Question: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports?

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Re: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports?

Like CPB used to say.........if you got class it's gonna show. IMO, that's what we should we teaching our kids. Still relevant today.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Re: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports?

This definitely belongs in this thread.

This past weekend my 11 yr old played in a state tournament (baseball) and in two of the games, we had to deal with the topic being discussed in this thread.

Game 1- Opposing teams' players hair is literally dyed green and blue, each player has individualized "walk up" music to the plate. Each time one of their players makes a good play, gets a good hit etc., they make taunting gestures toward our players/dugout (i.e. flexing muscles, Clark Kent "superman" thing where they act like they're tearing off shirt to reveal superman suit). Their fans begin to get caught up in the bullcrap and it begins to escalate outside the chain link fence of the baseball field. Our players are also starting to get ticked off as well from junk being said to them by the opposing players. Not one time did the umpire call time out, call the head coaches together and try to stomp it out. Ultimately we beat them, soundly, and all of a sudden the dyed green blue hair wasn't so cool anymore, the walk up music stopped playing and the bush league taunting from the fans and the players stopped.

Game 2- Not quite as bad as the first game but ran into a team with more bush league taunting gestures after almost every successful thing they did. . We lose the game and when the final out was made, a fight almost breaks out between their catcher and our last batter who struck out to end the game. After the last out the loud mouth catcher who'd been chirping the entire game made it a point to say something smart to our batter as he was trying to walk back to the dugout after striking out. My guess our batter had his fill on the chirping the entire game and figured "Well hell, the game's over might as well get my .02 in."

I'm sitting there in the stands watching it and nothing about what I'm seeing is productive, nothing. These are kids, very impressionable kids who will one day be adults. Yet I've sat at these youth league sporting events going on three years now and am seeing more and more of the mess that I've described above. The blame goes on the adults, not the kids. We are teaching our kids to have ZERO respect for their opponents and ultimately other people. Our coach was talking to me about it after the games and said he'd mentioned it a couple of times to the umpires in between innings, without any success. That tells me this type bush league behavior has become accepted as "okay" within youth sports. Yet we wonder why our young people are the way they are...

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.