Question: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Re: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports?

I played for a lotta years and never understood this - it takes energy to pull someone else up, just as it takes energy to pick yourself up off your butt. I always let them climb up on their own - that's that much less energy they have in the tank later in the game.

It wasn't about class (or the lack thereof), it was simple biology.
I respect that, but it's not just about being nice. It's also more than the physical strength and stamina you burn. It's psychological! It's akin to: “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.”

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
Re: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports?

Frankly in the NBA, there is less trash talking on the court now than there was in the past. Players get Technical fouls pretty quickly, and more trash talk is done by social media than on the court. Gary Payton and Larry Bird would have not been able to talk their smack.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA

I'm raising a linemen. He is routinely the biggest kid on the field. I have taught him not to talk trash, however there are points in the game where I have told him or he has taken it upon himself to answer some "trash talk". I did a lot of it as a high-schooler but hardly ever as a kid. We are raising our kids up faster and faster now. Its a generational thing. I don't like it so I have adapted my child rearing to it.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

Personally, I've never liked it, and I've never liked hearing it. I've always let my play answer to the trash talking, and I hope to teach my son the same if/when he starts to learn about playing sports.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Back in the " Dark Ages " ( the 60`s ) when I played I don`t recall too much talking. Certainly, it`s a whole different world on the fields and courts now. Sometimes we even knew some of the guys that played for other HS teams in our county. We were raised differently back then.

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017

I know guys who played football at a fairly high level and they all say it is most prevalent in the passing game, mostly with the receivers and DB's. They play very closely with each other throughout the game and some are in each other's ears all the way down the field and back to the line of scrimmage. The big thing with most of that is it is chatter that the fans are unaware of for the most part. The physical demonstrations that occur when a DB makes a break-up of a pass or an INT are much different. The same for the WR who burns a DB and makes a TD and struts in the end zone. That is a more blatant act, but it is often excused as only celebratory. This is true, to an extent, but in baseball if a batter hits a HR and celebrates too much in his trot around the bases or his bat flip, he can expect to wear a Rawlings brand on his ribs on the next AB.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I've always thought that your play should do the talking. If you score a touchdown, act like you've been there before. I don't mind a little celebrating, but it should be just that, celebrating, not getting in some guy's going "look what I did".
Oh yah, I get that.

I meant more of what happens between the OL and DL when they're awaiting the snap and such. A little mental aggression can be your friend.

I've never liked showboating and taking shots at people you're clearly better than.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Oh yah, I get that.

I meant more of what happens between the OL and DL when they're awaiting the snap and such. A little mental aggression can be your friend.

I've never liked showboating and taking shots at people you're clearly better than.
Here's the one that absolutely baffles my mind that I see commonly, especially in football. A team is getting the brakes beat off them (like 48-3) and a player on the losing team makes a good play, gets up and starts taunting and trash talking the other team. I've yet to understand why the player feels the inclination to do that when it's obvious he's been getting dominated all game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

In that case, I would approve of this: "Look at the scoreboard."

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011

or you can talk trash like Steve Spurrier did by saying "Kentucky sure does have a real good punter".

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Here's the one that absolutely baffles my mind that I see commonly, especially in football. A team is getting the brakes beat off them (like 48-3) and a player on the losing team makes a good play, gets up and starts taunting and trash talking the other team. I've yet to understand why the player feels the inclination to do that when it's obvious he's been getting dominated all game.
I'll never forget an ATM player doing that when OU was essentially taking a knee somewhere in the 4th quarter of 77-0. ATM player hit the guy then got up strutting around - even his teammates grabbed him like "dude..."

A&M LOL.jpg

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

or you can talk trash like Steve Spurrier did by saying "Kentucky sure does have a real good punter".
There was something about Spurrier's way of trash talking that I actually liked. I guess it was because it was so subtle, yet very cutting. It was like being cut with an extraordinarily sharp blade but not realizing it for a few seconds because it was so sharp. LOL!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

There was something about Spurrier's way of trash talking that I actually liked. I guess it was because it was so subtle, yet very cutting. It was like being cut with an extraordinarily sharp blade but not realizing it for a few seconds because it was so sharp. LOL!
Just admit it... it was because he gave Peyton, Fulmer, and UT so much hell that you liked him.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Just admit it... it was because he gave Peyton, Fulmer, and UT so much hell that you liked him.
LOL! I even laughed *a little* when he'd give it to us. I can't remember which cupcake team Florida had played in which it appeared he was continuing to try to score touchdowns in a game that was LOOOOOOOOOONG out of hand. In the post game press conference he was asked about it and without even batting an eye said something to the effect of "It's not my job to keep us from scoring. That's their job". LOL!

T Bone

1st Team

Bear said......."Act like you have been there before".............seems to be appropriate.........let your actions on the field speak, nothing else matters...........my 2 cents.......roll tide

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008

We played in a local baseball tournament this weekend (3 of my boys) and there was a team from out of town in the 11-12 yr old division that did A LOT of trash talking on and off the field. As the tournament played on you started hearing people talk about it. However, from a lot of people I kept hearing this phrase- "As long as you can back it up" etc.

I guess we're about to see what everyone on here thinks about trash talking. But why (especially in youth sports) do we try so hard to teach our youth respect for an opponent, sportsmanship etc. Yet, turn around and give the okay on behavior that otherwise would be disrespectful and bad sportsmanship, simply because they can "back it up"? Can someone explain that to me? LOL! It's a phrase you will hear a lot of you hang around sports long enough.
“Being able to back it up” is a terrible rationalization for making this ok. It’s not OK and does not belong in youth sports period. You should teach kids how to both win and lose gracefully. True WINNERS can do both.

I have no problem with a team being vocal and engaged in the game. Especially, in baseball where dugouts many times have cheers and chants. As long as it’s respectful and cheering their own team there is nothing wrong with that. But many of the chants now days are directed at the opposing team and disrespectful not to mention poor sportsmanship.

Show excitement. Cheer your team. Stay engaged. But keep it fun and light. It’s sad to see this now days and watch “adults” let it go on.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Look, I'm old school.

Act like you've been to the end zone previously.

Do like John Riggins did and HAND THE BALL to the referee when you score. I can tolerate a simple spike. Incidentally, the spike was invented because so-called All-American boys Frank Gifford and Paul Hornung used to fling the ball into the stands. When they got threatened with $500 fines (which was a huge amount of money in the early 60s), the spike was invented (allegedly) by Homer Jones.

Just a note here: the NFL was not worried about the minimal cost of footballs when they passed that rule. They were terrified of lawsuits resulting from fans fighting over the souvenir, much rarer than a foul ball in MLB.

Trash talking was bad enough when it was only down on the field and we couldn't hear it. Miami, in particular, elevated by bringing it to the pre and post-game press conferences. Now that everyone can stick a microphone via camcorder or I phone into the mix, it's just crazy.

Motivational stuff while play is going on? Fine. Loud ridicule and mockery? Should have no place and - if I had my way - would be a 15-yard penalty in football.

But then again - I'm old.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX

If you do it in baseball, just go ahead and get ready to get plunked the next time you are up at bat.

In football, I never talked back but you could bet your bottom dollar I was trucking him the next play.

In Basketball, its a little more tolerated. But if it was egregious there would be foul on the way

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa

There should be no tolerance of it in sports. Period.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.