Link: Jarrett Stidham Hurt His Stock at Auburn

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Cam Newton's success was in spite of him spending 4 months at Auburn, not because of it. The offense is great for an athletic QB who would otherwise not play at the college level and who mostly just wants to win games and get a degree. If you have NFL aspirations you're a stone cold moron to choose Auburn as long as Gus is there. I don't know who was advising Sitham. and I feel like current legacy freshman QB may not have been served by living out his dad's dream.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
An occasional trick play may catch the defense off guard. An offensive scheme based on trickeration simply means you know you can't compete with the best teams.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Auburn under Malzahn (HC or OC) has only beat Alabama when they got a great game out of their defense. Their second half in 2010, the successive 4th quarter 3rd/4th down stops in 2013, and the complete shutdown of our offense in 2017.

Their offense is not that great. It only stands a chance of being enough to win if they get an above average game from their defense so that a few gadgets can actually make a winning difference instead of just saving face from avoiding getting skunked.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
The problem was that Stidham is nowhere the athlete that $Cam or Marshall was they also had by far much better O-Lines protecting them. He caught Alabama in a bad night in ‘17 but look at what happened to him in ‘18.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Without a solid RB1, Gus’s offense won’t work with a QB like Stidham. Kerryon made defenses respect the run. Auburn didn’t have that in 2018.

IOW, Gus’s offense needs a few things to work well:

1. Dynamic QB
2. Experienced OL
3. Solid RB

Obviously those things can be said about any offense, but Gus’s offense seems to need that combination more than others in order to be successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Without a solid RB1, Gus’s offense won’t work with a QB like Stidham. Kerryon made defenses respect the run. Auburn didn’t have that in 2018.

IOW, Gus’s offense needs a few things to work well:

1. Dynamic QB
2. Experienced OL
3. Solid RB

Obviously those things can be said about any offense, but Gus’s offense seems to need that combination more than others in order to be successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So the question is: Do they have all three of those components this year?

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
The problem was that Stidham is nowhere the athlete that $Cam or Marshall was they also had by far much better O-Lines protecting them. He caught Alabama in a bad night in ‘17 but look at what happened to him in ‘18.
I may get blasted for posting this, but I think AJ McCarron is a fair comparison to Stidham.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I may get blasted for posting this, but I think AJ McCarron is a fair comparison to Stidham.
AJ had little to no mobility. I spent all of 2014 watching Blake Sims and his running ability to make a first down saying “AJ probably would have taken that sack”. I always thought AJ was more like a Ken Dorsey that weighed 25lbs more.

rtr90

1st Team
Dec 7, 2018
I think Stidham has a better arm than AJ. He could have been 2nd QB drafted had he been in pro-style offensive system

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I think Stidham has a better arm than AJ. He could have been 2nd QB drafted had he been in pro-style offensive system
i think he's a better overall athlete than AJ but i think their games are pretty similar.

and as thrilling and talented as Tua is and as dynamic as Jalen and Sims were, i still think AJ is the perfect QB for Saban.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/a...auburn-gus-malzahn-michael-lombardi-train-qb/

“That offense at Auburn, I’m not sure what the hell it is,” Lombardi said. “They run power, they run unbalanced… But anyway, that offense, seriously, might be one of the worst offenses in football, so you can’t evaluate a quarterback in it or they can’t train a quarterback, that’s the other thing. (Gus Malzahn) can’t train them.”

The cat is finally of the bag!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wait. He's an offensive genius. Right?

Seriously though, it seems his offense does much better when he gets a bad QB (one that has no shot in the pros at that position) who can run. Stidham may do good in the pros but he was a terrible match for Malzahn.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
i think he's a better overall athlete than AJ but i think their games are pretty similar.

and as thrilling and talented as Tua is and as dynamic as Jalen and Sims were, i still think AJ is the perfect QB for Saban.
AJ was a good QB on a couple of great teams. I agree with your thoughts on AJ being a perfect fit for a CNS offense.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
AJ was a good QB on a couple of great teams. I agree with your thoughts on AJ being a perfect fit for a CNS offense.
He was better than good, and you don't beat the 2011 LSU team with a guy like Stidham. AJ made NFL passes against an NFL defense in that game. He was dropping dimes while passing to very average receivers against some DBs still playing in the NFL.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He was better than good, and you don't beat the 2011 LSU team with a guy like Stidham. AJ made NFL passes against an NFL defense in that game. He was dropping dimes while passing to very average receivers against some DBs still playing in the NFL.
Yet stidham will probably finish his career with more NFL starts than AJ just by being in the McDaniels/Brady system.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yet stidham will probably finish his career with more NFL starts than AJ just by being in the McDaniels/Brady system.
AJ never got a real chance in the NFL. Still, I don't feel bad for him. He has made more money than I will in my lifetime, and I am doing fairly well.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I read part of some article the other day where the author had CGM listed as 6th best HC active today. Naturally, I didn't finish the article...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
AJ never got a real chance in the NFL. Still, I don't feel bad for him. He has made more money than I will in my lifetime, and I am doing fairly well.
I think if he was good enough to start then he would’ve been starting a long time ago. If Jacoby Brissett was good enough to earn a stewardship starter role based off 3 games then I believe there was enough film on AJ’s 4 games to make a decision. The NFL is quite aware of who AJ McCarron is by now and all 32 teams see him as a clipboard holder. He did get a real chance and didn’t impress enough people to try to get him as a starter.

The overall point is you are acting like Stidham is just this average qb that can’t throw like AJ. But when you look at what it means to be a Patriots backup qb you realize you are going to get more than 3 starts for someone down the road. And the Patriots are one of the most selective when it comes to players... especially qbs. Heck they selected a qb that 90% of this board never heard of in the 2nd and let AJ plummet to the 5th round. That qb got a starting job as the Star qb a few years later. Point is the Patriots selected Stidham in a round that has a guaranteed contract, meaning they see some real potential in him.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.