Jonathan Allen: "I still hate Clemson"

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
They weren't built on a solid foundation then. Yeah it was the worst loss Alabama has suffered in 2 decades, but it doesn't take a genius to have come to the conclusion that we weren't prepared to even be in that stadium that night. The reason I say that is, this isn't like Clemson "exposed" us. They exposed our lack of preparation that night, but not the overall footing of the program.
Limiting my comment to that one NC game I have felt what we saw that night was the result of a couple of factors. I haven't been a big fan of Mike Locksley in terms of developing a balanced offense and preparing a game plan for Tua against outstanding defenses. It came up in spades that night with him having his attention fixed on Maryland. The other factor I thought was that we had a team that could not be as prepared mentally and physically due to the level of competition from Oklahoma and the extra travel involved versus Clemson who was able to cruise through a season and a playoff game with essentially another ACC team. If that isn't enough we obviously had a number of coaches looking for their next job. The worst possible mix I believe. To me all of that is no more predictive of the future than the semi-final beat down of Clemson the previous year.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Without 3 they are not a dynasty other than an ACC dynasty. Otherwise Florida was a dynasty from 2006-2008.
Clemson in the past 4 years:
2015 - 14-1, won ACC, lost in title game
2016 - 14-1, won ACC, won title
2017 - 12-2, won ACC, lost in semis
2018 - 15-0, won ACC, won title

Florida 2005-2008
2005 - 9-3, 2nd in division
2006 - 13-1, won SEC, won the title
2007 - 9-4, 3rd in division
2008 - 13-1, won SEC, won the title

Florida was good, but you don't fail to win 10 games 2 times in 4 years and get called a dynasty. Plus Florida had Tebow. Clemson has won titles with 2 different QBs.

That's what makes Saban's run the most impressive - he's doing it with so many different guys at QB.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
IMO in deciding which program is the "#1 program" you should take into account recent success on the field, in recruiting, and putting players into the NFL.

In only one of those categories does Clemson match Alabama over the last 4 years and in none of those categories do they surpass Alabama.

Feel free to disagree but that's the way I personally see it.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Clemson in the past 4 years:
2015 - 14-1, won ACC, lost in title game
2016 - 14-1, won ACC, won title
2017 - 12-2, won ACC, lost in semis
2018 - 15-0, won ACC, won title

Florida 2005-2008
2005 - 9-3, 2nd in division
2006 - 13-1, won SEC, won the title
2007 - 9-4, 3rd in division
2008 - 13-1, won SEC, won the title

Florida was good, but you don't fail to win 10 games 2 times in 4 years and get called a dynasty. Plus Florida had Tebow. Clemson has won titles with 2 different QBs.

That's what makes Saban's run the most impressive - he's doing it with so many different guys at QB.
Florida won titles with two different qbs as well.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I can't wait for the end of August. I do hate Clemson, but it is a healthy rival that will make us stay focused which we need. They need us as well.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Florida played much tougher regular season schedules during their 4 year span.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The good news is that in all likelihood Alabama and Clemson part V is coming.

Unless Georgia or some random Clemson losses ruin it.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK

At this point, looks like having Tebow was more of a handicap. D Watson is the better deal, handsdown.

Florida played much tougher regular season schedules during their 4 year span.
Exaccctly.. Clemson still doesn't even sniff the same caliber competition. To their credit, it's not clemson's fault. Lets swap USCe for Clemson. See how they do then?

Last edited:

FairlyAmazing

Scout Team
Mar 17, 2019
"To me all of that is no more predictive of the future than the semi-final beat down of Clemson the previous year."

With Kelly Bryant at QB, there was zero
threat of a long pass.

It's why he lost his job early in the 2018 season.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I don't hate Clemson.... I only hate losing to them.

But look let's give credit where it's due.

We've met 4 straight times in the CFP's and the record for each team is 2-2 and both teams have won 2 NC's. 2 games have been close and two haven't.

