is anyone using grocery pickup (online ordering)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I guess I'm just too picky about meat and produce. I can see ordering staples but not those two items...
Yeah, those are the two items we tend to not get from an online pickup order. Have gotten a few produce items, but that’s it.

Publix does offer online deli ordering, which is nice. I made the order online and picked up the deli meat when I got there for my shopping. Didn’t have to wait in line at the deli counter, which tends to be pretty crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I do grocery merchandising for a living and I encounter the professional shoppers a lot in Atlanta. The ones I have spoken to seem to enjoy the job.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
What ever happened to keeping the kids by themselves in the car while mom went into the store?:smile:
So many things our kids can't experience that we did. :D

When we lived in Cleveland, OH, there was a grocery store near us that had a "daycare" inside where you could drop kids off and go shop for up to 2 hours.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yeah, those are the two items we tend to not get from an online pickup order. Have gotten a few produce items, but that’s it.

Publix does offer online deli ordering, which is nice. I made the order online and picked up the deli meat when I got there for my shopping. Didn’t have to wait in line at the deli counter, which tends to be pretty crowded.

this past week, we did an online deli order with our wal-mart order and it worked well. we have had good luck with the small bits of produce and meat we have gotten with our pickups, but it's only been the basics (ground beef/turkey, romaine hearts, bananas).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So many things our kids can't experience that we did. :D

When we lived in Cleveland, OH, there was a grocery store near us that had a "daycare" inside where you could drop kids off and go shop for up to 2 hours.
When we lived in NYC, there was only one store even close to what you'd call a supermarket. It was a Kroger's and was quite a way's away. There was a smallish "supermarket," Gristidi's, over on the east side of Washington Square which delivered and almost everyone ordered from there. They had these bikes running all over the place, criss-crossing the square. The front wheels were very small, so as to make room for a really deep basket, probably 3' or so. They could carry one huge load or two or three small to medium loads. It was quite an efficient system for a densely-populated city...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
One of my friends is a store manager at a Kroger Market aka "Super Kroger". He told me his customers are getting so good at bagging groceries in the self checkout that he's on the verge of having to cut back hours of some of his cashiers. Next time I see him I want to ask him how does he see the online ordering coupled with the increase use in self checkout impacting his staff.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
One of my friends is a store manager at a Kroger Market aka "Super Kroger". He told me his customers are getting so good at bagging groceries in the self checkout that he's on the verge of having to cut back hours of some of his cashiers. Next time I see him I want to ask him how does he see the online ordering coupled with the increase use in self checkout impacting his staff.
I absolutely hate the self checkout. I have a job, I don't need to do theirs too. If they offered a discount for using the self checkout, I would reconsider.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Kroger was the first place I noticed the upswing in self-checkout. For whatever reason, black people seemed to be the early adopters, although it's more balanced now...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I absolutely hate the self checkout. I have a job, I don't need to do theirs too. If they offered a discount for using the self checkout, I would reconsider.
Same here. When I'm in line and I've got a manager say "Sir, self checkout is available if you don't want to stand in line". I always jokingly ask "Are my groceries going to be cheaper?" in which the manager gets a confused look. But I believe if I'm going to check out my own groceries, and the price of the groceries have the cost of the cashier's wage built into it. Then I should be paying less. But that's just me. :)

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Same here. When I'm in line and I've got a manager say "Sir, self checkout is available if you don't want to stand in line". I always jokingly ask "Are my groceries going to be cheaper?" in which the manager gets a confused look. But I believe if I'm going to check out my own groceries, and the price of the groceries have the cost of the cashier's wage built into it. Then I should be paying less. But that's just me. :)
My reply is always, "No thanks, I have a job already."

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I love self checkout. My stuff gets bagged correctly and I don’t have to deal with some idiotic chatty cashier. Plus it ticks off people who hate them.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I love self checkout. My stuff gets bagged correctly and I don’t have to deal with some idiotic chatty cashier. Plus it ticks off people who hate them.

the stores where we shop the choice is usually stand in an insanely long line to wait for a cashier, or stand in a lot shorter line and check yourself out. i figure my time is my discount ;)

my biggest issue with it is there is never enough space to put everything as i usually have a buggy full.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
the stores where we shop the choice is usually stand in an insanely long line to wait for a cashier, or stand in a lot shorter line and check yourself out. i figure my time is my discount ;)

my biggest issue with it is there is never enough space to put everything as i usually have a buggy full.
The mom with the 3" binder full of coupons probably isn't in the self-checkout. I know which one I'm using.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Yeah, they really aren’t designed for huge orders.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

About the only thing I buy at Walmart is wine, because of price, naturally, so It's just a few items. A couple of times, I've seen a lady with a mounded up basket at the entrance of the self checkout. Both times, they turned the ladies away pretty firmly. I wasn't close enough to overhear what was said...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
About the only thing I buy at Walmart is wine, because of price, naturally, so It's just a few items. A couple of times, I've seen a lady with a mounded up basket at the entrance of the self checkout. Both times, they turned the ladies away pretty firmly. I wasn't close enough to overhear what was said...
The Prattville Walmart added new self checkout lanes a few months back. They are the same size as a regular checkout line, but I haven't seen many go fully buggy load with them.

As they have become more prevalent, seems like most people have learned what is and what is not acceptable with them. For instance, I knew not to go that route last night at Target since I was buying a new SD card for my wife's camera. If I didn't have that in the cart, I would have done it myself.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The problem with buying alcohol at self checkout is you have to have someone come over and scan their badge since it is an age restricted item.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

yeah, they were designed for that and i originally only used them for that. but when they have two, maybe three cashiers on duty in a busy store, you don't have lots of other options. if they are committed to using the self checkout, they should make it functional.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.