Is this the year Ben Davis “breaks out?”

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
iirc, tana had a nice goal line stop vs lsu his senior year.
Forced a fumble, in fact. But I was wrong about it being a championship year. It was 2013, apparently. Still, important plays in important games. I'll hold out hope for Ben until he graduates. You never know when your opportunity will knock.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
It would be highly unusual for a player to do essentially nothing, not even special teams for three years, then to make a meaningful contribution in his fourth.

So I've been a doubter, and am still in the, "show me," camp

Still, I'm rooting for him to prove me wrong.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Sounds like he’s at OLB with the 2s so far in camp. Shocking to hear, but will be excited for him if this continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
It would be highly unusual for a player to do essentially nothing, not even special teams for three years, then to make a meaningful contribution in his fourth.

I'll second that.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

Yea, I dig that. Q Williams went from nobody to first round draft pick in one year so count me in with the optimistic crowd.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yea, I dig that. Q Williams went from nobody to first round draft pick in one year so count me in with the optimistic crowd.
Q was also a redshirt sophomore that had to wait behind first round pick Daron Payne.

People are hesitant about Ben because he hasn’t even cracked the ST rotation, which is the norm for Saban teams.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
not even close to the same. when Q was in second year as RF, he posted 20 tackles as a reserve and was heavy in the rotation, even getting two tackles against UGA in the championship game. Ben Davis, in his entire career so far, has taken less than 5 total snaps.

That said - like others - I'd love for him to make the turn and prove me wrong...

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Q was also a redshirt sophomore that had to wait behind first round pick Daron Payne.

People are hesitant about Ben because he hasn’t even cracked the ST rotation, which is the norm for Saban teams.

My point is that guys can and do turn it around. He is still young and physically gifted. Sometimes there really is a mental switch that can flip for whatever reason and I am optimistic Ben can play a role on the D this year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
My point is that guys can and do turn it around. He is still young and physically gifted. Sometimes there really is a mental switch that can flip for whatever reason and I am optimistic Ben can play a role on the D this year.
I don't think anyone is disputing that. Ben and Q are not even close to being equal situations, though.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Rodney Orr is on JOX's Three Man Front and said he has heard Ben had a real good summer and has had three good days of practice. He said it is a long way to go but it is possible Ben is turning the corner. I guess we will know soon.
Man, that would be the feel good story of the year! He`s put in the time, showed the dedication ( I suppose ). I think that`s why everybody is and should be pulling for him. Contribute, letter as an Alabama football player and get his degree. Not bad. Not bad at all.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I don't think anyone is disputing that. Ben and Q are not even close to being equal situations, though.
Agreed. But if Q can go from promising recruit to top 5 pick in the draft then Ben can certainly go from scout team to key contributor in the LB rotation. At least, that is my optimistic perspective.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.