Question: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
(Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports?

We played in a local baseball tournament this weekend (3 of my boys) and there was a team from out of town in the 11-12 yr old division that did A LOT of trash talking on and off the field. As the tournament played on you started hearing people talk about it. However, from a lot of people I kept hearing this phrase- "As long as you can back it up" etc.

I guess we're about to see what everyone on here thinks about trash talking. But why (especially in youth sports) do we try so hard to teach our youth respect for an opponent, sportsmanship etc. Yet, turn around and give the okay on behavior that otherwise would be disrespectful and bad sportsmanship, simply because they can "back it up"? Can someone explain that to me? LOL! It's a phrase you will hear a lot of you hang around sports long enough.

Last edited:

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Re: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports?

My son's 10...I'm coaching spring football. Last Sunday a kid on the other team scored a TD and yelled,

"I broke HER ankles Dad! Look, they're laying there on the field..."

A little while later SHE burned him, badly...I totally, and against my wife's and everyone else's strong pleading, took my shot...He was running by, and I asked him very politely how he could run with no ankles...LOL!!! Sorry, I hate that crap!!! ( and yes, I'm well aware that they're 10-12 year olds, that's why my wife was less than pleased with me....)
We played in a local baseball tournament this weekend (3 of my boys) and there was a team from out of town in the 11-12 yr old division that did A LOT of trash talking on and off the field. As the tournament played on you started hearing people talk about it. However, from a lot of people I kept hearing this phrase- "As long as you can back it up" etc.

I guess we're about to see what everyone on here thinks about trash talking. But why (especially in youth sports) do we try so hard to teach our youth respect for an opponent, sportsmanship etc. Yet, turn around and give the okay on behavior that otherwise would be disrespectful and bad sportsmanship, simply because they can "back it up"? Can someone explain that to me? LOL! It's a phrase you will hear a lot of you hang around sports long enough.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Re: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports?

In baseball I’ve always felt it was kinda stupid and classless. I never got the Goat chatter thing that they taught in nothole. It was more annoying to everyone else more than the batter.

In football, soccer, and basketball I think it’s more okay if it doesn’t cross the line.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

For the discussion, "trash talk" is defined as demeaning or arrogant banter/behavior (verbal or non verbal) directed toward an opponent or team during a game. A team or personal celebration of a home run, touchdown, three point shot etc isn't considered trash talk in this discussion.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Never liked it, never allowed my boys to do it. Humility has been all but lost in our society.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

As for the kids, it is what they have seen and heard on television and/or the internet 24/7 and think is cool. The parents are also to blame in not teaching the ideals of sportsmanship and respect for your opponents. I know this is a "corny", worn out, explanation, but most of us older guys who played sports know that our parents, coaches, and officials would not put up with this kind of behavior. It also may be the result of more children coming from a single parent family. Just a few random thoughts. I hate it that your boys have to put up with this kind of behavior from other children.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

As for the kids, it is what they have seen and heard on television and/or the internet 24/7 and think is cool. The parents are also to blame in not teaching the ideals of sportsmanship and respect for your opponents. I know this is a "corny", worn out, explanation, but most of us older guys who played sports know that our parents, coaches and officials would not put up with kind of behavior. It also may be the result of more children coming from a single parent family. Just a few random thoughts. I hate it that your boys have to put up with this kind of behavior from other children.
There's always been trash talking in sports. Even "back in the day". However, what seems to have changed is, those who are supposedly trying to teach sportsmanship and respect to young athletes, are making an exception under the motto "as long as you can back it up", it's okay.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Hmmm...

Miami Hurricanes
Bad Boyz Detroit Pistons
Oakland Athletics (Stewart, Eck, Canseco, Rickey)
Mike Tyson
John McEnroe
1985 Chicago Bears (esp Otis Wilson)
Georgetown Hoyas of Patrick Ewing era

All prominent teams of the generation of parents (and some grandparents) who watched this stuff on TV.

