SEC Tourney tie breaker

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Anyone know the tiebreaker rules? Watching our game VS aTm today, they announcers were talking about scenarios and unless I heard wrong, they said in a 3 way tie with USC and KY we would be 3rd. Therefore, by losing today we basically need to take 2 or 3 from UGA next weekend. I know we have the tie breaker on USC. USC has it on KY.

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
If they said that, they were wrong. Right now, due to tiebreakers, we are in the 12 seed.

Basically it breaks down like this:

1. Vandy (best record)
2. Arkansas (West leader)
3. Mississippi St
4. Georgia
5. Ole Miss
6. LSU
7. Texas A&M
8. Missouri
9. Auburn
10. Tennessee
11. Florida
12. Alabama
----------------------
13. South Carolina
14. Kentucky

Bama, SCar, UK both have identical 7-20 records, so it goes to the 3-team tiebreaker. They didn't all face each other (UA vs SCar, SCar vs UK, but not UA vs UK), so it goes to the 2.B tiebreaker scenario, using record versus seeds 1-14 using common opponents only. The only common opponents (currently) are Texas A&M and Florida (in that order because TAMU is the 7 seed, UF is the 11). Bama and SCar both went 1-2 against TAMU, while UK went 0-3, so that eliminates UK, bringing it down to a two-team tiebreaker with Bama and SCar. Since Bama took 2-3 from SCar, Bama wins the tiebreaker and gets the 12 seed.

After next weekend, the common opponents grows to include both UGA and Vandy, and since Vandy is the highest seed all teams will have faced, we need UK to get swept like we did, while taking one from UGA.

So basically, to get in we need any of the following to happen:
1. UK to get swept by Vandy. UA gets one against UGA and matches SCar in wins next weekend.
2. However many wins UK gets against Vandy, UA needs to win that plus one more against UGA, with SCar not sweeping Miss St.

I don't see us taking 2 from UGA, so it looks like we're all going to need to be Vandy fans next weekend.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
There should only be eight teams in the tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
If they said that, they were wrong. Right now, due to tiebreakers, we are in the 12 seed.

Basically it breaks down like this:

1. Vandy (best record)
2. Arkansas (West leader)
3. Mississippi St
4. Georgia
5. Ole Miss
6. LSU
7. Texas A&M
8. Missouri
9. Auburn
10. Tennessee
11. Florida
12. Alabama
----------------------
13. South Carolina
14. Kentucky

Bama, SCar, UK both have identical 7-20 records, so it goes to the 3-team tiebreaker. They didn't all face each other (UA vs SCar, SCar vs UK, but not UA vs UK), so it goes to the 2.B tiebreaker scenario, using record versus seeds 1-14 using common opponents only. The only common opponents (currently) are Texas A&M and Florida (in that order because TAMU is the 7 seed, UF is the 11). Bama and SCar both went 1-2 against TAMU, while UK went 0-3, so that eliminates UK, bringing it down to a two-team tiebreaker with Bama and SCar. Since Bama took 2-3 from SCar, Bama wins the tiebreaker and gets the 12 seed.

After next weekend, the common opponents grows to include both UGA and Vandy, and since Vandy is the highest seed all teams will have faced, we need UK to get swept like we did, while taking one from UGA.

So basically, to get in we need any of the following to happen:
1. UK to get swept by Vandy. UA gets one against UGA and matches SCar in wins next weekend.
2. However many wins UK gets against Vandy, UA needs to win that plus one more against UGA, with SCar not sweeping Miss St.

I don't see us taking 2 from UGA, so it looks like we're all going to need to be Vandy fans next weekend.
I hate being wrong, but it looks like I am.

I thought we could just skate by with all three teams getting swept next weekend, but since UK took 1-2 from UGA, and UGA being the 4-seed (higher than TAMU), UK would take the 3-team tiebreaker and get the 12 seed. If we both win one next weekend, UK would still win the tiebreaker because they'll have gone 1-2 against the number 1 seed, while we went 0-3.

So we can't finish in a tie with UK, unless somehow TAMU gets seeded ahead of UGA. We need to take at least one from UGA regardless, and then after that we need to win one more than UK wins against Vandy.

Last edited:

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
On the bright side, weirdly enough, we may have the "better" path even though it's on the road. UGA's starting pitching is a little banged up. Maybe even enough to allow us to score some runs.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'd be ok with 10, but think 12 is excessive.
That would be fine if you had the bottom four have a one game play in to get to the main bracket.

But the league is more interested in selling tickets and hotels in Hoover than saving arms for the regionals.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
That would be fine if you had the bottom four have a one game play in to get to the main bracket.

But the league is more interested in selling tickets and hotels in Hoover than saving arms for the regionals.

I was gonna say the same thing. Follow the money, that's what it's all about.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
I think it's down to this simple scenario; we need a win and a UK loss. UGA is going to pitch their young phenon that has been sidelined by an injury for a while. I'm not sure we have any arms left - at least any capable of keeping the UGA bats at bay. Better days are coming...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.