Question: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports?

Celebrate, don't mock...
    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I'm not really pro trash talking but I am ok with some celebrating that others may not be. I've never understood why it has to be directed at others though.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Re: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports?

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Soccer can be pretty brutal
    I watched my niece's HS soccer playoff game last year. One of the teams they played was very physical. The officials "let the kids play" so to speak and ended up just about having a riot in the stands between opposing parents.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Let your play do your talking. Period.

In football, knock 'em on their butt and then help 'em up.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    In football, knock 'em on their butt and then help 'em up.
    I played for a lotta years and never understood this - it takes energy to pull someone else up, just as it takes energy to pick yourself up off your butt. I always let them climb up on their own - that's that much less energy they have in the tank later in the game.

It wasn't about class (or the lack thereof), it was simple biology.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

I've always taught my teams that we have fun, play hard, show respect. I tell them that if they do those three things, everything will fall into place. Throughout the season, I will always expound on the respect part. What does it mean, who is it for, why, when, etc. Show respect to your coaches, to the refs, to your teammates, to yourself and your family. Showing respect is not a sign of weakness. Trash talking shows a lack of respect. You basically set yourself up when you trash talk because, at some point, you're going to get beaten. And look like a fool for the trash talk.
    RTR

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by trenda View Post
    I've always taught my teams that we have fun, play hard, show respect. I tell them that if they do those three things, everything will fall into place. Throughout the season, I will always expound on the respect part. What does it mean, who is it for, why, when, etc. Show respect to your coaches, to the refs, to your teammates, to yourself and your family. Showing respect is not a sign of weakness. Trash talking shows a lack of respect. You basically set yourself up when you trash talk because, at some point, you're going to get beaten. And look like a fool for the trash talk.
    Throughout every society there are cultural shifts that take place. I'm not sure if we're experiencing one now (in general) with sports or not. But I know a lot of the stuff I personally see and is accepted in youth sports today would have been deemed disrespectful when I participated. I know MLB is definitely fighting this right now with the traditional "unwritten rules" of the sport and the influx of younger players who grew up in a sports culture that completely goes against traditional baseball in America. People's definition of "respectful" and "disrespectful" isn't always the same either, so that's another dynamic that comes into play.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I think there's a place for it (within reason) in sports where the goal is to physically dominate the opposing player, such as football and boxing. The mental game is every bit as important as the physical, so if you can get your opponent to make a mistake based on anger, etc., it gives you an advantage.

In non-contact sports such as baseball, basketball, soccer, etc., it's silly. It's akin to young punks running their mouths when they know neither of them are gonna take a swing at the other. "Hold me back, hold me back..."
    I've always thought that your play should do the talking. If you score a touchdown, act like you've been there before. I don't mind a little celebrating, but it should be just that, celebrating, not getting in some guy's going "look what I did".
    I played some college baseball back in the day, and it was pretty common that players from both dugouts would rag on whatever pitcher was on the mound, or whoever was at bat. What our coach really hated was, if you got a big lead on the other team, we had some guys that would really unleash some ridiculous stuff. Coach would always turn around and say shut up, let 'em die. He was always worried someone would say something really stupid that would fire up the other team and cause us to lose.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I played for a lotta years and never understood this - it takes energy to pull someone else up, just as it takes energy to pick yourself up off your butt. I always let them climb up on their own - that's that much less energy they have in the tank later in the game.

It wasn't about class (or the lack thereof), it was simple biology.
    I respect that, but it's not just about being nice. It's also more than the physical strength and stamina you burn. It's psychological! It's akin to: “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.”

BamaNation First Team

Frankly in the NBA, there is less trash talking on the court now than there was in the past. Players get Technical fouls pretty quickly, and more trash talk is done by social media than on the court. Gary Payton and Larry Bird would have not been able to talk their smack.

BamaNation First Team

I'm raising a linemen. He is routinely the biggest kid on the field. I have taught him not to talk trash, however there are points in the game where I have told him or he has taken it upon himself to answer some "trash talk". I did a lot of it as a high-schooler but hardly ever as a kid. We are raising our kids up faster and faster now. Its a generational thing. I don't like it so I have adapted my child rearing to it.

BamaNation All-American CaliforniaTide's Avatar

Personally, I've never liked it, and I've never liked hearing it. I've always let my play answer to the trash talking, and I hope to teach my son the same if/when he starts to learn about playing sports.
    It's the edge of the world
    And all of Western civilization
    The sun may rise in the East
    At least it settles in its final location
    It's understood that Hollywood
    Sells Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers in Californication

Look at that dude go all Dareus on that colt...

BamaNation All-American

Back in the " Dark Ages " ( the 60`s ) when I played I don`t recall too much talking. Certainly, it`s a whole different world on the fields and courts now. Sometimes we even knew some of the guys that played for other HS teams in our county. We were raised differently back then.

BamaNation Second Team CoachInWaiting's Avatar

I know guys who played football at a fairly high level and they all say it is most prevalent in the passing game, mostly with the receivers and DB's. They play very closely with each other throughout the game and some are in each other's ears all the way down the field and back to the line of scrimmage. The big thing with most of that is it is chatter that the fans are unaware of for the most part. The physical demonstrations that occur when a DB makes a break-up of a pass or an INT are much different. The same for the WR who burns a DB and makes a TD and struts in the end zone. That is a more blatant act, but it is often excused as only celebratory. This is true, to an extent, but in baseball if a batter hits a HR and celebrates too much in his trot around the bases or his bat flip, he can expect to wear a Rawlings brand on his ribs on the next AB.
    ​They said Bear Bryant walked on water....Nick Saban swims through land.