Sheridan sets line on hypothetical Bama-Clemson Week 1 game, digs on the Gus Bus

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
There's no logical reason to think Auburn will be better than a 7-9 win team next year, and maybe worse than that.

The problem is that they have a long and storied history of confounding expectations, both ways. When predicted to be 10+ wins good, they invariably can't handle the expectations, and strangle on them. Whenever they are predicted to struggle, they seem to wring a Heisman-like performance out of an unexpected place.

They scare me in JH, with nothing to lose at the end of the season.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
A&M had Aubie beat last year at Gerbil/Hare. 10 point lead, 7+ minutes left in game, possession in Auburn territory, then Mond throws the ball all the way across the field for an INT.
We finally keyed on Williams and the other RBs on the read, forcing Mond to try to beat us on that side of the ball, then the offense finally got it together as Gus finally scrapped the run game for the afternoon and went full Air Raid.

Kicker was that it was the first home win for either team in the series since aTm joined the SEC.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
There's no logical reason to think Auburn will be better than a 7-9 win team next year, and maybe worse than that.

The problem is that they have a long and storied history of confounding expectations. OthwYs. When predicted to be 10+ wins good, they invariably can't handle the expectations, and strangle on them. Whenever they are predicted to struggle, they seem to wring a Heisman-like performance out of an unexpected place.

They scare me in JH, with nothing to lose at the end of the season.
We should scare you with something on the line too, seeing as the last two wins in the series were with the SECW on the line.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
We should scare you with something on the line too, seeing as the last two wins in the series were with the SECW on the line.
The "something on the line" narrative is a red herring. The reason AU plays better with something on the line is that the reason there is something on the line is because AU is a very good team in those years. Alabama beat and in most cases stomped AU with a "BCS or CFP appearance on the the line for Alabama" in 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015 and maybe 2016. Of course both of those wins, while not flukes - AU was good, were "odd" games with unusual circumstances unfavorable to Alabama. That's the 2 wins AU has in the last 8 games. AU is not intimidated, neither are most others, but Bama is dominating the series.

SkullDuckery

1st Team
Dec 28, 2015
They don’t leave Auburn the whole month of November. If they beat Oregon it may be a run at the title this year.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
The "something on the line" narrative is a red herring. The reason AU plays better with something on the line is that the reason there is something on the line is because AU is a very good team in those years. Alabama beat and in most cases stomped AU with a "BCS or CFP appearance on the the line for Alabama" in 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015 and maybe 2016. Of course both of those wins, while not flukes - AU was good, were "odd" games with unusual circumstances unfavorable to Alabama. That's the 2 wins AU has in the last 8 games. AU is not intimidated, neither are most others, but Bama is dominating the series.
Don't know why I get the wall of text. 4Q's the one worried about Auburn with "nothing to lose", not me. Just making the point that the last 2 Auburn wins in the series decided the west.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I have been around Alabama/Auburn games for longer than most on here and I can tell you rarely is Auburn without a chance to beat Alabama whether the game has something on the line or not. Auburn has always recruited well, not quite to Alabama's level, but certainly a top 10-12 class in most years. Where Auburn often falls short is coaching, since Shug Jordan, the only Auburn coach of any stature was Pat Dye, hell their hiring mistakes have been worse than ours, with the exception of CNS. They are a dangerous opponent, especially at JH stadium.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I have been around Alabama/Auburn games for longer than most on here and I can tell you rarely is Auburn without a chance to beat Alabama whether the game has something on the line or not. Auburn has always recruited well, not quite to Alabama's level, but certainly a top 10-12 class in most years. Where Auburn often falls short is coaching, since Shug Jordan, the only Auburn coach of any stature was Pat Dye, hell their hiring mistakes have been worse than ours, with the exception of CNS. They are a dangerous opponent, especially at JH stadium.
Agree with the bolded statement - they are a top 15-17 all time college football program. Some Bama fans just don't want to acknowledge that.

OTOH, AU didn't really have a chance in 08, 11, 12, 15, 16, 18. That's 5 of 8 and 6 of 11.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Don't know why I get the wall of text. 4Q's the one worried about Auburn with "nothing to lose", not me. Just making the point that the last 2 Auburn wins in the series decided the west.
Was it really a wall? I know I quoted your post, but the response was not directed primarily to you but to the Alabama fans who think Bama often chokes vs AU with something on the line. IMO, the primary reason Bama has lost those games is that AU has a better team in those years. Also, pointing out that Alabama has had a BCS or CFP berth on the line in every year since 2008 except for 2010 and as it turns out 2017. Bama has won 8 of 9 of those games. (Again, not primarily directed towards you since I did not know your stance.)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Agree with the bolded statement - they are a top 15-17 all time college football program. Some Bama fans just don't want to acknowledge that.

