Question: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team DogPatch's Avatar

Re: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports?

There should be no tolerance of it in sports. Period.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports?

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    There was something about Spurrier's way of trash talking that I actually liked. I guess it was because it was so subtle, yet very cutting. It was like being cut with an extraordinarily sharp blade but not realizing it for a few seconds because it was so sharp. LOL!
    I don't think of what he did as trash talking. It was more gamesmanship between rivals. Those little digs and insults that make people on your side laugh and people on the rival side bristle.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I played for a lotta years and never understood this - it takes energy to pull someone else up, just as it takes energy to pick yourself up off your butt. I always let them climb up on their own - that's that much less energy they have in the tank later in the game.

It wasn't about class (or the lack thereof), it was simple biology.
    Its ok towards the end of the game if the player has earned respect.

BamaNation Second Team

It’s a symptom of today’s society...but...
    I much prefer the way that it used to be...

...that is..”act like you’ve been there before”

I always felt that if my opponent had to revert to trash-talking, then I was already in his head.

BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar

I don’t like the smack talking especially in HS sports. HS kids are not well equipped to tune it out and with the raging hormones I feel it just leads to cheap shots and dirty play. I really wish HS referees would stop the jawing and make the kids play the game. Make them show their talent (or lack of it) instead of someone goading the star player on the other team into doing something stupid to get thrown out.

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Soccer can be pretty brutal
    You mean those times when a guy gets touched, rolls around like his ankle is broke, gets taken off the field on a stretcher, gets a squirt of water, hops up, runs back on the field and makes a play?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlistarWills View Post
    I don’t like the smack talking especially in HS sports. HS kids are not well equipped to tune it out and with the raging hormones I feel it just leads to cheap shots and dirty play. I really wish HS referees would stop the jawing and make the kids play the game. Make them show their talent (or lack of it) instead of someone goading the star player on the other team into doing something stupid to get thrown out.
    Refs in HS only care about trainwrecks and not fender benders. If you enforce every single instance then you would have a never ending game.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNation View Post
    You mean those times when a guy gets touched, rolls around like his ankle is broke, gets taken off the field on a stretcher, gets a squirt of water, hops up, runs back on the field and makes a play?

Ive actually seen way more cheap shots in HS soccer games than HS football games.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation First Team

Trash talk is just like profanity, used by ignorant people to gain attention to themselves.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Ive actually seen way more cheap shots in HS soccer games than HS football games.
    Well in soccer if the ref doesn’t see it, it might as well of never happened.

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNation View Post

My office recently went to a soccer game here in Atlanta. We were allowed to bring kids, spouses, or friends. One of my coworkers brought her 2 young boys ( 9 and 10). They took an immediate shine to the game, they insisted on buying a soccer ball. The next day they were playing in the yard and one kind of bumped the other and then said “no you are supposed to fall down when I do that”.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    Well in soccer if the ref doesn’t see it, it might as well of never happened.
    I’ve also seen more fan brawls and fights on the field happen in HS soccer boys and girls than I have ever in Hs football.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    We played in a local baseball tournament this weekend (3 of my boys) and there was a team from out of town in the 11-12 yr old division that did A LOT of trash talking on and off the field. As the tournament played on you started hearing people talk about it. However, from a lot of people I kept hearing this phrase- "As long as you can back it up" etc.

I guess we're about to see what everyone on here thinks about trash talking. But why (especially in youth sports) do we try so hard to teach our youth respect for an opponent, sportsmanship etc. Yet, turn around and give the okay on behavior that otherwise would be disrespectful and bad sportsmanship, simply because they can "back it up"? Can someone explain that to me? LOL! It's a phrase you will hear a lot of you hang around sports long enough.
    I'm not sure what you mean by trash talk. In baseball there was usually a lot of chatter like "rag arm" and such but none of it was all that trashy.

I never did the chatter because I was either pitching or playing right field where nobody could hear me anyway.
    Last edited by EnterBama; May 7th, 2019 at 03:38 PM.