Link: Ranking All 130 College Football Coaching Jobs for 2019

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Athlon ranks the best places to coach in 2019

Debating the best job among all 130 college football teams or within any conference is always an ongoing discussion. The debate doesn’t start with a small sample size but should take into account more of a long-term (both past and future) in order to get a better snapshot of the program. Every college football program is unique and has its own set of challenges. But some programs are clearly better than others.

What exactly determines the best job in a conference or in college football? Each person’s criteria will be different, but some programs already have inherent advantages in terms of location, money and tradition. Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State and Texas are some of the nation’s best jobs, largely due to some of the factors mentioned previously. Do they have their drawbacks? Absolutely. But it’s easier to win a national title at Texas than it is at Oklahoma State. On the flipside, jobs like New Mexico State, UMass and Eastern Michigan have a different set of challenges. Recruiting to remote locations or conference affiliation plays a role in just how tough a job is at the FBS level.

Ranking all 130 college football jobs is no easy task. After all, the rankings are subjective based upon numerous factors, but we have ranked every college football program in the country, based on the attractiveness of the position from a coaching perspective. We considered many factors — tradition, facilities, location, money, ability to recruit talent — but in the end, we simply asked ourselves the following question: Where would we want to coach?

https://athlonsports.com/college-foo...UwMDQ0NTcwNgS2

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If Georgia is so great, why so few SEC and National Championships?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Two of the most successful coaches in the history of the sport — Bear Bryant and Nick Saban — have called Tuscaloosa home. That can’t be a coincidence. The school’s commitment to excellence in football is unparalleled. The only issue at Alabama: The in-state recruiting pool isn’t as deep as you will find at Georgia, Florida and Texas A&M.

Alabama is very centrally situated in the Deep South which in itself is a recruiting advantage. Tuscaloosa is closer to Memphis than Knoxville. The long history of MSU being mostly in disarray affords UA a more prevalent foothold in East Mississippi. UA also has pretty easy access into the Florida Panhandle, Atlanta Metro, and Louisiana. When Alabama is in a lull, yeah, the recruiting talent pool in-state becomes an exacerbating factor. When Alabama is winning, they dip into all the states around them. They might not always get the top guy out of GA, LA, MS, or FL but they're filling out the gaps left by the in-state talent pool. The big difference with Saban and Bryant is that they took the recruiting far more national than normal.

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
Alabama is very centrally situated in the Deep South which in itself is a recruiting advantage. Tuscaloosa is closer to Memphis than Knoxville. The long history of MSU being mostly in disarray affords UA a more prevalent foothold in East Mississippi. UA also has pretty easy access into the Florida Panhandle, Atlanta Metro, and Louisiana. When Alabama is in a lull, yeah, the recruiting talent pool in-state becomes an exacerbating factor. When Alabama is winning, they dip into all the states around them. They might not always get the top guy out of GA, LA, MS, or FL but they're filling out the gaps left by the in-state talent pool. The big difference with Saban and Bryant is that they took the recruiting far more national than normal.
Nobody seems to rate the State of Alabama's high school talent all that high but the fact is over a long period of time other schools have done well in their respective divisions. Alabama and Auburn aren't the only SEC schools that recruit Alabama, they all do.

I was in a southeast Alabama restaurant back in the mid-80's and a guy asked if he could join me. Turns out he was a coach from Southern Mississippi scouting and recruiting the area. According to him they were able to get a lot of players from smaller schools in the area that were overlooked by Alabama and Auburn. Anybody recall how tough Southern Miss always played us?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
To save you a click...

1. UGA
2. Alabama
15. API
130. New Mexico State

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
I read the SEC ranking first and then I knew this list was a waste of time and bandwidth. Georgia isn't top 5, much less #1. In no order, Alabama, Florida, Texas A&M, LSU, and Tennessee are better jobs than UGA. Kirby will be the best coach they have had since Dooley and he'll be Dooley 2.0. He'll stay 25 years and maybe win one NC and get close a handful of times.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I read the SEC ranking first and then I knew this list was a waste of time and bandwidth. Georgia isn't top 5, much less #1. In no order, Alabama, Florida, Texas A&M, LSU, and Tennessee are better jobs than UGA. Kirby will be the best coach they have had since Dooley and he'll be Dooley 2.0. He'll stay 25 years and maybe win one NC and get close a handful of times.
No way UT is a better job than UGA.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
To be fair, Kirby has already accomplished "getting close" which may or may not be good for his long term tenure. He's now got to fish or cut bait. Anything less than an SECE champion/or CFP appearence will be viewed as failure. He's basically coached himself into "Alabama expectations" without the benefits of having an off year.

