Georgia To Name Field At Sanford Stadium After Former Coach Vince Dooley

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If I'm remembering right, Dooley was right at the top in his day, and he well deserves this.
Yes and no, though as I've said, I can see the "deserves" part.

Let's consider some contemporaries of Mr Dooley:

Charles McClendon (Cholly Mac) - A reminder that Dooley had a .715 winning pct for his entire career of 25 seasons. Mac had a winning pct of .692 during his 18 seasons at LSU. But Mac had to face Coach Bryant every single year. Mac was 2-14 against Bryant, Dooley was 2-4. Simply take away having to play Alabama every single year from 1964-1979 and Mac's winning percentage jumps to .740.

If Vince Dooley had not benefited from the "cooldown period" following the allegations of a fix in 1962.....if he plays Bryant every year......he gets fired because "he can't beat Alabama." (And Cholly Mac pointed out he's the only former Bryant assistant who ever beat him twice).

Most folks today have never even heard of Cholly Mac. They have no idea who he was or how good he truly was. Most LSU fans have forgotten him as well.

Johnny Majors - Majors's record is substantially worse than Dooley's (.645). He also took over the Vols because Bill Battle got fired because (wait for it) he couldn't beat Coach Bryant. Majors played Alabama every single year he coached at Tennessee and wound up going 4-12 against the Tide (and all four wins were narrow Vols escapes that easily could have gone the other way).

Oh.....and who did Majors beat to win the same number of national championships Dooley had? Why, Vince Dooley himself. Dooley went 3-0 against Majors......two of those being the Herschel Walker years.....when it was UGA-Tennessee. But a reasonable argument could be made that Majors was actually the better coach. Majors's career numbers are held down because: a) he began at Iowa St and had some lean years; and b) he came back later on a second run at Pitt and wasn't very good.

Pat Dye - I not only think Dye is a better coach than Dooley, I think he's a MUCH better coach than Dooley. For starters, Dye was 6-3 against Dooley head to head and (key point here) TWO of his three losses came when: a) Dooley had Walker; b) Auburn was coming off probation. Dye's Auburn career pct is .711 vs Dooley's .715. When you consider Dye won six of nine games, this "almost even" record against balances out. Remember - Dye (unlike Dooley) played Alabama every single year and went 6-6 (Dooley 2-4). Yes, Dooley has a national title and Dye doesn't but only because Auburn got jobbed in 1983. (Go back and look at that 1980 UGA schedule and subtract Notre Dame - it makes BYU's 1984 schedule look like an NFL experience by comparison).

What's bizarre is that Auburn "lucked into" Pat Dye because......Vince Dooley turned them down!!!! Dye was one of many names in the coaching search, and he even resigned his other job (he'd only been at Wyoming for a year) after being threatened by the school President but before he even had the Auburn job offer. Dye won 4 SEC titles to Dooley's 6, but he also only coached less than 1/2 as long, too.

Some folks may mention Johnny Vaught, but I think he's an overrated "legend" whose entire reputation is based upon not having to play Alabama. Go look at his record prior to 1964. It's sensational. But then the conference forces Alabama and Ole Miss to play every year, he goes 2-6 against Alabama, and WHOEVER is to blame (the admin, Vaught, whoever)........Alabama makes civil rights progress, Ole Miss resists, and the rest is ancient history (coinciding not so much with 1964).

One final note: Dooley also benefited from Ga Tech leaving the SEC right about the time he became a head coach. I realize he's not to blame for circumstances, but they must also be taken into account when analyzing these things. (Hank Aaron didn't get stronger as he hit his mid-30s....he moved from a pitcher's park in Milwaukee to the easiest home run park in MLB. It doesn't diminish Hank to admit that fact - it simply sets his accomplishments on a more accurate field of evaluation). The same is true with Mr Dooley.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Bo was the single best athlete I've ever seen.
No denying that.

And Herschel wasn't bad. He was in the bobsled in the 1992 Olympics - which when you consider how few bobsleds there are in Georgia.......

Bo was something else, though. He went buck hunting and shot a deer so big it got him in the paper.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
and they are 100% wrong on all 3.

when I moved to Georgia people kept talking about The Varsity. I asked "what is the varsity?". Immediately "I had to go". I went took my first bite and said this is meh and there are tons of places better. I said this very loud and the whole place got quiet and everyone was then staring at me. I have lived in the Atlanta area for 21 years. I have been to The Varsity a grand total of 4 times (once to the Kennesaw location). All 4 times it was not my call and all 4 times I wanted my money back.
i wish i could remember the name of the old choke and puke diner next door to the varsity (tuscaloosa bar) on the strip in the 80s. the varsity (jawjuh hot dog joint) makes that place look like a michelin 2-star establishment.

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Sometimes you just have to settle for naming the field after the coach.

