SEC Tourney tie breaker
Thanks Thanks:  0 Dislike Dislike:  0 Roll Tide! Roll Tide!:  0 Ha Ha! Ha Ha!:  0
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    BamaNation All-American WylieTexasTider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,474

    SEC Tourney tie breaker

    Anyone know the tiebreaker rules? Watching our game VS aTm today, they announcers were talking about scenarios and unless I heard wrong, they said in a 3 way tie with USC and KY we would be 3rd. Therefore, by losing today we basically need to take 2 or 3 from UGA next weekend. I know we have the tie breaker on USC. USC has it on KY.
    "What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment."-Nick Saban

  2. #2
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    749

    Re: SEC Tourney tie breaker

    If they said that, they were wrong. Right now, due to tiebreakers, we are in the 12 seed.

    Basically it breaks down like this:

    1. Vandy (best record)
    2. Arkansas (West leader)
    3. Mississippi St
    4. Georgia
    5. Ole Miss
    6. LSU
    7. Texas A&M
    8. Missouri
    9. Auburn
    10. Tennessee
    11. Florida
    12. Alabama
    ----------------------
    13. South Carolina
    14. Kentucky

    Bama, SCar, UK both have identical 7-20 records, so it goes to the 3-team tiebreaker. They didn't all face each other (UA vs SCar, SCar vs UK, but not UA vs UK), so it goes to the 2.B tiebreaker scenario, using record versus seeds 1-14 using common opponents only. The only common opponents (currently) are Texas A&M and Florida (in that order because TAMU is the 7 seed, UF is the 11). Bama and SCar both went 1-2 against TAMU, while UK went 0-3, so that eliminates UK, bringing it down to a two-team tiebreaker with Bama and SCar. Since Bama took 2-3 from SCar, Bama wins the tiebreaker and gets the 12 seed.

    After next weekend, the common opponents grows to include both UGA and Vandy, and since Vandy is the highest seed all teams will have faced, we need UK to get swept like we did, while taking one from UGA.

    So basically, to get in we need any of the following to happen:
    1. UK to get swept by Vandy. UA gets one against UGA and matches SCar in wins next weekend.
    2. However many wins UK gets against Vandy, UA needs to win that plus one more against UGA, with SCar not sweeping Miss St.

    I don't see us taking 2 from UGA, so it looks like we're all going to need to be Vandy fans next weekend.
    Last edited by baseballfanatic; May 13th, 2019 at 10:59 AM.

  3. #3
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    12,332

    Re: SEC Tourney tie breaker

    There should only be eight teams in the tournament.






    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    749

    Re: SEC Tourney tie breaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    There should only be eight teams in the tournament.
    I'd be ok with 10, but think 12 is excessive.

  5. #5
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    749

    Re: SEC Tourney tie breaker

    Quote Originally Posted by baseballfanatic View Post
    If they said that, they were wrong. Right now, due to tiebreakers, we are in the 12 seed.

    Basically it breaks down like this:

    1. Vandy (best record)
    2. Arkansas (West leader)
    3. Mississippi St
    4. Georgia
    5. Ole Miss
    6. LSU
    7. Texas A&M
    8. Missouri
    9. Auburn
    10. Tennessee
    11. Florida
    12. Alabama
    ----------------------
    13. South Carolina
    14. Kentucky

    Bama, SCar, UK both have identical 7-20 records, so it goes to the 3-team tiebreaker. They didn't all face each other (UA vs SCar, SCar vs UK, but not UA vs UK), so it goes to the 2.B tiebreaker scenario, using record versus seeds 1-14 using common opponents only. The only common opponents (currently) are Texas A&M and Florida (in that order because TAMU is the 7 seed, UF is the 11). Bama and SCar both went 1-2 against TAMU, while UK went 0-3, so that eliminates UK, bringing it down to a two-team tiebreaker with Bama and SCar. Since Bama took 2-3 from SCar, Bama wins the tiebreaker and gets the 12 seed.

    After next weekend, the common opponents grows to include both UGA and Vandy, and since Vandy is the highest seed all teams will have faced, we need UK to get swept like we did, while taking one from UGA.

    So basically, to get in we need any of the following to happen:
    1. UK to get swept by Vandy. UA gets one against UGA and matches SCar in wins next weekend.
    2. However many wins UK gets against Vandy, UA needs to win that plus one more against UGA, with SCar not sweeping Miss St.

    I don't see us taking 2 from UGA, so it looks like we're all going to need to be Vandy fans next weekend.
    I hate being wrong, but it looks like I am.

    I thought we could just skate by with all three teams getting swept next weekend, but since UK took 1-2 from UGA, and UGA being the 4-seed (higher than TAMU), UK would take the 3-team tiebreaker and get the 12 seed. If we both win one next weekend, UK would still win the tiebreaker because they'll have gone 1-2 against the number 1 seed, while we went 0-3.

    So we can't finish in a tie with UK, unless somehow TAMU gets seeded ahead of UGA. We need to take at least one from UGA regardless, and then after that we need to win one more than UK wins against Vandy.
    Last edited by baseballfanatic; May 13th, 2019 at 11:19 AM.

  6. #6
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    749

    Re: SEC Tourney tie breaker

    On the bright side, weirdly enough, we may have the "better" path even though it's on the road. UGA's starting pitching is a little banged up. Maybe even enough to allow us to score some runs.

  7. #7
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    12,332

    Re: SEC Tourney tie breaker

    Quote Originally Posted by baseballfanatic View Post
    I'd be ok with 10, but think 12 is excessive.
    That would be fine if you had the bottom four have a one game play in to get to the main bracket.

    But the league is more interested in selling tickets and hotels in Hoover than saving arms for the regionals.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    BamaNation All-SEC gman4tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Flint Creek
    Posts
    1,496

    Re: SEC Tourney tie breaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    That would be fine if you had the bottom four have a one game play in to get to the main bracket.

    But the league is more interested in selling tickets and hotels in Hoover than saving arms for the regionals.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was gonna say the same thing. Follow the money, that's what it's all about.

  9. #9
    BamaNation All-American ReturnToGlory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Blakely, Georgia
    Posts
    3,116

    Re: SEC Tourney tie breaker

    I'd like to see a single elimination tournament. Save on the arms.

  10. #10
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brewton, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    269

    Re: SEC Tourney tie breaker

    All 3 (Alabama, Kentucky and South Carolina) lost tonight. So, that at least eliminates South Carolina from sweeping Mississippi St.

    Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    BamaNation All-American edwd58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,674

    Re: SEC Tourney tie breaker

    I think it's down to this simple scenario; we need a win and a UK loss. UGA is going to pitch their young phenon that has been sidelined by an injury for a while. I'm not sure we have any arms left - at least any capable of keeping the UGA bats at bay. Better days are coming...
    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear