Georgia To Name Field At Sanford Stadium After Former Coach Vince Dooley

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ed-after-vince-dooley/GUkV3VI6SknqAnewM7GAJK/

The field at Sanford Stadium will be named after legendary coach Vince Dooley once a proposal receives the approval of the school system’s Board of Regents, the University of Georgia announced Thursday.

Approval is expected this month and Dooley Field at Sanford Stadium will be crowned Sept. 7, when the Bulldogs face Murray State in the home opener.

=======================

We now have the amusing notion of the field at Auburn named after a Georgia player, and the field at Georgia named after an Auburn player.

(And I still say Dooley's reputation exceeds reality, but I digress).

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
They should name the field after Walker.
I’ve always felt that Dooley gets way more credit than he deserves and Dye gets way less. Without Herschel Dooley would’ve been your average SEC coach. Without Bo Jackson Dye is still a really good coach

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Vince Dooley WAS a good coach - I don't dispute that overall assessment.

But subtract the four years (1980-83) of peak performance, three of which he had Herschel as an anomaly rather than the norm.
His .715 winning pct drops to .677.
Generally speaking, to be an all-timer, you're expected to have a CFB winning pct of .750 (that's 3 out of 4......or going 9-3 every year in a 12-game season).

Dooley was a lot like a Don Nehlen or Bobby Ross type of coach. He'd have a phenomenal year and follow it with mediocrity.

1966 - 10-1.....followed by 7-4, 8-1-2, 5-5-1, and 5-5.

1971 - 11-1.....followed by two 7-win seasons and a 6-win season

75 and 76 - had a 9-win and 10-win season, pretty good I must say

77 - 5-6
78 - 9-2-1 (and literally blew the SEC championship with a tie to Auburn)
79 - 6-5

So....from 1964 until 1979 (sixteen seasons), good ole Vince had ONE time (75 and 76) when he had consecutive 9-win seasons.

So then he grabs Herschel and reels off four good years. Walker leaves after the third because the USFL throws a million bucks his way (not that I blame the guy).

And Dooley follows that period with two 7-win teams and an eight-win team.....winding up his last two years with consecutive 9-3 seasons.

A good coach. Best UGA has had? Debatable. Mark Richt had a higher winning pct at UGA, and he coached during a time there was no way to avoid the toughest opponents in the league.
While I realize it's NOT Dooley's fault, the fact is that he won five of his SEC titles in years he did NOT play Alabama - during a time of extreme Tide dominance (yes, folks, Georgia is co-SEC football champions for 1966. Anyone buy that one?)

Nevertheless, I'm not a wet blanket and other than perhaps Herschel (who was the primary reason for his greatest success), the field would kind of "have" to be named after Dooley.

Just wait until we change the name to Bryant-Denny-Saban Stadium.......

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This is just a reminder of how good CNS has been.

What in the world do you do with a Coach like CNS with all his titles?

Add "Saban" to Stadium? Seems awkward.

Name the field after him? That doesn't seem enough.

Name a building after him? No near enough.

Rename Tuscaloosa? We are getting warmer.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Rename Tuscaloosa? We are getting warmer.
Sabansberg!

Back to the topic at hand.....other than the Walker years, I bet those good years for Dooley were senior laden years or maybe they correspond with down years for UTK.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The three things I always hear from UGA fans is Dooley is the GOAT , Herschel was the best player to play football, and the Varsity is the best place on the planet.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The three things I always hear from UGA fans is Dooley is the GOAT , Herschel was the best player to play football, and the Varsity is the best place on the planet.
They're nuts on number one, and I've never been to number three........but they have a point on #2, and I'm not totally convinced they're wrong, either.

There are very few transcendent CFB players, guys who you hear/know about anywhere in the country and know who he plays for and his position (Notre Dame back in the early TV days excepted).
Guys you just say ONE name and EVERYONE knows.

Herschel
Bo
Cam
Tebow

I'm a full-fledged member of 92tide's "Let's Hate On UGA" Club, but I'm not convinced they're wrong when it comes to Mr Walker.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
and they are 100% wrong on all 3.

when I moved to Georgia people kept talking about The Varsity. I asked "what is the varsity?". Immediately "I had to go". I went took my first bite and said this is meh and there are tons of places better. I said this very loud and the whole place got quiet and everyone was then staring at me. I have lived in the Atlanta area for 21 years. I have been to The Varsity a grand total of 4 times (once to the Kennesaw location). All 4 times it was not my call and all 4 times I wanted my money back.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.