FWIW, I think Georgia will probably break thru and win a NC in the next few years, but if UT or Florida ever get back to SEC championship level, it'll be less likely.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Scratching my head on the UGA ranking at #1. I'm not even sure we're really #2 (top 10 yes, but there are some weaknesses if we take off crimson glasses).

I guess UGA is there b/c every year your fans will woof at everybody all season (and off season) until they get kicked in the rear and then crawl back under a table yelping. UTx & UGA are great at doing the least with the most. Fan bases are insufferable.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It's not that I just expect or demand that Alabama be #1 on such a list; there are a few reasons why it's justifiable that we wouldn't be, despite our recent run of success. Tuscaloosa is a fine place to live, but its not the beach, for example. Alabama is a decent recruiting state, but its not one of the best, for another example. But those are easily overcome, as its not hard at all to travel to adjacent states which produce tons of high school talent, and the beach is just a few hours away as well.

But, to place Georgia at #1? That's nonsense. Program culture matters, and that's why Alabama has been so good historically, and why Georgia has been so mediocre. I get the talent base in the state is top notch. A coach should be able to fill out his recruiting haul without ever leaving the Atlanta metro. But this has been the case for years.

If actually winning championships is part of the criteria, then Georgia can't be #1. We can talk about potential all day long, and if that's all that matters, sure. You would be hard pressed to find another program with as much yearly potential as Georgia.

WildTusk

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 26, 2009
Georgia has to compete recruiting locally with Clemson which is about 1 Hr 15 min up the road. Case in point - Trevor Lawrence is from Cartersville, GA which is northwest of Atlanta.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Without my clicking on ANYTHING from Athlon, I wonder if there is any consideration given for the support from local high schools in turning out good STUDENT-athletes? Seems to me, the deep south is still all about sports, but more emphasis must be placed on turning out smart young men, too. After having one graduate from a Birmingham area school, I don't see the emphasis on academics for everyone. It's assumed, if you are a good athlete, they will pass you with minimal effort, and keep you moving along. Some of these kids aren't smart enough to get in out of the rain.

I graduated from Muscle Shoals high school a long time ago, 93 to be exact, and I felt that those of us who played sports (football and baseball for me), didn't get any different or special treatment for being athletes. Do the work in the classroom, and strive to do even better. Some of this comes from mom and dad, who were pretty rigid on the books for me, but the teachers didn't let up either. I can think of a biology teacher and a history teacher I had, who particularly worked the athletes in class. Valuable.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Absolutely no way that awbern is the fifteenth best CFB job in America... :rolleye2:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I didn't click the link...so I'm not sure what metrics they used, but here's an inescapable thought:

If in 2007, CNS goes to Georgia or Texas or back to LSU, he probably has multiple NCs today and we probably don't have any or maybe (depending on who we hired) we might have been lucky to have 1.

Don't get me wrong: I think a NC caliber coach and Alabama compliment each other very handsomely, but CNS would have won multiple NC over the last 10 years at several other schools.

I tremble at the thought of what he would have done at Texas if they would have sealed the deal and given him full control.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I tremble at the thought of what he would have done at Texas if they would have sealed the deal and given him full control.

But that's part of their problem. They are not willing to do so. Georgia has been unwilling to for years as well for some reason. Maybe Kirby is changing that, I don't know.

I hope that we've learned our lesson here. We let Coach Bryant run the show. We got sideways after that, and had a bunch of meddlers, which culminated in the national embarrassment that was the DuBose era (I include the fRAN and Shula years as the aftermath of that saga). Coach Saban was brought in with the promise of being able to run the show his way, and we see how it has paid off.

Texas will never fulfill its potential with the culture they have in place.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
But that's part of their problem. They are not willing to do so. Georgia has been unwilling to for years as well for some reason. Maybe Kirby is changing that, I don't know.

I hope that we've learned our lesson here. We let Coach Bryant run the show. We got sideways after that, and had a bunch of meddlers, which culminated in the national embarrassment that was the DuBose era (I include the fRAN and Shula years as the aftermath of that saga). Coach Saban was brought in with the promise of being able to run the show his way, and we see how it has paid off.

Texas will never fulfill its potential with the culture they have in place.
I don't know the full story about CNS and UT, but I think he was probably a lot closer to leaving for Austin than any of us ever knew. Maybe Earle can tell the story, but I would bet the house (if I'm a betting man) that CNS could have convinced them to give him full control if he would have wanted out of Alabama bad enough. My hunch is that CNS finally had to decide if he was a coach that just built programs (which he had proven he could do at LSU and Alabama) or if he was a coach that could also maintain one at a championship level. At that point, the money UT could have paid and/or the raise he got from Bama was probably not the motivating factor he needed. I think when he decided to stay he was thinking about the personal challenge of maintaining and growing the program at Alabama.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.