If awbern had added Pat to the stadium name...you would now have Jordan-Hare-Dye Stadium...:cool2:

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
when I moved to Georgia people kept talking about The Varsity. I asked "what is the varsity?". Immediately "I had to go". I went took my first bite and said this is meh and there are tons of places better. I said this very loud and the whole place got quiet and everyone was then staring at me. I have lived in the Atlanta area for 21 years. I have been to The Varsity a grand total of 4 times (once to the Kennesaw location). All 4 times it was not my call and all 4 times I wanted my money back.
Like everything else Jawjuh, they live on the murky memories of something was supposedly grand.

Fifty years ago.......................

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
and they are 100% wrong on all 3.

Wife went about 10 years ago and liked it (probably more because she was with friends she hadn't seen in awhile), so we went a few years ago after going to IKEA. Was so bad. Regretted the decision in no time.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Wife went about 10 years ago and liked it (probably more because she was with friends she hadn't seen in awhile), so we went a few years ago after going to IKEA. Was so bad. Regretted the decision in no time.
I have heard for years that the Varsity is that destination stop for Georgia like Dreamland and Archibalds is for Bama. I was going to check it out in the 2015 game but decided not to go due to rain. So I got stuck in Atlanta during the National Championship game (long story about me sneaking into the game) and I’ll say the UGA fans I came into contact with in the morning were the most civil than the ones I encountered in the afternoon so we talked a little bit, and they asked “ have y’all tried the Varsity hotdogs”. We said no and there was a Varsity food truck near by and I’ve never been so disappointed for a food that has been hyped up for years than that. It kinda tasted like bad carnival hotdogs. But ask an UGA fan where to eat and it’s the Varsity.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I have heard for years that the Varsity is that destination stop for Georgia like Dreamland and Archibalds is for Bama. I was going to check it out in the 2015 game but decided not to go due to rain. So I got stuck in Atlanta during the National Championship game (long story about me sneaking into the game) and I’ll say the UGA fans I came into contact with in the morning were the most civil than the ones I encountered in the afternoon so we talked a little bit, and they asked “ have y’all tried the Varsity hotdogs”. We said no and there was a Varsity food truck near by and I’ve never been so disappointed for a food that has been hyped up for years than that. It kinda tasted like bad carnival hotdogs. But ask an UGA fan where to eat and it’s the Varsity.
that seems to happen with everything jawjuh

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm guessing it's a Jawja thang.

The late Lewis Grizzard (he's dead, that's why explains the tardiness) wrote a book called "Chili Dawgs Always Bark At Night," which was actually inspired (title-wise) in part by one night he gorged at the Varsity and spent the evening on the toilet. He claimed that when he was living in Chicago, he had a lady friend he'd get to come see him, and he'd ask her to bring him Varsity dawgs. He said it soon became obvious he looked more forward to the chili dawgs than her so she said, "It's me or the chili dogs."

"I often wonder what happened to that gal....."

But I've never been to Dreamland, either, and I can tell you to a person that most non-Alabama fans who have ever said to me they've been consider it highly overrated, too.

Some of these thangs are cultural.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm guessing it's a Jawja thang.

The late Lewis Grizzard (he's dead, that's why explains the tardiness) wrote a book called "Chili Dawgs Always Bark At Night," which was actually inspired (title-wise) in part by one night he gorged at the Varsity and spent the evening on the toilet. He claimed that when he was living in Chicago, he had a lady friend he'd get to come see him, and he'd ask her to bring him Varsity dawgs. He said it soon became obvious he looked more forward to the chili dawgs than her so she said, "It's me or the chili dogs."

"I often wonder what happened to that gal....."

But I've never been to Dreamland, either, and I can tell you to a person that most non-Alabama fans who have ever said to me they've been consider it highly overrated, too.

Some of these thangs are cultural.
Honestly I believe Archibalds is better than Dreamland. A lot of folks say that when the old man died the quality took a hit, and when they started branching out it took more of a hit.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Yes and no, though as I've said, I can see the "deserves" part.

Let's consider some contemporaries of Mr Dooley:

Charles McClendon (Cholly Mac) - A reminder that Dooley had a .715 winning pct for his entire career of 25 seasons. Mac had a winning pct of .692 during his 18 seasons at LSU. But Mac had to face Coach Bryant every single year. Mac was 2-14 against Bryant, Dooley was 2-4. Simply take away having to play Alabama every single year from 1964-1979 and Mac's winning percentage jumps to .740.

If Vince Dooley had not benefited from the "cooldown period" following the allegations of a fix in 1962.....if he plays Bryant every year......he gets fired because "he can't beat Alabama." (And Cholly Mac pointed out he's the only former Bryant assistant who ever beat him twice).

Most folks today have never even heard of Cholly Mac. They have no idea who he was or how good he truly was. Most LSU fans have forgotten him as well.

Johnny Majors - Majors's record is substantially worse than Dooley's (.645). He also took over the Vols because Bill Battle got fired because (wait for it) he couldn't beat Coach Bryant. Majors played Alabama every single year he coached at Tennessee and wound up going 4-12 against the Tide (and all four wins were narrow Vols escapes that easily could have gone the other way).

