Why will the Alabama defense be better/worse/the same under Golding? Make your case!

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Wait and see mode here - I haven't seen anything from PG that makes me believe he's the next great DC at Bama, but i'm hopeful.
Yea i agree with this on PG. Saban seems to like him which gives me hope. He must be doing something right that the rest of us don't see. Just not sure what it is.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The peaks and valleys of our defense seem to mostly hinge on the experience of the defense backfield. Since we don't run simpler scheme stuff to negate the spread, our ability to contain it hinges on talent and experience. Hard to argue with a man who has 6 national titles but we probably could've scheme changed to something like what Dantonio runs at Sparty (quarters heavy 43 base defense) and won an additional title or two just off better backend containment of the spread.

Seems like our secondary will be better than last year so I suspect our fortunes will fare better.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Yea i agree with this on PG. Saban seems to like him which gives me hope. He must be doing something right that the rest of us don't see. Just not sure what it is.
To state the obvious, this is the same Nick Saban who a year ago dismantled his coaching staff, hyped the rebuild, then tore it down again. At this point, skepticism is in order. I don't think we would be out of line to withhold judgment on Golding for now.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
To state the obvious, this is the same Nick Saban who a year ago dismantled his coaching staff, hyped the rebuild, then tore it down again. At this point, skepticism is in order. I don't think we would be out of line to withhold judgment on Golding for now.
Nick Saban didn't tear down the rebuild. He wanted Enos and Gattis to remain position coaches. They wanted to be coordinators, so they left on their own. Tosh took the DC job a year too early. He knew it. Saban knew it. The price of recruiting sometimes is to keep a coach that might not be properly suited for the duties (original plan was for JP to stay another year and groom Tosh for the 2019 season). That was the case with Tosh. Kool's style apparently didn't mess well with Saban, so he was gone on his own. Key was the main guy Saban pushed out the door after the season.

That's not really Saban tearing it down.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Key was the main guy Saban pushed out the door after the season.
I hate it turned out that way, but the move with the OL coach was at least a year overdue. We’ve had NFL-level talent in the OL for several years, but have under-achieved it, across enough turnover in personnel that it’s clear players weren’t the issue.

Consistent problems in short yardage (despite multiple RBs now in the NFL) and spotty ones in pass protection. Against good teams, our OL could be positively pedestrian, never mind multiple draft choices after the season was over.

Regardless of why, it’s clear the predecessor wasn’t a good fit. We and he needed the change.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I don't believe talent all over the field is a problem. The problem, as I see it, is player attrition and coaching turnover. A 5 star recruits signs with Alabama, enrolls early and participates in spring ball. He plays some on special teams as a true freshman, and possibly in games against FCS opponents. His second year he gains more playing time and may actually start some games or is a first in sub. His junior year he is a seasoned starter, has a breakout year and is gone to the NFL.

As for coaching turnover, it hurts continuity in teaching and I believe it also affects overall team morale. As for Golding, he is still an unproven quantity, but I feel he has great potential. Not sure the defense will be markedly better than last year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I hate it turned out that way, but the move with the OL coach was at least a year overdue. We’ve had NFL-level talent in the OL for several years, but have under-achieved it, across enough turnover in personnel that it’s clear players weren’t the issue.

Consistent problems in short yardage (despite multiple RBs now in the NFL) and spotty ones in pass protection. Against good teams, our OL could be positively pedestrian, never mind multiple draft choices after the season was over.

Regardless of why, it’s clear the predecessor wasn’t a good fit. We and he needed the change.
I know he wasn't very popular after his first year or two, but I wonder how Cristobal would have done with the last two OLs. Remember, he coached TEs and Ts when Key was first hired (2016). Saw vast improvement in OJ Howard's blocking in that one year. Mario brought the NFL guys Key coached in while he had to coach the lesser OLs Jeff Stoutland signed.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

just like the discussion of the defense, the OL performance can sometimes come down to one player being a weak link, especially with the zone blocking schemes that we run which require the OL to execute combo-blocks with a lot of timing. In other words, if there are 4 guys with NFL talent, but one that for whatever reason doesn't execute correctly, the unit as a whole won't perform as well as they could.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I think that he probably was calling the defense at the end of the season, but maybe not. I do know that he coached your ILBs and they all regressed last year significantly - all of them.

I tend to agree. I’m open to being persuaded, but so far I’m not impressed at all with Golding.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I think the defense will be somewhat better in 2019 but it may be hard to say if it is because of Golding or because the players have more experience. The defense a year ago was very "green" and CNS even said before last season we'd need to score points. I think we would have struggled with any DC last season. We have more experience now and if we stay healthy it should be a good Bama defense but probably not an elite Bama defense.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.