Link: Ranking All 130 College Football Coaching Jobs for 2019

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don't know the full story about CNS and UT, but I think he was probably a lot closer to leaving for Austin than any of us ever knew. Maybe Earle can tell the story, but I would bet the house (if I'm a betting man) that CNS could have convinced them to give him full control if he would have wanted out of Alabama bad enough. My hunch is that CNS finally had to decide if he was a coach that just built programs (which he had proven he could do at LSU and Alabama) or if he was a coach that could also maintain one at a championship level. At that point, the money UT could have paid and/or the raise he got from Bama was probably not the motivating factor he needed. I think when he decided to stay he was thinking about the personal challenge of maintaining and growing the program at Alabama.
You may be right, but I'm just not so sure. I'm referring to the part about Coach being able to convince Texas powers that be to give him full control. I don't think anyone can, because I don't think anyone has a full picture of just how many "players" there are. Maybe Coach could have convinced himself that he had gotten the deal he wanted, but I'm afraid he would have regretted it soon after taking the job. And I'm thankful that he never did. I'm sure you're right about the goal of maintaining a championship level program was a selling point in keeping him here.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
No way UT is a better job than UGA.
Agreed Tennessee is as poorly geographically situated as Alabama is well situated. Weak in-state talent pool. Best in-state talent hub is closer to Ole Miss, MSU, and Alabama than Knoxville.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Agreed Tennessee is as poorly geographically situated as Alabama is well situated. Weak in-state talent pool. Best in-state talent hub is closer to Ole Miss, MSU, and Alabama than Knoxville.
I agree. Tennessee has to recruit nationally to play at a high SEC level. That's what Fulmer did best when he had them clicking.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I agree. Tennessee has to recruit nationally to play at a high SEC level. That's what Fulmer did best when he had them clicking.
True. He also benefited from Alabama being run by morons, Georgia was stuck in neutral with Donnan, there was no established coach at North Carolina, South Carolina, and Clemson had Tommy West who never set the woods on fire. IOW, he faced little resistance in neighboring states when he went poaching for talent. Once Georgia got Richt, his power an influence began to wane, and then Saban drove the nail into the coffin.

I'm not sure how things were back when Robert Neyland was their coach. I'm sure they recruited on a national scale, but it was a different time, and a different game. Neyland built them into a southern power but as the demographics and the game changed, they became increasingly dependent on things they could not control. The college football world has shrunk greatly with the explosion of tv coverage and the Internet. I'm not sure Tennessee can ever get back to being what they were in the late 1990s. They are somewhat like Nebraska, although, they do at least have some hope. I think they need their neighbors to be in disarray though, and that does not look like it will be happening any time soon.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Jimbo has a higher ceiling than Gus...and has an NC on his resume .
Without Deshaun Dabo is still a great coach.... Without Jamies Jimbo is an average coach. If he didn’t have Jamies he wouldn’t have beaten Gus that night and probably wouldn’t have been there in the first place.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Without Deshaun Dabo is still a great coach.... Without Jamies Jimbo is an average coach. If he didn’t have Jamies he wouldn’t have beaten Gus that night and probably wouldn’t have been there in the first place.
The same could be said of $cam, Chiz and Gus in 2010...

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
If Georgia is so great, why so few SEC and National Championships?
Probably for the same reasons the Falcons squandered an 80 point lead in the Super Bowl to the Patriots a few years ago. The dice never seem to fall quite right and we're really good at blowing holes in our own feet.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think UGA is definitely a top 10 job and perhaps even top 5 considering the continued population growth in Georgia. They're sorta like a Deep South version of UT-Austin though. By all rights Texas ought to be one of the premier programs year to year but Oklahoma has done a far better job of maintaining that status despite having to go into Texas high schools to build their program. I think the Alabama-Georgia relationship is very similar to the Oklahoma-Texas one. Inexplicably the smaller state school right next to them is the alpha and it has been that way historically speaking for so long that it is unlikely to change on the balance (though certainly there are "low tides" at times). The perpetual motion machine of program success, ya know?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
So now you are saying Chizik is equal to Jimbo, but yet Jimbo has a way higher ceiling even though Gus has a far better record than Chizik?
Geez! Where do you get that?!? Not at all! (Go back and read what I was responding to.)

