Link: Jarrett Stidham Hurt His Stock at Auburn

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think if he was good enough to start then he would’ve been starting a long time ago. If Jacoby Brissett was good enough to earn a stewardship starter role based off 3 games then I believe there was enough film on AJ’s 4 games to make a decision. The NFL is quite aware of who AJ McCarron is by now and all 32 teams see him as a clipboard holder. He did get a real chance and didn’t impress enough people to try to get him as a starter.

The overall point is you are acting like Stidham is just this average qb that can’t throw like AJ. But when you look at what it means to be a Patriots backup qb you realize you are going to get more than 3 starts for someone down the road. And the Patriots are one of the most selective when it comes to players... especially qbs. Heck they selected a qb that 90% of this board never heard of in the 2nd and let AJ plummet to the 5th round. That qb got a starting job as the Star qb a few years later. Point is the Patriots selected Stidham in a round that has a guaranteed contract, meaning they see some real potential in him.
I'm not acting like anything. We just disagree.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I love that AJM is getting a little love on TideFans. Strangely, you'd think he was just an average player who accidentally left with 3 NC rings and two of those as a starter.

AJM's ship to be a starter in the NFL might have sailed, but this I know: he was a perfect fit for CNS those 3 years he started.

I think Tua probably fits more of what CNS wants his offense to look like today, but I could easily see us going back to an offensive MO that used more of a drop back guy who maybe isn't the best athlete but who understands the game like AJM.

Right now, we kinda have a guy who is pretty good with his feet and arm.

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
He was better than good, and you don't beat the 2011 LSU team with a guy like Stidham. AJ made NFL passes against an NFL defense in that game. He was dropping dimes while passing to very average receivers against some DBs still playing in the NFL.
In NFL its always the next great sensation until those QBs dont pan out but they will rinse repeat same formula even if it doesnt work

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I love that AJM is getting a little love on TideFans. Strangely, you'd think he was just an average player who accidentally left with 3 NC rings and two of those as a starter.

AJM's ship to be a starter in the NFL might have sailed, but this I know: he was a perfect fit for CNS those 3 years he started.

I think Tua probably fits more of what CNS wants his offense to look like today, but I could easily see us going back to an offensive MO that used more of a drop back guy who maybe isn't the best athlete but who understands the game like AJM.

Right now, we kinda have a guy who is pretty good with his feet and arm.
I am not certain the brand of offense that we ran in those years would win it all in this day and age. In fact, I think it's good bit of the reason why we've knocked Georgia out of the NC race each of the past 2 years. Whether Kirby likes to admit it or not, he's pretty much built his program in the mold of the traditional Nick Saban scheme - not what we morphed to with Lane Kiffin. And I think that's why we ultimately beat them the past two years despite them getting the jump on us both times. We were more dynamic, and could adjust on the fly.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
UGA's current QB, Jake Fromm is from the same mold as AJ McCarron. Good leader, understands what the coach wants, manages the game plan, more than adequate passer and not so fleet afoot. Also great defensive support.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
He was better than good, and you don't beat the 2011 LSU team with a guy like Stidham. AJ made NFL passes against an NFL defense in that game. He was dropping dimes while passing to very average receivers against some DBs still playing in the NFL.
Totally agree with you on that. The type of drive he engineered there is one that all QB's should be measured too. I don't get how AJ with two championship rings and a great performance in the playoffs as a NFL back up can be called a game manager.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
UGA's current QB, Jake Fromm is from the same mold as AJ McCarron. Good leader, understands what the coach wants, manages the game plan, more than adequate passer and not so fleet afoot. Also great defensive support.
I believe you would agree that there remains a lot to be played out this year in terms of how several QB's will be viewed as NFL prospects. The obvious ones being Fromm, Tua, Hurts and Lawrence. That is without getting into the second tier and potential surprises.
There will be many lines of print and pundit commentary between now and the NC. Then we will be into Mock Draft time. It will be interesting for sure!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I believe you would agree that there remains a lot to be played out this year in terms of how several QB's will be viewed as NFL prospects. The obvious ones being Fromm, Tua, Hurts and Lawrence. That is without getting into the second tier and potential surprises.
There will be many lines of print and pundit commentary between now and the NC. Then we will be into Mock Draft time. It will be interesting for sure!
I agree the upcoming season will tell us a lot about the QBs you have mentioned. I don't see Fromm leaving UGA early so he has two more seasons to improve his stock. I am also not 100% sure Tua leaves after this season. I believe that being at OU will improve Jalen's stock at QB. I still believe at this point, Lawrence possesses the best skill set to make it in the NFL.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I admit I dont watch preseason that much unless there is quarterback controversy, but someone sent me this. All I have to say is what Tom Brady and Josh Mcdaniels have done in a few months dwarfs what Gus did in two years with Stidham. He looks far more comfortable based on one game than he ever did with Auburn

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I agree the upcoming season will tell us a lot about the QBs you have mentioned. I don't see Fromm leaving UGA early so he has two more seasons to improve his stock. I am also not 100% sure Tua leaves after this season. I believe that being at OU will improve Jalen's stock at QB. I still believe at this point, Lawrence possesses the best skill set to make it in the NFL.
I am absolutely sure he will leave and he should and he will be the #1 QB off the board and quite possibly #1 overall. I agree on Lawrence.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Tua is going pro after this season because his shot at #1 QB or even #1 overall in the draft is better in 2020 than 2021.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Stidham looked good in that video, but, for crying out loud, he had ALL DAY to throw on almost every one of those passes. I remember one ball he threw with someone bearing down on him.

Otherwise, I really like the Patriots offensive system and I love how they almost always have one short, squat route that is almost always open and to Stidham's credit, he used that outlet a few times.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Stidham looked good in that video, but, for crying out loud, he had ALL DAY to throw on almost every one of those passes. I remember one ball he threw with someone bearing down on him.

Otherwise, I really like the Patriots offensive system and I love how they almost always have one short, squat route that is almost always open and to Stidham's credit, he used that outlet a few times.
I don’t know about ALL DAY, most of his passes were on par within the average time that an NFL qb has available. I think his only issues from both outings was that he is trying a few Aaron Rodgers and Mahomes type throws that are very high risk and have to be very precise. He made a lot of quick reads in both outings, and got away with 2 bad throws. But overall Patriots fans should be very happy since they probably got the 2 steals ( Harris and Stidham)of the draft that will pay off in the near future. But overall If Stidham stays healthy and improves then he most likely will start somewhere in the next 4 years.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don’t know about ALL DAY, most of his passes were on par within the average time that an NFL qb has available. He made a lot of quick reads in both outings, and got away with 2 bad throws. But overall Patriots fans should be very happy since they probably got the 2 steals of the draft. If Stidham stays healthy and improves then he most likely will start somewhere in the next 4 years.
You know more about the NFL than me, but I'd be pretty shocked if they don't draft another qb or two whenever Brady decides to hang it up.

I know that got him in a similar arrangement as they drafted Stidham, but I gotta think Brady turning out the way he did is not your typical "how to draft a hall of fame QB" move.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.