In my book "Right Now" Our program and theirs are on pretty much equal footing at the Top of CFB.

If pressed for a hard answer as to who's "#1"..... going into this season?..... of course it's Clemson.

They have won 2 out of 3 NC's and will be the defending Champs and they just completely dismantled us for all to see.

But I'll also say this..... every time talk starts up about Alabama and CNS's Dynasty being dead and over.....it gets squashed by us winning another National Championship.

This year *should* be like 2017 in a way. Clemson will be the hunted with the target on their backs and Alabama will be the hunter.

If both teams stay healthy and on course I really think we see Round V in the CFPNCG and this time I'm expecting a War that comes down to the final quarter if not minutes.

FairlyAmazing

Scout Team
Mar 17, 2019
On a Bama board? Nice...

I read one Clemson board. It's filled with some level headed posters and a bunch of delusional posters. I think I have 11 posts in my 8 years there.

I graduated Clemson in 1973, but began attending football games in 1956...............so I didn't just jump on the bandwagon.

To me, this board allows me to get a feel for what Bama fans/supporters think.

In my opinion, the instigators in most college football arguments are the yappers on ESPN. They get on some stupid point and beat it to death......regardless of whether the point makes sense.

Bama has been pretty much atop the college football world for quite a while now. Anyone with half a brain can see that.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I don't hate Clemson.... I only hate losing to them.

But look let's give credit where it's due.

We've met 4 straight times in the CFP's and the record for each team is 2-2 and both teams have won 2 NC's. 2 games have been close and two haven't.

In my book "Right Now" Our program and theirs are on pretty much equal footing at the Top of CFB.

If pressed for a hard answer as to who's "#1"..... going into this season?..... of course it's Clemson.

They have won 2 out of 3 NC's and will be the defending Champs and they just completely dismantled us for all to see.

But I'll also say this..... every time talk starts up about Alabama and CNS's Dynasty being dead and over.....it gets squashed by us winning another National Championship.

This year *should* be like 2017 in a way. Clemson will be the hunted with the target on their backs and Alabama will be the hunter.

If both teams stay healthy and on course I really think we see Round V in the CFPNCG and this time I'm expecting a War that comes down to the final quarter if not minutes.
We must beat Auburn in Auburn. That’s been far from automatic under Saban.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't hate Clemson, but I am not happy with where they are as a program compared to Bama.

Right now they're the clear #1 program. Now and for the foreseeable future.

The crown of "#1 program" is as longstanding as the current "highest paid {insert a professional sports contract}" Give it several months and they are no longer the highest paid. Someone else is. If Clemson doesn't win the national title again then they are no longer the top program. Doubly so if we win it. Clemson is losing a defensive front that I highly doubt Dabo will see again in the foreseeable future. I still to this day wonder how he convinced that entire group to come back last year. If attrition is able to catch up with our program, who is arguable on the greatest run in college football history. Then it's right around the corner from Clemson. We were able to fight it off for a long time but ultimately, it got us. My prediction is it will be knocking at Dabo's door this season. Yes, they play in a weak conference, but they are still playing against FBS level athletes and they will not have the luxury of having that defensive front to lock down the opposing offense while their offense figures it out, recovers from injury or whatever.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Yes, they play in a weak conference, but they are still playing against FBS level athletes and they will not have the luxury of having that defensive front to lock down the opposing offense while their offense figures it out, recovers from injury or whatever.
Unless they have a string of injuries I don't see them losing a game until the playoffs. Their offense has it figured out. They return everyone of note at the skill positions and have the same coaches as before. Not many kinks to work out.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Unless they have a string of injuries I don't see them losing a game until the playoffs. Their offense has it figured out. They return everyone of note at the skill positions and have the same coaches as before. Not many kinks to work out.
Currently we're having to play the 2019 football schedule on paper. Seeing you have "Coach" in your handle I know you realize that games aren't played on paper and in every season even the best of teams will roll out a clunker or two during the regular season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.