Why will the Alabama defense be better/worse/the same under Golding? Make your case! - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Re: Why will the Alabama defense be better/worse/the same under Golding? Make your ca

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Probably because there was a lot of speculation that he was calling plays from midseason on.
    This is why I don't have as much confidence as some on this site.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Re: Why will the Alabama defense be better/worse/the same under Golding? Make your ca

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    Here's how I'm viewing this. Coach Saban has publicly praised him about his football IQ so to speak. Unless I missed it, it is still speculation that Golding was calling the plays midseason on. If he was and Coach Saban is still able heap praise on him as a coach after the fact and promote him to DC. Then either we're missing a piece of the puzzle from a fan's standpoint or Coach Saban is starting to slip.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Here's how I'm viewing this. Coach Saban has publicly praised him about his football IQ so to speak. Unless I missed it, it is still speculation that Golding was calling the plays midseason on. If he was and Coach Saban is still able heap praise on him as a coach after the fact and promote him to DC. Then either we're missing a piece of the puzzle from a fan's standpoint or Coach Saban is starting to slip.
    I am betting that we the fans are missing something.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

The competition did improve drastically over the second half of the season, especially the last 3 games. So there is that. Also, the defense may have slipped too far into disarray to have been saved by that point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    The competition did improve drastically over the second half of the season, especially the last 3 games. So there is that. Also, the defense may have slipped too far into disarray to have been saved by that point in time.
    I'm also one who believes the problem wasn't all coaching (though I think the majority of it was). I think there were some players who never fully understood the intricacies of the defense and never improved as the season went on. I can name two that seemed to be lost on the pre-set of a lot of defensive snaps.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Yes, I expect defense to improve under Golding. Last year there was too much confusion going on with Tosh and Peter. When Tosh gave up playcalling to Peter, it was too late to make adjustments on the field because at that point, they were like halfway into season. With full offseason under Golding's belt and with better mentor from experienced coaches, I expect Golding to be real good with playcalling this fall. Lot of things that went wrong with defense were mostly on coaching, development of the players and lack of efforts from some players. So that should be corrected and we will be okay.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

You have to keep that in mind that We really don't know what went on behind the scene. Who developed the game plan? Who called the plays during the game?

After some early struggles during the season, Saban stripped Lupoi of defensive play-calling responsibilities and handed them over to co-defensive coordinator Pete Golding, according to sources
    Saban had poached Golding from UT-San Antonio in the offseason in part to alleviate concerns about Lupoi’s inexperience with the secondary and as a play-caller. Still, word is Lupoi seemed overwhelmed during practices and didn’t totally grasp situational play-calling. While he was still heavily involved in the defensive game-planning, there was no question Golding taking over play-calling represented a demotion of sorts for Lupoi barely into the start of his defensive coordinator stint.
    source: https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2...-expected.html

We don't know what game Golding took over the playcalling, but if you look at the stats for the first 5 games: We really struggled to stop the total offense of opponent such as Lousiville, Arkansas State, TAMU, Louisiana and I think and this is my guess that Golding took over the playcalling from that point on. Our run defense improved significantly until Citadel game and after them, our run game suffered for the next five game. Our passing game since Citadel suffered as well.

Bottom line: I think Golding made adjustments and we did improved, but in the final few games, the team lost focus and we played sloppy for a while. With the experienced staff, the team should be more focused, and their fundamental skill should be improved.

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    You have to keep that in mind that We really don't know what went on behind the scene. Who developed the game plan? Who called the plays during the game?

source: https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2...-expected.html

We don't know what game Golding took over the playcalling, but if you look at the stats for the first 5 games: We really struggled to stop the total offense of opponent such as Lousiville, Arkansas State, TAMU, Louisiana and I think and this is my guess that Golding took over the playcalling from that point on. Our run defense improved significantly until Citadel game and after them, our run game suffered for the next five game. Our passing game since Citadel suffered as well.

Bottom line: I think Golding made adjustments and we did improved, but in the final few games, the team lost focus and we played sloppy for a while. With the experienced staff, the team should be more focused, and their fundamental skill should be improved.
    I would hope the Arkansas game was the tipping point. We gave up 30+ to a not very good Arkie team.

Roll Tide Roll

It was the Arkansas game that I realized we had problems on the defense and IMO, it very well may have been after that game that a move was made at defensive play calling. I vividly remember the number of plays that our guys not only looked lost before the snap, but confirmed it after the snap with busted play after busted play.

It was the Arkansas game that I realized we had problems on the defense and IMO, it very well may have been after that game that a move was made at defensive play calling. I vividly remember the number of plays that our guys not only looked lost before the snap, but confirmed it after the snap with busted play after busted play.
    and if you were vocal about it here, you got labeled an eeyore.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

and if you were vocal about it here, you got labeled an eeyore.
    Or told Savion Smith was better or just as good as Diggs so there is no need to worry. I had the same feeling that I had about the 2014 defense in that we looked great against bad or average offenses, but the proof was in the pudding that if we ever had to face a competent offense that we were going to rely on our offense to outscore them.
    Last edited by 81usaf92; May 13th, 2019 at 11:52 AM.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    I thought we had an attitude problem toward the end of the season.
    Some guys didn't play hard, because they were sure someone else would...
    (Just because we could run over 'The Sisters of the Poor', didn't mean we could run over Georgia, and Clemson...)
    Like some of our coaches, I think some of the guys were planning an exit.
    AND... Injuries took a toll on our team.

Diggs Injury didn't help either.....