Why will the Alabama defense be better/worse/the same under Golding? Make your case! - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Why will the Alabama defense be better/worse/the same under Golding? Make your ca

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJeff View Post
    From a talent standpoint they may be ahead of last year's team based on where they finished, but that's not saying a whole lot.

Seriously, how much of an eeyore can you be?

Re: Why will the Alabama defense be better/worse/the same under Golding? Make your ca

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Seriously, how much of an eeyore can you be?
    "That was the greatest Bama defense I ever done saw! They'd put the '85 bears to shame! Yee haw!"

Is that what you want?

I'll stick to giving my opinion.
    ----
    B.A. from The University of Alabama (during the Fran/Shula years) so don't question my fandom.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJeff View Post
    "That was the greatest Bama defense I ever done saw! They'd put the '85 bears to shame! Yee haw!"

Is that what you want?

I'll stick to giving my opinion.

Yea, because that's the only alternative here...
    Last edited by RollTide_HTTR; May 14th, 2019 at 10:46 AM.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Alright, everyone got their comments in, let's move on.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Wait and see mode here - I haven't seen anything from PG that makes me believe he's the next great DC at Bama, but i'm hopeful.
    Yea i agree with this on PG. Saban seems to like him which gives me hope. He must be doing something right that the rest of us don't see. Just not sure what it is.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Yea i agree with this on PG. Saban seems to like him which gives me hope. He must be doing something right that the rest of us don't see. Just not sure what it is.
    Agreed, which may point to some of the problem being the lack of development or "catching on" by the player or certain players.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame

The peaks and valleys of our defense seem to mostly hinge on the experience of the defense backfield. Since we don't run simpler scheme stuff to negate the spread, our ability to contain it hinges on talent and experience. Hard to argue with a man who has 6 national titles but we probably could've scheme changed to something like what Dantonio runs at Sparty (quarters heavy 43 base defense) and won an additional title or two just off better backend containment of the spread.

Seems like our secondary will be better than last year so I suspect our fortunes will fare better.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation All-American

To state the obvious, this is the same Nick Saban who a year ago dismantled his coaching staff, hyped the rebuild, then tore it down again. At this point, skepticism is in order. I don't think we would be out of line to withhold judgment on Golding for now.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    To state the obvious, this is the same Nick Saban who a year ago dismantled his coaching staff, hyped the rebuild, then tore it down again. At this point, skepticism is in order. I don't think we would be out of line to withhold judgment on Golding for now.
    Nick Saban didn't tear down the rebuild. He wanted Enos and Gattis to remain position coaches. They wanted to be coordinators, so they left on their own. Tosh took the DC job a year too early. He knew it. Saban knew it. The price of recruiting sometimes is to keep a coach that might not be properly suited for the duties (original plan was for JP to stay another year and groom Tosh for the 2019 season). That was the case with Tosh. Kool's style apparently didn't mess well with Saban, so he was gone on his own. Key was the main guy Saban pushed out the door after the season.

That's not really Saban tearing it down.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

FB|BB Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Key was the main guy Saban pushed out the door after the season.
    I hate it turned out that way, but the move with the OL coach was at least a year overdue. We’ve had NFL-level talent in the OL for several years, but have under-achieved it, across enough turnover in personnel that it’s clear players weren’t the issue.

Consistent problems in short yardage (despite multiple RBs now in the NFL) and spotty ones in pass protection. Against good teams, our OL could be positively pedestrian, never mind multiple draft choices after the season was over.

Regardless of why, it’s clear the predecessor wasn’t a good fit. We and he needed the change.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

I don't believe talent all over the field is a problem. The problem, as I see it, is player attrition and coaching turnover. A 5 star recruits signs with Alabama, enrolls early and participates in spring ball. He plays some on special teams as a true freshman, and possibly in games against FCS opponents. His second year he gains more playing time and may actually start some games or is a first in sub. His junior year he is a seasoned starter, has a breakout year and is gone to the NFL.

As for coaching turnover, it hurts continuity in teaching and I believe it also affects overall team morale. As for Golding, he is still an unproven quantity, but I feel he has great potential. Not sure the defense will be markedly better than last year.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    I hate it turned out that way, but the move with the OL coach was at least a year overdue. We’ve had NFL-level talent in the OL for several years, but have under-achieved it, across enough turnover in personnel that it’s clear players weren’t the issue.

Consistent problems in short yardage (despite multiple RBs now in the NFL) and spotty ones in pass protection. Against good teams, our OL could be positively pedestrian, never mind multiple draft choices after the season was over.

Regardless of why, it’s clear the predecessor wasn’t a good fit. We and he needed the change.
    I know he wasn't very popular after his first year or two, but I wonder how Cristobal would have done with the last two OLs. Remember, he coached TEs and Ts when Key was first hired (2016). Saw vast improvement in OJ Howard's blocking in that one year. Mario brought the NFL guys Key coached in while he had to coach the lesser OLs Jeff Stoutland signed.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post

just like the discussion of the defense, the OL performance can sometimes come down to one player being a weak link, especially with the zone blocking schemes that we run which require the OL to execute combo-blocks with a lot of timing. In other words, if there are 4 guys with NFL talent, but one that for whatever reason doesn't execute correctly, the unit as a whole won't perform as well as they could.