Link: Push to remove murals of George Washington in California high school

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Presumably this was what you were referring to?

High School Mulls Removing George Washington Murals Because They 'Traumatize' Students

The murals in question:

On the one hand, I can certainly see how those images might be unnerving. At the same time, if there's one thing that has become apparent in recent years, it's the necessity of Americans coming to terms with the less than savory facets of our history.

Perhaps move the murals to an American History classroom? I dunno.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Weird how you didn't link anything...

I don't think they should be removed they should be a discussion starter about the legacy of Washington and the founding fathers. Maybe like jthomas says it could be moved to a history class room or something.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

High School Mulls Removing George Washington Murals Because They 'Traumatize' Students

The murals in question:

On the one hand, I can certainly see how those images might be unnerving. At the same time, if there's one thing that has become apparent in recent years, it's the necessity of Americans coming to terms with the less than savory facets of our history.

you sure those murals aren't from Pawnee Indiana?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
There was an intense debate in a Texas County a decade ago. They were remodeling and uncovered the "Colored only" sign above one of the water fountains (it had been painted over in the 1960s or 70s.)
Then the debate started. Some wanted it left behind glass with some kind of plaque next to it explaining its context to remind today's citizens of how bad things used to be. Others wanted it covered up again as too painful a reminder.
I can see both sides of that debate.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
There was an intense debate in a Texas County a decade ago. They were remodeling and uncovered the "Colored only" sign above one of the water fountains (it had been painted over in the 1960s or 70s.)
Then the debate started. Some wanted it left behind glass with some kind of plaque next to it explaining its context to remind today's citizens of how bad things used to be. Others wanted it covered up again as too painful a reminder.
I can see both sides of that debate.
That sort of mirrors my emotions about the GW mural, as I'm sure you intended...

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Weird how you didn't link anything...

I don't think they should be removed they should be a discussion starter about the legacy of Washington and the founding fathers. Maybe like jthomas says it could be moved to a history class room or something.
Not sure what happened on the link. There you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

The murals in question:

I don’t think it’s any more unnerving than some of the images teenagers subject themselves to by choice.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don’t think it’s any more unnerving than some of the images teenagers subject themselves to by choice.

LOL! This reminds me of the parents who are so sensitive and sit on the edge of triggered with regard to how you talk to their child (coaching baseball) yet have no problem literally cussing and yelling at their kid on the way to or from the parking lot. Truly a head scratcher.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.