Question: International Sim Card Reality vs. Advertising

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Mrs. Basket Case and I are going to France later this spring.

I have an old iPhone 6, and my carrier is Verizon. Historically, I've gotten the Verizon plan, but I'm hearing about international sim cards that can be purchased at kiosks in major airports. We fly into CDG, so it certainly qualifies as a major airport.

Looks like for about $50-$70 I can get a sim card that is both significantly better, and less expensive, than the Verizon plan. But I'm concerned about "gotchas."

As in, I get over to France, have a problem with the sim card, and have no service because I'm over there with neither a Verizon plan, nor a functioning international card. Long story short, that would be a major problem.

Or, there's something I have to do besides simply switch out the cards, and my limited technological abilities are insufficient to solve the problem.

So here are my questions:
-- Is an international sim card really as simple as taking the old one out and putting the new one in? Is it truly plug and play, or is there something else you have to do to access the card's functionality?
-- If there is something else I need to do, what is it? I still have a bit of time.
-- Am I better off just punting on the international card, paying the higher Verizon charge, and remember that in the context of the trip itself, the difference just isn't material?

Thanks for any thoughts / experience!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.