Link: Ranking All 130 College Football Coaching Jobs for 2019 - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

Re: Ranking All 130 College Football Coaching Jobs for 2019

It's not that I just expect or demand that Alabama be #1 on such a list; there are a few reasons why it's justifiable that we wouldn't be, despite our recent run of success. Tuscaloosa is a fine place to live, but its not the beach, for example. Alabama is a decent recruiting state, but its not one of the best, for another example. But those are easily overcome, as its not hard at all to travel to adjacent states which produce tons of high school talent, and the beach is just a few hours away as well.

But, to place Georgia at #1? That's nonsense. Program culture matters, and that's why Alabama has been so good historically, and why Georgia has been so mediocre. I get the talent base in the state is top notch. A coach should be able to fill out his recruiting haul without ever leaving the Atlanta metro. But this has been the case for years.

If actually winning championships is part of the criteria, then Georgia can't be #1. We can talk about potential all day long, and if that's all that matters, sure. You would be hard pressed to find another program with as much yearly potential as Georgia.

BamaNation Third Team

Georgia has to compete recruiting locally with Clemson which is about 1 Hr 15 min up the road. Case in point - Trevor Lawrence is from Cartersville, GA which is northwest of Atlanta.

BamaNation Second Team

Without my clicking on ANYTHING from Athlon, I wonder if there is any consideration given for the support from local high schools in turning out good STUDENT-athletes? Seems to me, the deep south is still all about sports, but more emphasis must be placed on turning out smart young men, too. After having one graduate from a Birmingham area school, I don't see the emphasis on academics for everyone. It's assumed, if you are a good athlete, they will pass you with minimal effort, and keep you moving along. Some of these kids aren't smart enough to get in out of the rain.

I graduated from Muscle Shoals high school a long time ago, 93 to be exact, and I felt that those of us who played sports (football and baseball for me), didn't get any different or special treatment for being athletes. Do the work in the classroom, and strive to do even better. Some of this comes from mom and dad, who were pretty rigid on the books for me, but the teachers didn't let up either. I can think of a biology teacher and a history teacher I had, who particularly worked the athletes in class. Valuable.

BamaNation All-American

Absolutely no way that awbern is the fifteenth best CFB job in America...

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I didn't click the link...so I'm not sure what metrics they used, but here's an inescapable thought:

If in 2007, CNS goes to Georgia or Texas or back to LSU, he probably has multiple NCs today and we probably don't have any or maybe (depending on who we hired) we might have been lucky to have 1.

Don't get me wrong: I think a NC caliber coach and Alabama compliment each other very handsomely, but CNS would have won multiple NC over the last 10 years at several other schools.

I tremble at the thought of what he would have done at Texas if they would have sealed the deal and given him full control.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    I tremble at the thought of what he would have done at Texas if they would have sealed the deal and given him full control.

But that's part of their problem. They are not willing to do so. Georgia has been unwilling to for years as well for some reason. Maybe Kirby is changing that, I don't know.

I hope that we've learned our lesson here. We let Coach Bryant run the show. We got sideways after that, and had a bunch of meddlers, which culminated in the national embarrassment that was the DuBose era (I include the fRAN and Shula years as the aftermath of that saga). Coach Saban was brought in with the promise of being able to run the show his way, and we see how it has paid off.

Texas will never fulfill its potential with the culture they have in place.

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    But that's part of their problem. They are not willing to do so. Georgia has been unwilling to for years as well for some reason. Maybe Kirby is changing that, I don't know.

I hope that we've learned our lesson here. We let Coach Bryant run the show. We got sideways after that, and had a bunch of meddlers, which culminated in the national embarrassment that was the DuBose era (I include the fRAN and Shula years as the aftermath of that saga). Coach Saban was brought in with the promise of being able to run the show his way, and we see how it has paid off.

Texas will never fulfill its potential with the culture they have in place.
    I don't know the full story about CNS and UT, but I think he was probably a lot closer to leaving for Austin than any of us ever knew. Maybe Earle can tell the story, but I would bet the house (if I'm a betting man) that CNS could have convinced them to give him full control if he would have wanted out of Alabama bad enough. My hunch is that CNS finally had to decide if he was a coach that just built programs (which he had proven he could do at LSU and Alabama) or if he was a coach that could also maintain one at a championship level. At that point, the money UT could have paid and/or the raise he got from Bama was probably not the motivating factor he needed. I think when he decided to stay he was thinking about the personal challenge of maintaining and growing the program at Alabama.

I don't know the full story about CNS and UT, but I think he was probably a lot closer to leaving for Austin than any of us ever knew. Maybe Earle can tell the story, but I would bet the house (if I'm a betting man) that CNS could have convinced them to give him full control if he would have wanted out of Alabama bad enough. My hunch is that CNS finally had to decide if he was a coach that just built programs (which he had proven he could do at LSU and Alabama) or if he was a coach that could also maintain one at a championship level. At that point, the money UT could have paid and/or the raise he got from Bama was probably not the motivating factor he needed. I think when he decided to stay he was thinking about the personal challenge of maintaining and growing the program at Alabama.
    You may be right, but I'm just not so sure. I'm referring to the part about Coach being able to convince Texas powers that be to give him full control. I don't think anyone can, because I don't think anyone has a full picture of just how many "players" there are. Maybe Coach could have convinced himself that he had gotten the deal he wanted, but I'm afraid he would have regretted it soon after taking the job. And I'm thankful that he never did. I'm sure you're right about the goal of maintaining a championship level program was a selling point in keeping him here.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by DogPatch View Post
    No way UT is a better job than UGA.
    Agreed Tennessee is as poorly geographically situated as Alabama is well situated. Weak in-state talent pool. Best in-state talent hub is closer to Ole Miss, MSU, and Alabama than Knoxville.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Agreed Tennessee is as poorly geographically situated as Alabama is well situated. Weak in-state talent pool. Best in-state talent hub is closer to Ole Miss, MSU, and Alabama than Knoxville.
    I agree. Tennessee has to recruit nationally to play at a high SEC level. That's what Fulmer did best when he had them clicking.

BamaNation All-American

I agree. Tennessee has to recruit nationally to play at a high SEC level. That's what Fulmer did best when he had them clicking.
    He $ure did...

True. He also benefited from Alabama being run by morons, Georgia was stuck in neutral with Donnan, there was no established coach at North Carolina, South Carolina, and Clemson had Tommy West who never set the woods on fire. IOW, he faced little resistance in neighboring states when he went poaching for talent. Once Georgia got Richt, his power an influence began to wane, and then Saban drove the nail into the coffin.

I'm not sure how things were back when Robert Neyland was their coach. I'm sure they recruited on a national scale, but it was a different time, and a different game. Neyland built them into a southern power but as the demographics and the game changed, they became increasingly dependent on things they could not control. The college football world has shrunk greatly with the explosion of tv coverage and the Internet. I'm not sure Tennessee can ever get back to being what they were in the late 1990s. They are somewhat like Nebraska, although, they do at least have some hope. I think they need their neighbors to be in disarray though, and that does not look like it will be happening any time soon.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Georgia..... the Kings of Next Year