Question: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports?

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Re: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports?

There was something about Spurrier's way of trash talking that I actually liked. I guess it was because it was so subtle, yet very cutting. It was like being cut with an extraordinarily sharp blade but not realizing it for a few seconds because it was so sharp. LOL!
I don't think of what he did as trash talking. It was more gamesmanship between rivals. Those little digs and insults that make people on your side laugh and people on the rival side bristle.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Re: (Offseason Topic)- Why do we teach our kids "this" about trash talking in sports?

I played for a lotta years and never understood this - it takes energy to pull someone else up, just as it takes energy to pick yourself up off your butt. I always let them climb up on their own - that's that much less energy they have in the tank later in the game.

It wasn't about class (or the lack thereof), it was simple biology.
Its ok towards the end of the game if the player has earned respect.

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama

It’s a symptom of today’s society...but...
I much prefer the way that it used to be...

...that is..”act like you’ve been there before”

I always felt that if my opponent had to revert to trash-talking, then I was already in his head.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006

I don’t like the smack talking especially in HS sports. HS kids are not well equipped to tune it out and with the raging hormones I feel it just leads to cheap shots and dirty play. I really wish HS referees would stop the jawing and make the kids play the game. Make them show their talent (or lack of it) instead of someone goading the star player on the other team into doing something stupid to get thrown out.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

Soccer can be pretty brutal
You mean those times when a guy gets touched, rolls around like his ankle is broke, gets taken off the field on a stretcher, gets a squirt of water, hops up, runs back on the field and makes a play? :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I don’t like the smack talking especially in HS sports. HS kids are not well equipped to tune it out and with the raging hormones I feel it just leads to cheap shots and dirty play. I really wish HS referees would stop the jawing and make the kids play the game. Make them show their talent (or lack of it) instead of someone goading the star player on the other team into doing something stupid to get thrown out.
Refs in HS only care about trainwrecks and not fender benders. If you enforce every single instance then you would have a never ending game.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

You mean those times when a guy gets touched, rolls around like his ankle is broke, gets taken off the field on a stretcher, gets a squirt of water, hops up, runs back on the field and makes a play? :D

Ive actually seen way more cheap shots in HS soccer games than HS football games.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

Ive actually seen way more cheap shots in HS soccer games than HS football games.
Well in soccer if the ref doesn’t see it, it might as well of never happened.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

My office recently went to a soccer game here in Atlanta. We were allowed to bring kids, spouses, or friends. One of my coworkers brought her 2 young boys ( 9 and 10). They took an immediate shine to the game, they insisted on buying a soccer ball. The next day they were playing in the yard and one kind of bumped the other and then said “no you are supposed to fall down when I do that”.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Well in soccer if the ref doesn’t see it, it might as well of never happened.
I’ve also seen more fan brawls and fights on the field happen in HS soccer boys and girls than I have ever in Hs football.

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018

We played in a local baseball tournament this weekend (3 of my boys) and there was a team from out of town in the 11-12 yr old division that did A LOT of trash talking on and off the field. As the tournament played on you started hearing people talk about it. However, from a lot of people I kept hearing this phrase- "As long as you can back it up" etc.

I guess we're about to see what everyone on here thinks about trash talking. But why (especially in youth sports) do we try so hard to teach our youth respect for an opponent, sportsmanship etc. Yet, turn around and give the okay on behavior that otherwise would be disrespectful and bad sportsmanship, simply because they can "back it up"? Can someone explain that to me? LOL! It's a phrase you will hear a lot of you hang around sports long enough.
I'm not sure what you mean by trash talk. In baseball there was usually a lot of chatter like "rag arm" and such but none of it was all that trashy.

I never did the chatter because I was either pitching or playing right field where nobody could hear me anyway.

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

Little Catfish's baseball team won their first four games and most of the kids were pretty cool about it. There's one kid on the team who trash-talks constantly and I've tried to talk him down a little bit (I'm an assistant coach). The kid is really good and our head coach and his parents don't think it's a big deal, but I think it's a crappy way to conduct yourself. Especially at this level. Well, the fifth game comes along and we got royally crushed. Something like 18-4. He's still trash-talking and I said, "Be quiet. You know we're getting our butts kicked, right?" He said, "But it's fun!" I said, "You're 0 for 3 and the're about to call the game because we're more than ten runs behind. You taunting the other team makes you look dumb." He just stared at me and then started up again.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011

I am not sure that trash talking is a new phenomena. and what is considered trash talk anyway... is yelling "swing batter" trash talking... is directly quoting a Peanuts comic strip from the 50s/60s saying "you hit like my grandmother" as the batter is at the plate... is that trash talking? Is any of that really new? Was the trash talking back in the Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth days a "sign of the age"; what about "Billy Martin" or Reggie Jackson? I am all for remembering the halcyon days of youth, but with time those memories become a bit blurrier and folks don't always have perfect recall of the trash talking that was utilized and even appeared in children's comic strips (arguably what is considered the most wholesome comic ever).

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

I’ve also seen more fan brawls and fights on the field happen in HS soccer boys and girls than I have ever in Hs football.
I never have gotten why a sport (in which only the goaltender can use their hands) that consist mainly of people running around on the field chasing a soccer ball can result in so many fights. It’s not like football or hockey where you have to play with a mean streak or even basketball where fouls happen because of the contact with your arms/hands.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I never have gotten why a sport (in which only the goaltender can use their hands) that consist mainly of people running around on the field chasing a soccer ball can result in so many fights. It’s not like football or hockey where you have to play with a mean streak or even basketball where fouls happen because of the contact with your arms/hands.
Because soccer has no real break in the action to cool off. Its basically one huge play that frustrations continue to build. Football has breaks in the violence and is easier to control because everyone is within a 20 yard span mostly. You mention hockey, but its the same issue just with sticks and ice.

But if you want a real sport then try rugby. soccer mixed with football with less protection. A cardiologist and an orthopedic surgeon's worst nightmare

Last edited:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

Because soccer has no real break in the action to cool off. Its basically one huge play that frustrations continue to build. Football has breaks in the violence and is easier to control because everyone is within a 20 yard span mostly. You mention hockey, but its the same issue just with sticks and ice. But if you want a real sport then try rugby. soccer mixed with football with less protection.
Yeah I guess I can see that. Also a lot of cheap shots can happen, many times between players who aren’t even around the ball, to because of only one ref present. My younger brother used to play soccer and I saw it happen all the time. In foreign countries though the refs can get beaten to death if not killed especially in South America

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Interesting this thread is on the same page as one about one of our players saying he hates Clemson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I am not sure that trash talking is a new phenomena. and what is considered trash talk anyway... is yelling "swing batter" trash talking... is directly quoting a Peanuts comic strip from the 50s/60s saying "you hit like my grandmother" as the batter is at the plate... is that trash talking? Is any of that really new? Was the trash talking back in the Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth days a "sign of the age"; what about "Billy Martin" or Reggie Jackson? I am all for remembering the halcyon days of youth, but with time those memories become a bit blurrier and folks don't always have perfect recall of the trash talking that was utilized and even appeared in children's comic strips (arguably what is considered the most wholesome comic ever).
Trash talking is definitely not new and I don't think anyone is saying that. I'm just wondering why as parents of youth who participate in sports that we are so hell bent on teaching kids sportsmanship and respecting their opponents. That we then turnaround and abruptly insert a caveat saying "Well, as long as you can back it up it is completely okay not to respect your opponents and not to show good sportsmanship."

And yes, what trash talk looks like isn't the same for everyone. That's what makes it so difficult at times in sporting events. When you have people involved nothing is ever simple. But rather, quite complex.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.