Why will the Alabama defense be better/worse/the same under Golding? Make your case! - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Re: Why will the Alabama defense be better/worse/the same under Golding? Make your ca

I'm going to go with "better," with fingers crossed, just because Saban almost never makes the same mistake twice...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Re: Why will the Alabama defense be better/worse/the same under Golding? Make your ca

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I'm going to go with "better," with fingers crossed, just because Saban almost never makes the same mistake twice...
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    You have a point...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    He did say "almost"...
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    He did say "almost"...
    Didn't Muschamp finally unload him?
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Didn't Muschamp finally unload him?
    Don't know, don't care.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I think that he probably was calling the defense at the end of the season, but maybe not. I do know that he coached your ILBs and they all regressed last year significantly - all of them.

I tend to agree. Im open to being persuaded, but so far Im not impressed at all with Golding.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation All-American PA Tide Fan's Avatar

I think the defense will be somewhat better in 2019 but it may be hard to say if it is because of Golding or because the players have more experience. The defense a year ago was very "green" and CNS even said before last season we'd need to score points. I think we would have struggled with any DC last season. We have more experience now and if we stay healthy it should be a good Bama defense but probably not an elite Bama defense.
    Last edited by PA Tide Fan; May 16th, 2019 at 10:35 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Don't know, don't care.
    Now you know, can't do anything about the care part.

https://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...225923875.html
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Now you know, can't do anything about the care part.

https://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...225923875.html
    He always seems to find a landing spot. He sure did us a lot of damage with off-field antics...

BamaNation First Team

If you look at the best CNS defenses at Bama they have had one thing in common, an experienced secondary. This team should have a more experienced secondary. Everyone coming back was on the field a lot last year. The jump in performance from first season seeing major playing time to the second has historically pretty high. Look at the 2010 secondary vs. 2011. The 2014 vs. 2015 is another example. Many of the same players just way more time in the fire. CNS runs a complicated defense especially in the secondary, and if you played sports on pretty much any level you know that practicing it is one thing, but actually doing it on game day is a whole different level. I expect Surtain to be an absolute monster this year. That young man was thrown in the fire, and he really did well especially for a freshman. Carter, Mayden, and McKinney should grow considerably. Jobe looks like the real deal, and Diggs is going to a big help. I expect this to be one of the best secondaries in the country, and you mate that to a really good group of out side pass rushers, and I like what I'm seeing on paper. We will see how it all pans out when they take the field, but I'm pretty optimistic.