes of the 2019 draft class we have to go on to the 2020 draft class which, by some accounts, includes up to 12 Alabama players drafted in the first round.

Read that article and pretty much agree with you. However, all those guys are really good and that's just the guys that are draft eligible. From that, I extrapolate that we have a chance to have a pretty good team if we get our special teams contributing.

As crazy as it sounds, Tua has something to prove in 2019.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Yea 12 is just dumb. I think the only first round locks(or at least as close as you can be to a lock at this point) are Tua and Jeudy. The rest all need to have good to great seasons.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Yea 12 is just dumb. I think the only first round locks(or at least as close as you can be to a lock at this point) are Tua and Jeudy. The rest all need to have good to great seasons.
There are always guys that slip down the draft board for no reason. Sometimes nfl teams over reach (which we saw a lot of this year) and it makes guys get picked later than they would by any rational thought. After what I saw this year, I would not even say Tua and Jeudy are a guarantee.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
There are always guys that slip down the draft board for no reason. Sometimes nfl teams over reach (which we saw a lot of this year) and it makes guys get picked later than they would by any rational thought. After what I saw this year, I would not even say Tua and Jeudy are a guarantee.
Yea I agree. That's why i said as close to locks as possible at this point. Things always change especially with injuries and such.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Tua would have to regress remarkably to fall out of the first round IMO (or have a serious injury). If he has anything close to the same production/numbers he had last year he's a lock to be a top 3 pick. Again, my opinion and I don't claim to understand the NFL draft.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yeah its way too early. The only thing I think is a guarantee is that we'll have at least 10 drafted for the 4 consecutive year. Which is amazing in and of itself.

The season has to be played out. If we play up to potential, it will be a season for the ages, and the draft will reflect that.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
As most of us know the NFL is a completely different game than college. There's been absolute studs in college who were in and out of the NFL quicker than Jameis Winston can pocket some crab legs. From the eye test, Tua's game seems to check a lot of the boxes of what it takes to be a successful NFL quarterback. But it's no guarantee Tua will make it in the NFL. Heck, as the year went on I (an untrained amateur eye) could see flaws in his game on the college level. Those are greatly magnified on the pro level and if not fixed normally is what puts players out of the game quick.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I have a feeling Tua and this team will be on a little bit of a revenge tour this season. I'm looking forward to it
The problem is that Bama's season doesn't start until December. There's not going to be a revenge tour - they beat every SEC team they played in 2018.

In 2019 it's beat Clemson and win the title or bust. Anything less will be a disappointment.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
As most of us know the NFL is a completely different game than college. There's been absolute studs in college who were in and out of the NFL quicker than Jameis Winston can pocket some crab legs. From the eye test, Tua's game seems to check a lot of the boxes of what it takes to be a successful NFL quarterback. But it's no guarantee Tua will make it in the NFL. Heck, as the year went on I (an untrained amateur eye) could see flaws in his game on the college level. Those are greatly magnified on the pro level and if not fixed normally is what puts players out of the game quick.
Yea I don't think anyone is a guarantee in the NFL.

However, Tua excels at the things that are most predictive of NFL success for QBs. Accuracy to all areas of the field, ability to quickly process information, and success from a clean pocket.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The problem is that Bama's season doesn't start until December. There's not going to be a revenge tour - they beat every SEC team they played in 2018.

In 2019 it's beat Clemson and win the title or bust. Anything less will be a disappointment.
Yea but they have been knocked by media and fans a lot because of how that loss went. Think Patriots. They always have a chip on their shoulder even though they continue to win Super Bowls. Little things like bounty gate and deflate gate added to that chip or at least that's the perception.

I agree its championship or bust but I just think there may be a little chip on this teams shoulder that wasn't there last season.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I agree that some cracks appeared against the better teams, but I also think most of that was between the ears. Call it stubborness or a failure for our offensive coaches to make him check down to those wide open guys running underneath, but I feel better that most of his perceived faults are more mental than physical.

I also think that Tua is the type of player who will take the constructive criticism and turn it into success. He did that at the Elite 11 camp and improved quickly and I think he'll do the same this year, building off of last year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Think about it like this - of the 12 players mentioned by these extremely early mock drafts, are there any you would be surprised to see go in the first round?

Not all are going because that’s pretty much impossible given the number of draft prospects up for 32 picks. However, they all seem realistic first rounders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I agree that some cracks appeared against the better teams, but I also think most of that was between the ears. Call it stubborness or a failure for our offensive coaches to make him check down to those wide open guys running underneath, but I feel better that most of his perceived faults are more mental than physical.

I also think that Tua is the type of player who will take the constructive criticism and turn it into success. He did that at the Elite 11 camp and improved quickly and I think he'll do the same this year, building off of last year.
Mental flaws are (many times) harder to fix than mechanical ones. But, I agree, I think Tua is the type who will self critique and fix it.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Think about it like this - of the 12 players mentioned by these extremely early mock drafts, are there any you would be surprised to see go in the first round?

Not all are going because that’s pretty much impossible given the number of draft prospects up for 32 picks. However, they all seem realistic first rounders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. But a few of those guys are based on projected development. For example, Lewis hasn't really played in 2 years, Moses needs to improve his play from a year ago but clearly has 1st round athleticism, Leatherwood has only played half a game at LT, etc.

That's why I think Tua and Jeudy are the closest thing to "sure things" barring injury. If they could have been drafted this year I'd bet both would have been 1st rounders. Not sure who else you can say that about except for maybe Ruggs.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Yep - having 12 first round quality players on one team is crazy. Having 12 that could go out in one draft has simply never happened before. Alabama really needs to win #18 this year. I hope that the focus and work ethic matches the talent, because no team has ever been this talented.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.