Question: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports?

Quote Originally Posted by Krymsonman View Post
    I've always thought that your play should do the talking. If you score a touchdown, act like you've been there before. I don't mind a little celebrating, but it should be just that, celebrating, not getting in some guy's going "look what I did".
    Oh yah, I get that.

I meant more of what happens between the OL and DL when they're awaiting the snap and such. A little mental aggression can be your friend.

I've never liked showboating and taking shots at people you're clearly better than.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Re: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports?

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Oh yah, I get that.

I meant more of what happens between the OL and DL when they're awaiting the snap and such. A little mental aggression can be your friend.

I've never liked showboating and taking shots at people you're clearly better than.
    Here's the one that absolutely baffles my mind that I see commonly, especially in football. A team is getting the brakes beat off them (like 48-3) and a player on the losing team makes a good play, gets up and starts taunting and trash talking the other team. I've yet to understand why the player feels the inclination to do that when it's obvious he's been getting dominated all game.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

In that case, I would approve of this: "Look at the scoreboard."

BamaNation First Team

or you can talk trash like Steve Spurrier did by saying "Kentucky sure does have a real good punter".

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Here's the one that absolutely baffles my mind that I see commonly, especially in football. A team is getting the brakes beat off them (like 48-3) and a player on the losing team makes a good play, gets up and starts taunting and trash talking the other team. I've yet to understand why the player feels the inclination to do that when it's obvious he's been getting dominated all game.
    I'll never forget an ATM player doing that when OU was essentially taking a knee somewhere in the 4th quarter of 77-0. ATM player hit the guy then got up strutting around - even his teammates grabbed him like "dude..."

Name:  A&M LOL.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  47.8 KB
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by FThomas View Post
    or you can talk trash like Steve Spurrier did by saying "Kentucky sure does have a real good punter".
    There was something about Spurrier's way of trash talking that I actually liked. I guess it was because it was so subtle, yet very cutting. It was like being cut with an extraordinarily sharp blade but not realizing it for a few seconds because it was so sharp. LOL!
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

There was something about Spurrier's way of trash talking that I actually liked. I guess it was because it was so subtle, yet very cutting. It was like being cut with an extraordinarily sharp blade but not realizing it for a few seconds because it was so sharp. LOL!
    Just admit it... it was because he gave Peyton, Fulmer, and UT so much hell that you liked him.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Just admit it... it was because he gave Peyton, Fulmer, and UT so much hell that you liked him.
    LOL! I even laughed *a little* when he'd give it to us. I can't remember which cupcake team Florida had played in which it appeared he was continuing to try to score touchdowns in a game that was LOOOOOOOOOONG out of hand. In the post game press conference he was asked about it and without even batting an eye said something to the effect of "It's not my job to keep us from scoring. That's their job". LOL!

Southern Adirondack mountains of upstate NY

Bear said......."Act like you have been there before".............seems to be appropriate.........let your actions on the field speak, nothing else matters...........my 2 cents.......roll tide

BamaNation Hall of Fame Skeeterpop's Avatar

We played in a local baseball tournament this weekend (3 of my boys) and there was a team from out of town in the 11-12 yr old division that did A LOT of trash talking on and off the field. As the tournament played on you started hearing people talk about it. However, from a lot of people I kept hearing this phrase- "As long as you can back it up" etc.

I guess we're about to see what everyone on here thinks about trash talking. But why (especially in youth sports) do we try so hard to teach our youth respect for an opponent, sportsmanship etc. Yet, turn around and give the okay on behavior that otherwise would be disrespectful and bad sportsmanship, simply because they can "back it up"? Can someone explain that to me? LOL! It's a phrase you will hear a lot of you hang around sports long enough.
    ďBeing able to back it upĒ is a terrible rationalization for making this ok. Itís not OK and does not belong in youth sports period. You should teach kids how to both win and lose gracefully. True WINNERS can do both.

I have no problem with a team being vocal and engaged in the game. Especially, in baseball where dugouts many times have cheers and chants. As long as itís respectful and cheering their own team there is nothing wrong with that. But many of the chants now days are directed at the opposing team and disrespectful not to mention poor sportsmanship.

Show excitement. Cheer your team. Stay engaged. But keep it fun and light. Itís sad to see this now days and watch ďadultsĒ let it go on.

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Whatever happens - if it continues to happen - is on the adults after the first time.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Look, I'm old school.

Act like you've been to the end zone previously.

Do like John Riggins did and HAND THE BALL to the referee when you score. I can tolerate a simple spike. Incidentally, the spike was invented because so-called All-American boys Frank Gifford and Paul Hornung used to fling the ball into the stands. When they got threatened with $500 fines (which was a huge amount of money in the early 60s), the spike was invented (allegedly) by Homer Jones.

Just a note here: the NFL was not worried about the minimal cost of footballs when they passed that rule. They were terrified of lawsuits resulting from fans fighting over the souvenir, much rarer than a foul ball in MLB.

Trash talking was bad enough when it was only down on the field and we couldn't hear it. Miami, in particular, elevated by bringing it to the pre and post-game press conferences. Now that everyone can stick a microphone via camcorder or I phone into the mix, it's just crazy.

Motivational stuff while play is going on? Fine. Loud ridicule and mockery? Should have no place and - if I had my way - would be a 15-yard penalty in football.

But then again - I'm old.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation All-American Bama Lee's Avatar

If you do it in baseball, just go ahead and get ready to get plunked the next time you are up at bat.

In football, I never talked back but you could bet your bottom dollar I was trucking him the next play.

In Basketball, its a little more tolerated. But if it was egregious there would be foul on the way
    Ya gotta believe!!!!