Oh.....and who did Majors beat to win the same number of national championships Dooley had? Why, Vince Dooley himself. Dooley went 3-0 against Majors......two of those being the Herschel Walker years.....when it was UGA-Tennessee. But a reasonable argument could be made that Majors was actually the better coach. Majors's career numbers are held down because: a) he began at Iowa St and had some lean years; and b) he came back later on a second run at Pitt and wasn't very good.

Pat Dye - I not only think Dye is a better coach than Dooley, I think he's a MUCH better coach than Dooley. For starters, Dye was 6-3 against Dooley head to head and (key point here) TWO of his three losses came when: a) Dooley had Walker; b) Auburn was coming off probation. Dye's Auburn career pct is .711 vs Dooley's .715. When you consider Dye won six of nine games, this "almost even" record against balances out. Remember - Dye (unlike Dooley) played Alabama every single year and went 6-6 (Dooley 2-4). Yes, Dooley has a national title and Dye doesn't but only because Auburn got jobbed in 1983. (Go back and look at that 1980 UGA schedule and subtract Notre Dame - it makes BYU's 1984 schedule look like an NFL experience by comparison).

What's bizarre is that Auburn "lucked into" Pat Dye because......Vince Dooley turned them down!!!! Dye was one of many names in the coaching search, and he even resigned his other job (he'd only been at Wyoming for a year) after being threatened by the school President but before he even had the Auburn job offer. Dye won 4 SEC titles to Dooley's 6, but he also only coached less than 1/2 as long, too.

Some folks may mention Johnny Vaught, but I think he's an overrated "legend" whose entire reputation is based upon not having to play Alabama. Go look at his record prior to 1964. It's sensational. But then the conference forces Alabama and Ole Miss to play every year, he goes 2-6 against Alabama, and WHOEVER is to blame (the admin, Vaught, whoever)........Alabama makes civil rights progress, Ole Miss resists, and the rest is ancient history (coinciding not so much with 1964).

One final note: Dooley also benefited from Ga Tech leaving the SEC right about the time he became a head coach. I realize he's not to blame for circumstances, but they must also be taken into account when analyzing these things. (Hank Aaron didn't get stronger as he hit his mid-30s....he moved from a pitcher's park in Milwaukee to the easiest home run park in MLB. It doesn't diminish Hank to admit that fact - it simply sets his accomplishments on a more accurate field of evaluation). The same is true with Mr Dooley.
Was not aware of the Wyoming resignation prior to getting the Auburn job, but if that's the case then it was the second time in two years that Dye had done that. The reason he was in Wyoming to begin with is because he was HC at ECU and asked to be interviewed for the NCSU job vacated by Bo Rein. Was told he was ineligible because they could not hire within the North Carolina School system. He said he was eligible because I resign from the ECU job and am no longer employed by them. They said it didn't work that way and he was still ineligible. He said then that he was not resigning and would remain at ECU. They said it didn't work that way and he was no longer HC at ECU. Off to Wyoming he went!

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Solomon's or the joint where you'd get a patty melt and write your name on a ceiling tile?
i wish i could remember the name of the old choke and puke diner next door to the varsity (tuscaloosa bar) on the strip in the 80s. the varsity (jawjuh hot dog joint) makes that place look like a michelin 2-star establishment.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
You have been confirmed correct...Quick Snack. The reply was a jovial, "Yes! Best Patty Melt Ever!" LOL...
not the solomons so it must be the other place. it was between the varsity and galettes (sp). it was like quick snack or something like that.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
If I'm remembering right, Dooley was right at the top in his day, and he well deserves this.
I think this honor is for Vince's overall contribution as a coach, Athletic Director and tireless supporter of all things Georgia. I think it's an honor long overdue.

sonoma

Scout Team
Sep 14, 2004
You have been confirmed correct...Quick Snack. The reply was a jovial, "Yes! Best Patty Melt Ever!" LOL...
Kwik snack, the cook’s name was Rudy, he had a hole in his ear from a bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I never had the patty melt, but I would get a cheeseburger and tater tots there from time to time between classes. It was good. Thanks for the Quick Snack memories this morning.

Oh, I suppose I should say congratulations to Coach Dooley to stay on topic.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think this honor is for Vince's overall contribution as a coach, Athletic Director and tireless supporter of all things Georgia. I think it's an honor long overdue.
And I "get" that. I don't dispute that aspect as he's probably the most influential person in UGA history.

My favorite Dooley story was one Grizzard told from when he worked for the student newspaper. In 1965, UGA hired Ken Rosemond to coach b-ball. He basically got the job because he had played on the unbeaten Tar Heels of Frank McGuire that won the 1957 championship. Rosemond showed up and basically said he couldn't win with Georgia kids and tried to build a sort of John Wooden or Frank McGuire pipeline of kids not from Georgia into the program.

He wasn't doing very well.

One day in front of some witnesses, Rosemond (allegedly) asked Dooley if he was coming to that evening's b-ball game. Dooley said, "Well that depends - who are you playing tonight?"

Let's just say Rosemond was not happy with that one.

But YES - tbf - when you think of UGA, you think of Dooley so I can understand the honor.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.