Chiz AND Gus benefitted from $cam and rode it to raises and acclaim.

I am saying that Chiz and Gus are NOT better than Jimbo. I think that Jimbo is a much better coach than either of them. Jimbo has been at aTm for what, one season? He was a very good hire for the potential that aTm has as a (IMO) sleeping giant.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Geez! Where do you get that?!? Not at all! (Go back and read what I was responding to.)
Because you needlessly brought it up. I clearly said Dabo doesn't have to have an once in a generation quarterback to win a national championship because he can find another, and Jimbo is average because it seems all of his success is based around 1 quarterback and a weak schedule. What does bringing up Cam Newton add to your argument other than say "Chiz's whole success is based around one quarterback too"? If anything it cripples your argument because you have to address the leftover facts that 1) Gus can win the SEC with a Db as his qb and 2) he can get to a national championship with a DB as his qb while facing a far tougher schedule. It really makes Gus look way better than Jimbo.

I am saying that Chiz and Gus are NOT better than Jimbo. I think that Jimbo is a much better coach than either of them...

Well there are far better ways to argue that, but trying to cancel Gus out with Cam isn't one of them because you are still going to have to prove Nick Marshall is equal to Jamies and the ACC is equal to the SEC. I don't think anyone would say either is true.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Because you needlessly brought it up. I clearly said Dabo doesn't have to have an once in a generation quarterback to win a national championship because he can find another, and Jimbo is average because it seems all of his success is based around 1 quarterback and a weak schedule. What does bringing up Cam Newton add to your argument other than say "Chiz's whole success is based around one quarterback too"? If anything it cripples your argument because you have to address the leftover facts that 1) Gus can win the SEC with a Db as his qb and 2) he can get to a national championship with a DB as his qb while facing a far tougher schedule. It really makes Gus look way better than Jimbo.

Well there are far better ways to argue that, but trying to cancel Gus out with Cam isn't one of them because you are still going to have to prove Nick Marshall is equal to Jamies and the ACC is equal to the SEC. I don't think anyone would say either is true.
Again, go back to the post that I was responding too....... smh

And......I wasn't even talking about the Marshall season. But since you brought it up, those two "pull it out of your butt" games that got them into the BCSCG is a whole 'nother topic altogether. It wasn't because of "brilliant" coaching...

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Again, go back to the post that I was responding too....... smh
Ive read, maybe you should go back and re-read them yourself. But Ill save you the trouble.

Without Deshaun Dabo is still a great coach.... Without Jamies Jimbo is an average coach. If he didn’t have Jamies he wouldn’t have beaten Gus that night and probably wouldn’t have been there in the first place
Where is CHIZIK ever mentioned? This is referencing Jamies was the reason Jimbo winning a national championship in the 1st place. So This is a Gus 2013 vs Jimbo discussion meaning we are talking about Nick Marshall not Cam Newton. So bringing up Cam Newton brings absolutely nothing to your argument against Jimbo being an average coach.

And......I wasn't even talking about the Marshall season..

Well you actually were by acknowledging Jimbo only has a championship because of Jamies instead of bringing evidence to counter that claim I made.

But since you brought it up, those two "pull it out of your butt" games that got them into the BCSCG is a whole 'nother topic altogether. It wasn't because of "brilliant" coaching...

Oh geez... Is this the part that you say "Auburn sucks so they cant win games unless they are lucky"? Do you really want to complain about luck when you are tasked with defending Jamies Winston to prove Jimbo is infinitely better than Gus?

FWIW Jimbo is better than Gus... but his resume and NC aren't the reasons why. As for a ceiling... I think they are about equal... "competing for 2nd for the SECW in most years, and lucking out and winning it every now and then".

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.