OTOH, AU didn't really have a chance in 08, 11, 12, 15, 16, 18. That's 5 of 8 and 6 of 11.

2015 you are incorrect. A 6-6 Auburn took us to the 4th quarter.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
2015 you are incorrect. A 6-6 Auburn took us to the 4th quarter.
That’s a stretch. That game was never in doubt. The score might not have been great, but Alabama was going to win it.

Look at the stats. 30% of Auburn’s yards came off the tipped 77 yard TD pass to Jason Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
That’s a stretch. That game was never in doubt. The score might not have been great, but Alabama was going to win it.

Look at the stats. 30% of Auburn’s yards came off the tipped 77 yard TD pass to Jason Smith.

Well I can tell you for a fact from someone at the game that no one in the Alabama section had warm fuzzies about the game being in hand until we stopped them on 4th down late in the game. So 0 stretch. They made a very competitive game.

And if we are basing a game off stats then why was the National Championship last year a blowout Clemson’s way. Or why did we beat LSU in 2017? You can’t base a game’s outcome solely on stats.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well I can tell you for a fact from someone at the game that no one in the Alabama section had warm fuzzies about the game being in hand until we stopped them on 4th down late in the game. So 0 stretch. They made a very competitive game.

And if we are basing a game off stats then why was the National Championship last year a blowout Clemson’s way. Or why did we beat LSU in 2017? You can’t base a game’s outcome solely on stats.
And I can tell you as someone not watching the game at Auburn during their voodoo stage, the game wasn’t in doubt.

Not basing the game off stats. Using the stats as evidence the game wasn’t in doubt. When one play is 30% of your yards and 54% of your points, your offense didn’t do much for the game.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
And I can tell you as someone not watching the game at Auburn during their voodoo stage, the game wasn’t in doubt.

Not basing the game off stats. Using the stats as evidence the game wasn’t in doubt. When one play is 30% of your yards and 54% of your points, your offense didn’t do much for the game.

Well I seriously beg to differ. 2 of our touchdowns were big play flukes as well.

ddsmit

Suspended
Jan 3, 2003
Pensacola, FL
A 40% passer (Burrow) for more than half the year isn’t a good quarterback by any stretch of the imagination. Had it not been for Ole Miss, Rice, and UCF he would’ve had 40% for the season. Unless Oeaux found some quarterback guru that we are unaware of then it’s safe to say he isn’t going to get any better, and the losses are going to be far more with that defense being decimated by the draft. Danny Etling was actually better than this “messiah”.

Mond has some of his best weapons on offense. Most importantly his TE. He is still going to make plays. But again he has faced this Auburn defense twice and been donkey punched by it twice. Unless you think he is due then I think year 3 vs Auburn will go like year 1 and 2

LSU under Oeaux is due to have that signature Oeaux collapse and I’m calling for it this year after they get destroyed in Austin week 2. I’m telling y’all here and now that this aTm team is going to take a step back and I’ve had several very knowledgeable aTm fans tell me that this is not going to be a good year, and they are predicting a belk and Music City Bowl type year at best. Does that necessarily translate to Auburn being #2 in the West... no but I’m playing the odds that LSU is the clown show that we have been thinking they were destined to be for the last two years and aTm is a few years from something.
I think LSU has had a problem getting quality offensive tackles this year. Could be a long year for Burrow.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Years ago, I gave up trying to predict the barn.

They confound expectations both ways. Most dangerous when they're an underdog, especially at home. But can't handle pre-season expectations.

I don't know what they're going to do. Their QB is likely to be a true freshman. They return no credible running game. And while all offenses are QB-centric, Malzahn's is off the charts in that respect. Plus, it leans heavily on a good power back between the tackles. There's no reason to think they will have either next year.

OL should be better, and who knows on D? Plus, with the transfers they've had, they're thin and vulnerable to injury.

All that said, they have a remarkable ability to rise up in adversity and cause all manner of trouble.

I wish I could predict them...Warren Buffett and Bill Gates would have me on their speed dial. Buffett and Gates don't have me on their speed dial.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.