Question: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Catfish's Avatar

Re: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports?

Little Catfish's baseball team won their first four games and most of the kids were pretty cool about it. There's one kid on the team who trash-talks constantly and I've tried to talk him down a little bit (I'm an assistant coach). The kid is really good and our head coach and his parents don't think it's a big deal, but I think it's a crappy way to conduct yourself. Especially at this level. Well, the fifth game comes along and we got royally crushed. Something like 18-4. He's still trash-talking and I said, "Be quiet. You know we're getting our butts kicked, right?" He said, "But it's fun!" I said, "You're 0 for 3 and the're about to call the game because we're more than ten runs behind. You taunting the other team makes you look dumb." He just stared at me and then started up again.
    "...Defense shut 'em down! Offense make plays! Hey, let's go be champions, boys!"- Greg McElroy

BamaNation First Team

Re: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports?

I am not sure that trash talking is a new phenomena. and what is considered trash talk anyway... is yelling "swing batter" trash talking... is directly quoting a Peanuts comic strip from the 50s/60s saying "you hit like my grandmother" as the batter is at the plate... is that trash talking? Is any of that really new? Was the trash talking back in the Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth days a "sign of the age"; what about "Billy Martin" or Reggie Jackson? I am all for remembering the halcyon days of youth, but with time those memories become a bit blurrier and folks don't always have perfect recall of the trash talking that was utilized and even appeared in children's comic strips (arguably what is considered the most wholesome comic ever).

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Iíve also seen more fan brawls and fights on the field happen in HS soccer boys and girls than I have ever in Hs football.
    I never have gotten why a sport (in which only the goaltender can use their hands) that consist mainly of people running around on the field chasing a soccer ball can result in so many fights. Itís not like football or hockey where you have to play with a mean streak or even basketball where fouls happen because of the contact with your arms/hands.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJama17 View Post
    I never have gotten why a sport (in which only the goaltender can use their hands) that consist mainly of people running around on the field chasing a soccer ball can result in so many fights. Itís not like football or hockey where you have to play with a mean streak or even basketball where fouls happen because of the contact with your arms/hands.
    Because soccer has no real break in the action to cool off. Its basically one huge play that frustrations continue to build. Football has breaks in the violence and is easier to control because everyone is within a 20 yard span mostly. You mention hockey, but its the same issue just with sticks and ice.

But if you want a real sport then try rugby. soccer mixed with football with less protection. A cardiologist and an orthopedic surgeon's worst nightmare
    Last edited by 81usaf92; May 9th, 2019 at 04:23 PM.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Because soccer has no real break in the action to cool off. Its basically one huge play that frustrations continue to build. Football has breaks in the violence and is easier to control because everyone is within a 20 yard span mostly. You mention hockey, but its the same issue just with sticks and ice. But if you want a real sport then try rugby. soccer mixed with football with less protection.
    Yeah I guess I can see that. Also a lot of cheap shots can happen, many times between players who arenít even around the ball, to because of only one ref present. My younger brother used to play soccer and I saw it happen all the time. In foreign countries though the refs can get beaten to death if not killed especially in South America

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Interesting this thread is on the same page as one about one of our players saying he hates Clemson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame colbysullivan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Interesting this thread is on the same page as one about one of our players saying he hates Clemson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You find those two things at all similar?

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by FThomas View Post
    I am not sure that trash talking is a new phenomena. and what is considered trash talk anyway... is yelling "swing batter" trash talking... is directly quoting a Peanuts comic strip from the 50s/60s saying "you hit like my grandmother" as the batter is at the plate... is that trash talking? Is any of that really new? Was the trash talking back in the Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth days a "sign of the age"; what about "Billy Martin" or Reggie Jackson? I am all for remembering the halcyon days of youth, but with time those memories become a bit blurrier and folks don't always have perfect recall of the trash talking that was utilized and even appeared in children's comic strips (arguably what is considered the most wholesome comic ever).
    Trash talking is definitely not new and I don't think anyone is saying that. I'm just wondering why as parents of youth who participate in sports that we are so hell bent on teaching kids sportsmanship and respecting their opponents. That we then turnaround and abruptly insert a caveat saying "Well, as long as you can back it up it is completely okay not to respect your opponents and not to show good sportsmanship."

And yes, what trash talk looks like isn't the same for everyone. That's what makes it so difficult at times in sporting events. When you have people involved nothing is ever simple. But rather, quite complex.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American ccc2259's Avatar

Like CPB used to say.........if you got class it's gonna show. IMO, that's what we should we teaching our kids. Still relevant today.
    "Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n." -- Houston Oiler head coach Bum Phillips, a former player under Coach Bryant