is anyone using grocery pickup (online ordering)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
yeah, they were designed for that and i originally only used them for that. but when they have two, maybe three cashiers on duty in a busy store, you don't have lots of other options. if they are committed to using the self checkout, they should make it functional.
I don't understand. Are you saying they were designed for huge orders?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I used the delivery for the first time. That was pretty awesome not having to wait in line and deal with parking. Plus the added bonus not being asked about starving children.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I don't understand. Are you saying they were designed for huge orders?
i am saying they were originally designed for smaller, quicker orders, but the lack of staffing at the other registers is pushing folks to use that line because even though it slows down with the higher traffic, it is still much faster. if they are going to push for further automation in-store they are going to have to make it work better for folks with larger volume purchases. the kroger i use has a pretty decent sized area, but the wal-mart's is tiny. i was not really doing anything that would be considered a huge order at either of those places, and now that we have access to the pick-up it's not going to be much of an issue for me anymore.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
i am saying they were originally designed for smaller, quicker orders, but the lack of staffing at the other registers is pushing folks to use that line because even though it slows down with the higher traffic, it is still much faster. if they are going to push for further automation in-store they are going to have to make it work better for folks with larger volume purchases. the kroger i use has a pretty decent sized area, but the wal-mart's is tiny. i was not really doing anything that would be considered a huge order at either of those places, and now that we have access to the pick-up it's not going to be much of an issue for me anymore.
Well, as I said, they don't really seem here to be pushing in the direction of mass use of the self-checkout areas, not with turning away people with loaded carts. In fact, I don't even think it's a viable solution for mass purchases. When you consider the hangups from mis-labeled and non-labeled items, alcohol and the general slowness of individual shoppers in scanning items, I think it will continue to be more economical for them to funnel large purchases through conventional aisles. Ordering, however, is a totally different question. That's a real money-maker for the store...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'd add this - the Walmart self-checkouts around here seem to be set up to minimize shoplifting, whereas the Kroger self lanes are open and are organized more for moving more people through...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
At the Wal-Mart where I live the self checkouts are on the end and they are in a square so it can get crowded.

The ones I have seen in grocery stores are usually front and center but are still not convenient for big orders. But I have never seen someone kicked out for taking a big order through there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Well, as I said, they don't really seem here to be pushing in the direction of mass use of the self-checkout areas, not with turning away people with loaded carts. In fact, I don't even think it's a viable solution for mass purchases. When you consider the hangups from mis-labeled and non-labeled items, alcohol and the general slowness of individual shoppers in scanning items, I think it will continue to be more economical for them to funnel large purchases through conventional aisles. Ordering, however, is a totally different question. That's a real money-maker for the store...
i live in an area of town with severely understaffed stores, so i imagine that has a lot to do with it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Last night at Target, had to use self checkout. The only register open was customer service. That was the response an employee gave another customer trying to checkout.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
At the Wal-Mart where I live the self checkouts are on the end and they are in a square so it can get crowded.

The ones I have seen in grocery stores are usually front and center but are still not convenient for big orders. But I have never seen someone kicked out for taking a big order through there.

As I said, I've seen it twice, but I've made many trips there for wine. Those are the only two times I've seen someone try to take a huge cart load through there, though, come to think about it...

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
As I said, I've seen it twice, but I've made many trips there for wine. Those are the only two times I've seen someone try to take a huge cart load through there, though, come to think about it...
My experience at Walmart is what you have expressed it seems that primarily items with bar codes go through the the self checkout as the counter would not handle a large cart. On the other hand the relatively new Kroger I primarily shop at has full carts going through practically full time. The Kroger also has multiple employees shopping for pick up customers at all times to the degree that it creates a pain for in store shoppers. I am not aware of that at happening at the Walmart stores. Kroger appears to be competing with Whole Foods and Publix with Walmart obviously serving a different demographic as their primary customer base.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
My experience at Walmart is what you have expressed it seems that primarily items with bar codes go through the the self checkout as the counter would not handle a large cart. On the other hand the relatively new Kroger I primarily shop at has full carts going through practically full time. The Kroger also has multiple employees shopping for pick up customers at all times to the degree that it creates a pain for in store shoppers. I am not aware of that at happening at the Walmart stores. Kroger appears to be competing with Whole Foods and Publix with Walmart obviously serving a different demographic as their primary customer base.
Your Kroger sounds like the Prattville Walmart.

Employees are out in the store shopping for the online orders, and there are several, several self checkout lines. There are the small ones setup in a square (presumably for security purposes) at each end of the line of registers. Here's an example of about 6 of the self checkout lines that were installed about a year ago:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Your Kroger sounds like the Prattville Walmart.

Employees are out in the store shopping for the online orders, and there are several, several self checkout lines. There are the small ones setup in a square (presumably for security purposes) at each end of the line of registers. Here's an example of about 6 of the self checkout lines that were installed about a year ago:

I agree with the security aspect at Walmart, as I stated above - small entrance, small exit right by the greeter/guard, an employee stationed at the exit, sometimes two, except for troubleshooting and approving alcohol. The checkout stations are arranged in a square and anything not bagged better match your receipt on exit. Seems like around here, anytime a shoplifting incident makes TV news, it involves Walmart...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.