Is this the year Ben Davis “breaks out?”

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I've never known a player perpetually buried so deep on the depth chart to garner so much constant comment...
To play devil's advocate, has such a highly rated player ever been so perpetually buried so deep on the depth chart? Plus, being a "legacy" and pretty much "hometown" product?

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
There always will be a couple of 5 star misses or folks beat out in competition.

Bama Five stars that have struggled to make an impact:
1. Ben Davis
2. Mac Tyler (even though he never really made it here)
3. Eddie Williams (discipline issues)
4. Kendall Sheffield (transferred)
5. Blake Barnett (transferred)
6. Tyler Love
7. Phillip Simms (transferred)
8. B.J. Scott

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
To play devil's advocate, has such a highly rated player ever been so perpetually buried so deep on the depth chart? Plus, being a "legacy" and pretty much "hometown" product?
It has definitely happened before. I'm not sure about the legacy part, but we've had highly rated players that just never could break through. It happens. As long as he gets his education and is able to go on to lead a productive life, he has nothing to be ashamed of, IMO.

Bamaatthebeach

1st Team
Feb 27, 2019
Myrtle Beach, SC, USA
Tyler Love, yes, I was just trying to remember his name. I think some of the others on the list, like Sheffield, didn't excel here but did at least adequately at other schools. Love was at Bama all four years IIRC.

Eddie Williams is probably still in prison.

There always will be a couple of 5 star misses or folks beat out in competition.

1. Ben Davis
6. Tyler Love
8. B.J. Scott

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

1. Ben Davis
6. Tyler Love
8. B.J. Scott
Some our our older posters will remember Hardy Walker who signed with Bama in the early '80's out of Huntsville. He was a big OL who was the #1 player in Alabama and HS Parade All-American. I don't think he ever stepped foot on the field. Tragically he died of a heart attack about 5 years ago while doing yard work.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
It's been a while since we've had a thread about a player who barely contributed at Alabama. Is it because he is a legacy? All I know is that, Ben's last chance to see significant playing time is now. he has to step it up this summer and in fall camp. Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen. We have far much better talent in front of him, and I don't know where he is with degree wise, but if he is scheduled to graduate in August, then he would be better off seeking opportunities elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a good kid who is talented football player. I just think that maybe he would do well at other school. Bama isn't for everyone.. doesn't mean they aren't talented. I hope I said it right. I believe in this kid, and I pray he find a way to contribute on the team, whether it's on special team, mop-up duty, etc... as long he show progress, I'll be okay with it.. but we'll see where he is in few months.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa

1. Ben Davis
6. Tyler Love
8. B.J. Scott
Didn't B.J. Scott transfer to USA?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Rodney Orr is on JOX's Three Man Front and said he has heard Ben had a real good summer and has had three good days of practice. He said it is a long way to go but it is possible Ben is turning the corner. I guess we will know soon.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Rodney Orr is on JOX's Three Man Front and said he has heard Ben had a real good summer and has had three good days of practice. He said it is a long way to go but it is possible Ben is turning the corner. I guess we will know soon.
Better Nate than Lever :D

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Praise the Lord! If he can keep improving, he will contribute this fall.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.