I'm willing to spot Tyson a tad based on his sport since he was an amateur version of Ali - who wasn't so much disrespecting his opponent as "talking them into the building."

But a lot of them saw it and - if you win - you get away with it.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I think there's a place for it (within reason) in sports where the goal is to physically dominate the opposing player, such as football and boxing. The mental game is every bit as important as the physical, so if you can get your opponent to make a mistake based on anger, etc., it gives you an advantage.

In non-contact sports such as baseball, basketball, soccer, etc., it's silly. It's akin to young punks running their mouths when they know neither of them are gonna take a swing at the other. "Hold me back, hold me back..."

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I think there's a place for it (within reason) in sports where the goal is to physically dominate the opposing player, such as football and boxing. The mental game is every bit as important as the physical, so if you can get your opponent to make a mistake based on anger, etc., it gives you an advantage.

In non-contact sports such as baseball, basketball, soccer, etc., it's silly. It's akin to young punks running their mouths when they know neither of them are gonna take a swing at the other. "Hold me back, hold me back..."
Soccer can be pretty brutal

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

I'm not really pro trash talking but I am ok with some celebrating that others may not be. I've never understood why it has to be directed at others though.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.

Celebrate, don't mock...
I'm not really pro trash talking but I am ok with some celebrating that others may not be. I've never understood why it has to be directed at others though.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Soccer can be pretty brutal
I watched my niece's HS soccer playoff game last year. One of the teams they played was very physical. The officials "let the kids play" so to speak and ended up just about having a riot in the stands between opposing parents.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Let your play do your talking. Period.

In football, knock 'em on their butt and then help 'em up.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

In football, knock 'em on their butt and then help 'em up.
I played for a lotta years and never understood this - it takes energy to pull someone else up, just as it takes energy to pick yourself up off your butt. I always let them climb up on their own - that's that much less energy they have in the tank later in the game.

It wasn't about class (or the lack thereof), it was simple biology.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA

I've always taught my teams that we have fun, play hard, show respect. I tell them that if they do those three things, everything will fall into place. Throughout the season, I will always expound on the respect part. What does it mean, who is it for, why, when, etc. Show respect to your coaches, to the refs, to your teammates, to yourself and your family. Showing respect is not a sign of weakness. Trash talking shows a lack of respect. You basically set yourself up when you trash talk because, at some point, you're going to get beaten. And look like a fool for the trash talk.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

I've always taught my teams that we have fun, play hard, show respect. I tell them that if they do those three things, everything will fall into place. Throughout the season, I will always expound on the respect part. What does it mean, who is it for, why, when, etc. Show respect to your coaches, to the refs, to your teammates, to yourself and your family. Showing respect is not a sign of weakness. Trash talking shows a lack of respect. You basically set yourself up when you trash talk because, at some point, you're going to get beaten. And look like a fool for the trash talk.
Throughout every society there are cultural shifts that take place. I'm not sure if we're experiencing one now (in general) with sports or not. But I know a lot of the stuff I personally see and is accepted in youth sports today would have been deemed disrespectful when I participated. I know MLB is definitely fighting this right now with the traditional "unwritten rules" of the sport and the influx of younger players who grew up in a sports culture that completely goes against traditional baseball in America. People's definition of "respectful" and "disrespectful" isn't always the same either, so that's another dynamic that comes into play.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA

I've always thought that your play should do the talking. If you score a touchdown, act like you've been there before. I don't mind a little celebrating, but it should be just that, celebrating, not getting in some guy's going "look what I did".
I played some college baseball back in the day, and it was pretty common that players from both dugouts would rag on whatever pitcher was on the mound, or whoever was at bat. What our coach really hated was, if you got a big lead on the other team, we had some guys that would really unleash some ridiculous stuff. Coach would always turn around and say shut up, let 'em die. He was always worried someone would say something really stupid that would fire up the other team and cause us to lose.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.